• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Cholula Chipotle Hot Sauce

I wasn't expecting miracles from a basic off-the-supermarket-shelf hot sauce, but wow, what a disappointment this was!
The flavor wasn't bad (slightly sweet with a hint of smokiness and the expected vinaigriness), just not anywhere near bold enough.
I believe that you should be able to use a reasonable amount of sauce and have the flavor shine through, especially when it's chipotle.
This won't work on anything but the most mildly flavored foods (unless you like to use half a bottle)....scrambled eggs maybe???

Try again Cholula!!!!

049733830119.jpg

Cholula Chipotle Hot Sauce (5oz./150ml) Ingredients: Water, vinegar (white and apple), sugar, peppers (chipotle, guajillo, arbol and piquin), salt, natural flavors, spices, xanthan gum, silicon dioxide, citric acid and caramel.

$2.69 for a 5 oz. bottle at my local Wegman's.

:)

Haven't tried this one, though I do rather like the flavour of the standard Cholula, but that too is quite mellow.. I don't buy it because it doesn't last long enough.

....though I do rather like the flavour of the standard Cholula, but that too is quite mellow.. I don't buy it because it doesn't last long enough.

I agree, standard Cholula isn't bad, I like it better than the standard Tabasco.
The reverse is true when it comes to their chipotle sauces, the Tabasco Chipotle is much bolder, and to me, more appealing.

I agree, standard Cholula isn't bad, I like it better than the standard Tabasco.
The reverse is true when it comes to their chipotle sauces, the Tabasco Chipotle is much bolder, and to me, more appealing.

I concur.

I'll take standard Cholula over standard Tabasco any day (I admit.... I do love me some Cholula). And as far as the chipotle ones go, I've never actually had the Cholula one, but I nearly fell over when I discovered how good the Tabasco one was.

I haven't tried that one either :( I never see it here in Australia... Most places don't even have the Jalapeno/habanero ones... :-/
I can get the chipotle Tabasco from a local Mexican joint.... but at $15 a pop, well, let's just say it's not something I can afford to indulge in regularly.

It's silly, standard Tabasco Sauce, Tabasco Green Pepper, Tabasco Habanero Sauce and the Tabasco Garlic Pepper Sauce are all only readily available in the tiny 2 oz. bottle in this area. The Tabasco Chipotle sauce is the only one that's always available in a 5 oz. bottle, never a 2 oz. bottle. Almost all other mass market hot sauces in this area are in a bottle that's at least 5 ounces. :crazy:

tabasco-Wegmans.png

I can get the chipotle Tabasco from a local Mexican joint.... but at $15 a pop, well, let's just say it's not something I can afford to indulge in regularly.

Whoa... That's insane. What is it about mex stores in Aus?
I went to a couple in Melbourne expecting them to be cheap... At both the only hot sauce under 15 bucks was El Yucateco... :(

Whoa... That's insane. What is it about mex stores in Aus?
I went to a couple in Melbourne expecting them to be cheap... At both the only hot sauce under 15 bucks was El Yucateco... :(
Yeah, it's nuts!

Although, I wonder what it costs to import some of those sauces? One time I was gonna place an order with Cholula but the cheapest postage (not total cost.... just postage) was something like $150 for 12 bottles or something insane like that! :shocked:

Yeah, it's nuts!

Although, I wonder what it costs to import some of those sauces? One time I was gonna place an order with Cholula but the cheapest postage (not total cost.... just postage) was something like $150 for 12 bottles or something insane like that! :shocked:

Yeah, I guess they don't sell enough to be able to buy in reasonable quantities. Pity... Australia is totally off the pulse when it comes to hot sauce (apart from the online community anyways!).

I absolutely love regular Cholula. We go through one of the BIG bottles every couple months. I was really disappointed by the chipotle. It reminds me of the Taco Bell chipotle sauce packets with a little more spice.

hey,
I found a place that's ALOT cheaper than that mexican shop you've been going to...
http://chilemojo.com.au/index.php?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=cholula&x=0&y=0

Back