• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

nuthead's first grow log

Hi, I'm Michael, I live in Penang, Malaysia. This is my grow log. Everything started with a pepper plant I bought. I don't know much about it, except that it's a chinense from what people told me. Seeing as how that plant has been growing well, I went out and bought a packet of birds eye chilli or cili padi as they call it here. Not knowing any better, I dumped all the contents out into the soil. Well, needless to say, I have alot of small plants right now with true leaves. I have also managed to germinate and sprout some seeds of the unknown Chinense.

Overview of my container garden
5940023215_1870467e45.jpg

Cili Padi/bird's eye chilli on 13th June
5940030751_74ea1aeaa0.jpg

Transplanted Cili Padi on 15th June
5940022433_cc7b51e91a.jpg

Undetermined Chinense 15th June [has been with me for a month, bought as a matured plant with woody stem and pods]
5940577052_8a12d67c46.jpg

5940577544_f0b2973385.jpg

First pod growth with me. A few others are starting to pod up as well. Quite a number of flower drops though. About 3-5 per day. Not very worried as there are plenty more buds coming up.
5940578050_d2064559ed.jpg

Some deformation of new growth, thinking maybe calcium deficiency or over watering. No aphids around. Ideas?
5940022905_697fec7e48.jpg

Seedling of unknown Chinense
5940646168_0f5fd8cd5b.jpg

Anyway, these two types of chillies are the ones I have right now. Most probably will be giving most of the birds eye away as I don't have ground to put them in. Just having a go at gardening. Will expand with other varieties if I do come across them.

Lotsa little babies! :cool:

I really hope for your sake it's not, but that curling might be (and very well could be) caused by broad mites. :(

Broad mite toxin usually causes new growth to curl downward, but in my experience with the little buggers, occasionally some of my infested plants do exhibit very similar looking damage (usually as a first sign).

First signs of mite infestation on one of my plants:

IMG_3767.jpg

short update on my plants

Birds Eyes in makeshift pots 25th June
5970985069_bfd68fe92d.jpg

Chinense X/unknown pods 25th June. There 7 pods right now on the plant. Flowers seem to be dropping alot, might be the tropical heat, getting shade cloth soon.
5971538430_f8311a9433.jpg

5971540750_e9699b6497.jpg

Chinense X seedling 25th June. Seems to be doing well.
5971539990_7cc5309300.jpg

5971540402_34fc4fc2fb.jpg

Leaf curling and bubbling, I am still not sure of the cause. Thinking over watering and calcium deficiency from what I've read around. Advice?
5971612138_42f0c33654.jpg

As mentioned above, if it happen to be broad mites, are they visible to the naked eye? Any distinct tell tale signs?

Some browning on leaf ends. Could it be sunburn? Fert burn maybe? Holding back ferts until further info. Any advice on this?
5970985493_e06b93d89e.jpg

One of the two fertilizer I'm using, guano. Have used a teaspoon of this about 3 weeks ago for budding. NPK 5-18-5. There is another fertilizer that I alternate with, NPK 6-8-5. I have a feeling I might have been abit too generous with it with 1 teaspoon every two weeks.
5971541786_0408e759cb.jpg

Btw, I just bought yet another pot of unknown peppers, what are they? A Frutescens variety? There seems to be two types of pods, a spherical one and a stubby one. Both goes through some colors like purple, yellow, orange, cream and ends up red.
5971539594_bf09b97b38.jpg

5970983045_94ffb43e5b.jpg

:think:

Good news is that it does not look like broad mite damage anymore, and my guess now would be some kind of burn too.

As mentioned above, if it happen to be broad mites, are they visible to the naked eye? Any distinct tell tale signs?
Nah, definitely not visible to the naked eye. They are microscopic.

But yeah, like I said, usually mite toxin causes leaves to curl downward and go all hard and claw-like. That's probably the most distinct sign.

IMG_3761.jpg

IMG_4620.jpg

Hi Michael,

Good luck with your plants, I do find that the local birds eye chilli will grow like weeds in our weather . They germinate easily and grow very fast. I bought some fresh ones from the market that is supposedly imported from Vietnam. I asked for the hottest and that's what they recommended me. Its hotter then our normal chilli padi but I enjoy it very much with soy sauce as a dip. I took out the seeds from one chilli pod and spread them into some soil and I got > 30 germinated maybe >90% rate. Took 2 of the healthiest plant and potted them and now I see the first flower buds (2 months). The chinense type that I got the seeds overseas is another different story. I have plenty germinated but the grow rate has been slow. I see reasonable growth rate using jiffy 7 peat pellet as compare to normal soil mix. I think chilli love very light soil mix. I bought a Chillipadi plant from Tesco a few days back, the soil mix is very light with very healthy roots. Upon visual observation I notice its either 100% coco coir, or mixture of Coco Coir and peat moss with a sprinkle of perlite. I am currently leaning towards a 50% soil mix 50% coco coir to make the soil much lighter and with addition of some perlite.

Mark T

Good news is that it does not look like broad mite damage anymore, and my guess now would be some kind of burn too.

