• Please log in to reply
1122 replies to this topic

#1121 Crazy Monkey

Crazy Monkey

Hot

• Extreme
  • 651 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 07:21 AM

.....uuuhhmmmm....why? The natural fermentation process displaces the oxygen. Been working for way longer than dry ice has been around....

I've seen pictures of half empty jars with lots of airspace on top. Just a random thought about getting the oxygen out of to keep any nasties from growing before the fermentation kicks in.

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#1122 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 48,445 posts
  • aka:Pookie, Satan Claus
  • (x3)

Posted 18 April 2019 - 05:11 PM

That's different than what I remember seeing before...like 6 years ago. Inaccurate reporting or inaccurate memory????? Lol...let's not bet on which one....

Many people think it is fermented because of the way they process and store the peppers in barrels. However this is not a ferment, but a base for their products. It's a pepper mash with vinegar and the two chemical preservatives they use. When they finish Sriracha, they puree with garlic and sugar. There is no fermentation happening in the barrels, it's just like a large jar of chili paste (which they also sell). ;)

#1123 salsalady

salsalady

On Fire!

• Extreme Biz
  • 14,592 posts
  • aka:SL, HSL
  • (x8)

Posted 18 April 2019 - 07:07 PM

I've seen pictures of half empty jars with lots of airspace on top. Just a random thought about getting the oxygen out of to keep any nasties from growing before the fermentation kicks in.

Ah, I get where you're coming from. I suppose it would work. Usually the salt keeps the nasties in check at the start. I often add a leaf of cabbage on top of the peppers to get the fermenting started fast and get the gas cranking. The cabbage leaf can be eaten or discarded at processing time.

No one in our area has dry ice, ever, there are a few stores 40 to 50 miles that carry dry ice in the summer.

If you try it, post pics and tell us about it. I'd love to know if it works.
SL
PureEvilProducts
The Chile Addict's prayer-"Lord, grant me the wisdom to know it will be too hot, the courage to eat it anyway, and the serenity to accept the pain that follows. Amen"
PepperPeopleRock! 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests