• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

what kind of chile is this ?

I'm curious what some of you thought this is, I was gonna put this up some time ago but didnt, so this pic is a little old but the plant/pods havent changed much nor color. it was labeld "orange plum hab" with 70 days, but I cant find nothing remotely close to that name,pod shape,mature time. I have my guess's but I'd like to hear some others also.

DSCF2714.jpg

keep the guess's coming
as for your guess's Razyrsharpe I looked them up & I dont think they are those. the pods on mine are 3"-3 1/2" long & about 3/4" wide. & suppose to ripen to yellow or red & be hot,so they say! then why cant I find info on this chile ? so I really dont know heck it could be sweet & turn purple far as I know.

ok heres a pod that turned color, is this a Bulgarian carrot ? I had a different guess but when the pod turned to be orange the bulgarian carrot was the 1st guess.
so anyone that have grown bulgarian carrots have your plants looked like this ?
& if this is a BC I guess I dont need to wait until next season to grow them ;)

DSCF2818.jpg

Judging by the growth habit and leaves of the plant, I would say definitely not Bulgarian Carrot, I think leaves on your plant look more like a chinense... Furthermore, my Bulgarian Carrot fruits that are not that deep orange, mine also seem smoother. BUT, could also just be a different strain... Guess, you might be able to say more when you have tryed it, does it have the typical chinense flavour/aroma?

I have been growing Bulgarian Carrot for 3 years and have some shots of the plant, so compare for yourself...
http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb157/donnie_1978/capsicum_2007/Bulgarian Carrot/
(will soon add more pics to this album, maybe later today...)

Photos from last year...
http://www.malusrustica.dk/capsicum/sorterne/bulgarian_carrot_pics.htm

I was gonna leave it on the plant to see if it changed to another color after orange, but I figure I have many more pods to see if they do, so I pick that one this morning.
as for the smell it kinda had a fruity smell, the 1st taste gives you something like a sweet juicey fruity taste & then the heat sets in & IMO its HOT! I know everyone is different when it comes to their opinion of spice level but its worth keeping seeds & growing again.

my other guess was "orange teapot" but my pods are bigger than OT are suppose to be.

Hmmm, sounds great, Chilehunter... Does the plant still produce flowers and how many pods per node, I can't tell for sure from the photo...(?)

I am thinking it could be a baccatum, maybe Aji Amarillo or something a bit alike...

yea I suppose that'd help to know about the flowers & such, I forgot to mention that ;)
yes its still putting out flowers & I think little pods starting to forum or at least flowers in the making.
I dont know what nodes truely are ? but I'm guessing its the part where the branch Y's off ? & if thats it then it has 1 pod per node but theres one that has 2 per node in 1 spot, I remember seeing up to 4 per node flowers not pods.
as for flowers theres only 1 right now & it has 6 petals & just your basic plain white petals with a blueish green center. but I've also seen flowers with 5 petals & not sure but maybe even 4 petals months ago ?
I wonder if this would be a hybrid because of different ammount of petals per flowers, or is this sometimes normal to have flowers on plants to not always have the same ammount of petals ?

chilehunter said:
yea I suppose that'd help to know about the flowers & such, I forgot to mention that :doh:
yes its still putting out flowers & I think little pods starting to forum or at least flowers in the making.
I dont know what nodes truely are ? but I'm guessing its the part where the branch Y's off ? & if thats it then it has 1 pod per node but theres one that has 2 per node in 1 spot, I remember seeing up to 4 per node flowers not pods.
as for flowers theres only 1 right now & it has 6 petals & just your basic plain white petals with a blueish green center. but I've also seen flowers with 5 petals & not sure but maybe even 4 petals months ago ?
I wonder if this would be a hybrid because of different ammount of petals per flowers, or is this sometimes normal to have flowers on plants to not always have the same ammount of petals ?

I have also noticed flowers with different numbers of petals on varieties that should be and seem stable...

Well, due to your flower description we can now exclude the baccatum varieties as they have yellow/green spots on the inside of the petals.:cool:

Yes, nodes are where the plants branches (Y's) and sets fruit(s). Chinenses make several flowers per node and may also set several fruits per node, so if you have noticed 4 flowers at a branching (Y) then I guess it would be a chinense. Annuums can have nodes that are so close to each other that they, at first sight, appear to have more than one fruit per node though, so take a good look...;)

Back