But yeah, like I said, usually mite toxin causes leaves to curl downward and go all hard and claw-like. That's probably the most distinct sign.

Phew, that's good to hear. Thanks for the input.

Hi Michael,

Good luck with your plants, I do find that the local birds eye chilli will grow like weeds in our weather . They germinate easily and grow very fast. I bought some fresh ones from the market that is supposedly imported from Vietnam. I asked for the hottest and that's what they recommended me. Its hotter then our normal chilli padi but I enjoy it very much with soy sauce as a dip. I took out the seeds from one chilli pod and spread them into some soil and I got > 30 germinated maybe >90% rate. Took 2 of the healthiest plant and potted them and now I see the first flower buds (2 months). The chinense type that I got the seeds overseas is another different story. I have plenty germinated but the grow rate has been slow. I see reasonable growth rate using jiffy 7 peat pellet as compare to normal soil mix. I think chilli love very light soil mix. I bought a Chillipadi plant from Tesco a few days back, the soil mix is very light with very healthy roots. Upon visual observation I notice its either 100% coco coir, or mixture of Coco Coir and peat moss with a sprinkle of perlite. I am currently leaning towards a 50% soil mix 50% coco coir to make the soil much lighter and with addition of some perlite.

Mark T

I see. Are Jiffy 7 and perlite available locally? Coco coir is sabut kelapa right?

Hi Michael,

Jiffy 7 peat pellet are used for germination, I got them from Soon Huat seed co. at Beach street. They sell for RM1 each. I don't know any nursery that sell seed starter soil mix. Yes Coco coir is sabut kelapa. Perlite is harder to find locally. I got them from Wellgro Horti in KL. Later I found a nursery at Air Itam/ Paya terubong main road toward balik pulau that sell them in small packet. PM me if you want to find out more.

Mark T

Some pests that I've come across recently, aphids, mealybug[possibly from the rambutans we buy], some bug smaller/slimmer than an aphid that is long and moves around fast, I'm thinking thrips maybe. Currently getting rid of them by squashing them with my fingers. All in sparse populations, nothing too bad. Wouldn't tie them to the leaf curl and bubbling yet.

IMG_3761.jpg

IMG_4620.jpg

Ah, depressing pics gasificada, reminds me of my champion bhut over the winter I was growing indoors, I lost it to something that like that though the bottoms of the leaves did have some kind of small white (much smaller than aphids) visible aspect...

Ah, depressing pics gasificada, reminds me of my champion bhut over the winter I was growing indoors, I lost it to something that like that though the bottoms of the leaves did have some kind of small white (much smaller than aphids) visible aspect...
Sorry to hear that. I really know how much it sucks! :(

And yeah, I can usually spot them too.... but only just! If you look closely at this photo again, you will see very tiny little white dots on some of the leaves:

IMG_3767.jpg

And this one here:

IMG_3797.jpg

You can't just make out a definitive shape is all.

It has been a barrage of bad signs lately. I have spotted thrips, aphids, some scale-like thing, mealybug, and what seems to be broad mites under the microscope, it looked like little water droplets. :eek: I'm hoping those are just the thrips eggs and not broad mites. Although there seems to me some damage that looks like the ones posted above.

alot of them running around on all my plants
6002578024_580ec58e0c.jpg

Can anyone identify this thing? It's the scale-like thing I mentioned. Looks like a horseshoe crab shape.
6002576670_788ac0af1c.jpg

6002577320_3356edd4e7.jpg

Damage on my new growth
6002031215_c9e8dabfe8.jpg

Aside from those, the leaf curl, bubbling and burns are not clearing up yet. Two of my Chinense X pods have dropped off as well. I'm hoping you guys could chime in on how to control and eliminate them. I'm just a new home gardener and I don't have much understanding/access to most of the pesticide/chemicals mentioned frequently on the forums as well.

I greatly appreciate all the help.

It has been a barrage of bad signs lately. I have spotted thrips, aphids, some scale-like thing, mealybug, and what seems to be broad mites under the microscope, it looked like little water droplets. :eek: I'm hoping those are just the thrips eggs and not broad mites. Although there seems to me some damage that looks like the ones posted above.

alot of them running around on all my plants
6002578024_580ec58e0c.jpg

Can anyone identify this thing? It's the scale-like thing I mentioned. Looks like a horseshoe crab shape.
6002576670_788ac0af1c.jpg

6002577320_3356edd4e7.jpg

Damage on my new growth
6002031215_c9e8dabfe8.jpg

Aside from those, the leaf curl, bubbling and burns are not clearing up yet. Two of my Chinense X pods have dropped off as well. I'm hoping you guys could chime in on how to control and eliminate them. I'm just a new home gardener and I don't have much understanding/access to most of the pesticide/chemicals mentioned frequently on the forums as well.

I greatly appreciate all the help.

Hi there,

The insect picture shown is thrips larvae. I am having the same leaf curl on the young buds of birds eye chilli. Will try neem spray and see if it works. Check out this site with photos and videos. http://mrec.ifas.ufl...thripslinks.htm
The horseshoe crab could be insect eggs? Not really sure.
Hope it helps.

Mark T

Back