• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Preserving

First time grower here and have a question:

My Gypsy Frying Pepper plants are producing fruit in great abundance. I am concerned that I cannot roast and fry enough to consume them as rapidly as they ripen.

Is there any way to preserve these that will leave them useful for something? Can they be frozen or dehydrated?

I just hate to waste any of my babies after all the effort to get to this point.

i am new too but with my research i saw that you obviously you can dehydrate them as long as they are stored properly
as far as freezing i imagine that peppers like most fruit will be mushy after thawing from the freezer since the expanding freezing water in the cells destroy the cell walls
it should still be useable in sauce or cooked in food

Greetings frjeff,
I'm not familiar with those peppers...but they appear to be a mini-bell hybrid similar to some red and yellow yum yum's that I'm growing (also in over-abundance).
So...based upon that observation, here's a few of my ideas ideas:
I'm planning to de-seed and freeze some in pint size freezer bags that I can cook with in the future.
While they do soften up, they still work great in stews, casseroles and pasta sauces.
I'm also going to pickle some with onions and garlic using a sweet bread and butter pickle recipe.
They will also see some action as an additive in a variety of hot sauces.
My guess is that they will be tough to dehydrate successfully due to their thick flesh, but not impossible by any means.

Greetings frjeff,
I'm not familiar with those peppers...but they appear to be a mini-bell hybrid similar to some red and yellow yum yum's that I'm growing (also in over-abundance).
So...based upon that observation, here's a few of my ideas ideas:
I'm planning to de-seed and freeze some in pint size freezer bags that I can cook with in the future.
While they do soften up, they still work great in stews, casseroles and pasta sauces.
I'm also going to pickle some with onions and garlic using a sweet bread and butter pickle recipe.
They will also see some action as an additive in a variety of hot sauces.
My guess is that they will be tough to dehydrate successfully due to their thick flesh, but not impossible by any means.

+1

If you do dehydrate the little fellas it's recommended to do it slowly…produces a better product.
Good luck!!

Back