• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Best chopper to use

What does everyone use to chop up their peppers and other ingredients? I was using a Slap Chop for a while until I slapped it too hard too many times. :crazy: Chopping with a knife to finish up a case of sauce, after the Slap Chop malfunction, consumed WAY too much time! I don't want to put my peppers in a blender or food processor because when I cook them for sauce, I like to leave them coarse. Thanks in advance!

Cheap coffee grinders work excellent for dry pods. I usually rough grind pods in bulk in my cuisinart or magic bullet and then made finer in a cheap coffee grinder. Just "pulse" them for a rough grind.

Edit: Ok now that I re-read, its fresh pods you,re talking about. I just sauce them in a pot with a stick blender

I would use the blender on short pulses. get everything else in there and blended then the peppers last and pulse...pulse....pulse

I do it by hand - if there is a lot I bust out a mini-chopper if there is a mobydickulous amounts out comes the cuisinart processor and set the attachements or pulse away

Thanks for your suggestions but I do not want to use a blender. I'd like to add that I also chop fresh tomatoes and smoked peppers, which would liquefy in a blender. I need something that is sharp, quick and durable.

There is nothing I can't do with a knife. Give me sharp french knife, and there is nothing I can't mince, chop, filet, bone, dice, skin, butcher, or slice. My Queez gets little use. I'd love to buy a Mandolin but really can't justify it.

I think you're under-estimating the food processor. It can coarse chop or liquify, it all depends on how long you hold down the button.

Try doing each ingredient separately, so you get the desired chop for each one instead of dumping them all in together.

If you're doing enough for a case of small woozies, that's enought to warrant using the food processor instead of by hand.

Or use the food processor for the chiles and chop the toms by hand.

Think of the process- you want minced garlic, fine dices onions, more coarsely diced chiles...
Throw the garlic in first, mince away, then add the onion pieces for a few quick bursts, then the chiles for a couple more pulses...there you go! Minced garlic, fine diced onions and chopped chiles!

I've found it hard to control the texture with a blender, but a food processor is indispensible in my kitchen.

jmho

There is nothing I can't do with a knife. Give me sharp french knife, and there is nothing I can't mince, chop, filet, bone, dice, skin, butcher, or slice. My Queez gets little use. I'd love to buy a Mandolin but really can't justify it.
Ditto - Love the mandolin - Especially useful for the anal retentive cook :cool: Makes my life easy(ier)

Anybody try the bullet express? Looks kind of cool but you never know

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNOVQgKUK1I

Could always get another slap chopper. Pampered chef makes a great one with a really good warranty too.

I just purchased one of these. I have heard their products are top of the line so we will see. The one I broke was an off-brand, cheap-o. It was only a matter of time before I slapped it into the garbage.

My oster blender blade attachment fits perfectly on Quart sized mason jars. Sum has taken a mason jar full of dried pods, screwed the attachment on, and BOOM, instant magic bullet.

I do like the slap choppers, especially for fine chopping, but with the mezzulana i can chop things to the exact size I want without the time it takes with a knife.

Back