• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MarkT growing log 2011

Hello my fellow chilliheads,

This is my first time growing chillis or any other plants for the matter. I have been reading and learning from this forum and am truely inspired but the impressive chilli plants grown by the members here. My goal is to be able to successfully grow chinense varieties that are currently unavailable here in Malaysia. I have been collecting chilli seeds from Australia, South Africa, UK and Australia and so far I have successfully germinated the following type.

Bhut Jolokia Red
Bhut Jolokia Chocolate
Trinidad Scorpion Red
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
Fatalii Yellow
Trinidad Scorpion Morouga Blend
Yellow 7 Pod
Chocolate Habanero
Yellow Habanero
Red Savina
Datil
Bonda Ma Jacques
Dorset Naga
Yellow Scotch Bonnet
ThaiBirdsEye
Localchinense(unidentified)

Some issue I was facing initially were the right type of soil, temperature and amount of sunlight. I have since settled to a mixture of
45% (normal soil mix) 45% Coco coir 10% perlite and will adding in some worm casting, guano and processed chicken manure.
I germinated all my seeds outdoor with indirect sunlight and will gradually increase the amount of exposure to the sun but never full direct sunlight.
Our weather here is humid and hot with daytime temperate 30c to 35c and night time 25c to 28c. Season is either rainy or dry.

Here are some of the latest photos of my plants and materials I will be using. I plan on growing all in pots.

Thaibirdseyechilli.jpg

This is a birdseye type chilli. I collected the seeds from a fresh pod that were bought from the market. They are currently the hottest chilli sold in our market. Germination rate was very good.

tescochilli.jpg

This plant I believe is our local Cabai Burung I bought the plant from Tesco Supermarket and transplant them into a bigger pot

mycorrhizalgranulesandpowder.jpg

Did some reading about this product hopefully they will be useful.

liquid-fertilizerandneemspray.jpg

Bought some essential liquid fertilizer and bug spray. I will be using them at 1/2 dosage every 2 weeks.

Below are some of the older plants that are growing well
superhotmixture.jpg

fataliiTSred.jpg

BH-TSMB-TSBT.jpg

Here is a mystery chinense chilli I got from my friend's garden. They don't look like habanero to me? I know they are way hotter than the local birdseye chilli. I have collected the seeds and succesfully germinated some. The burning sensation on my fingers lasted 2 days when I extracted the seeds without any gloves.
localchinense.jpg

Anyway that it for today. Like to say thanks for all the info shared by fellow members in this forum. I will always welcome helpful comments and will try my best to share what I have learned with others. Thanks again

Mark T

Looking good, Mark!

All your seedlings looks healthy and will produce alot of pods for you. I have a question though, where can i get the PlantSuccess' Mycorr and the calcium supplement?

Good work Mark, I hope they all continue to grow well for you.

Do you have any pods left from your friends garden?

If so could you take another pic of it but this time cut open so we can see the insides,,,,

just a guess but I think it my have a bit of placenta inside and a strong smell...more like the bhuts or nagas???

Nice pics Mark. Burning fingers for two days, bet you'll wear gloves next time! I've just put some of the "mystery" seeds in a tea soak.

Good luck with your grow.

Looking good, Mark!

All your seedlings looks healthy and will produce alot of pods for you. I have a question though, where can i get the PlantSuccess' Mycorr and the calcium supplement?

Thanks Kiddc,

I really hope so but I guess I still have a long way to go. I got plantsuccess mycorr online from www.mycorrhizalonline.com as for the calcium supplement I got them locally from agriculture supply shop. I saw some fast improvement when I start using Fish emulsion. As for calcium, I just started using them hoping they will reduce the leaf curl.

Mark T

Good work Mark, I hope they all continue to grow well for you.

Do you have any pods left from your friends garden?

If so could you take another pic of it but this time cut open so we can see the insides,,,,

just a guess but I think it my have a bit of placenta inside and a strong smell...more like the bhuts or nagas???

Thank you JungleRain,

I really hope they will at least produce some healthy pods. Saw your grow log, truly impressive indeed. With so much variety, any favourites? Yes I will try and visit my friend garden again and steal another one to get a good picture. It has thin wall and strong smell. You could be right. Their skin are more wrinkled like bhuts and not smooth like habanero. I really could not be much of a help as I have not actually tasted a habanero before. I did ask him where he got the plant, he mention that its original source could be from Bangladesh. I have still have some more seeds if you are interested.

MarkT

Nice pics Mark. Burning fingers for two days, bet you'll wear gloves next time! I've just put some of the "mystery" seeds in a tea soak.

Good luck with your grow.

Thank you Ezzer, good luck with the mystery seeds and thank you so much for the seeds you sent me. Yes, read that latex gloves does not really work. Instead I just use plastic bag instead.

Mark T

Thank you JungleRain,

I really hope they will at least produce some healthy pods. Saw your grow log, truly impressive indeed. With so much variety, any favourites? Yes I will try and visit my friend garden again and steal another one to get a good picture. It has thin wall and strong smell. You could be right. Their skin are more wrinkled like bhuts and not smooth like habanero. I really could not be much of a help as I have not actually tasted a habanero before. I did ask him where he got the plant, he mention that its original source could be from Bangladesh. I have still have some more seeds if you are interested.

MarkT

Thanks Mark, I had a feeling the pods originated around the Bangladesh area,
I obtained some seeds from Burma which grew pods simliar to those PM sent

Hi Guys,

Its been raining cats and dogs for the past few days and finally the sun is out today. So I guess it's time to take out the camera and do an update. It's been 3 weeks since my last log pics, and a few things has since happened. Some of my plants got infected with thrips. A lesson I learn is to quarantine any plant bought outside. Most of my plants are showing good growth rate. They are fed bi weekly liquid feed of calcium, fish emulsion and worm tea.

I have transferred some Bhuts from pots to the ground in and area with partial shading. And they have really taken off compare to those planted in pots on concrete pavement. From what I was told which I agree, the constant cooler temperature of the root zone is the main factor.
3bhutonground.jpg

I planted a thaihot on the ground in the partial shaded area as well and it has taken off in terms of leaf growth. A lot of flower drop at the moment.
thaihotgrowninshade.jpg

This thaihot was kept on concrete pavement and was the biggest of the lot but has since been overtaken by the one planted on the ground in a partial shaded area. This was the same plant as my first log picture. It had a setback from thrips and spray treatment. I will move it to a partial shaded area and monitor its progress.
Thaihotplant.jpg

As another experiment I have place a potted thaihot that was not growing well next to the healthy one that was planted on the ground in partial shade and within 3 days the new leaves are darkening up. I want to test if the soil mix that I am using have anything to do with the plant's growth rate.
recoveringplants.jpg

I have potted 3 thaihot using the same soil mix. They are fed with different fertilizer. -1. Chemical fert NPK 15 15 15 -2. Chicken Manure pellet and -3. Vermicompost
Will have regular update on the progress
fertilizer-test.jpg

Sign of flower bud on my Chocolate Bhut Jolokia. :-)
Choc-Bhut-Buds.jpg

A healthy looking Butch T on a partial shaded are
Healthy-Butch-T.jpg

Tesco plant that I believe is the culprit for my Thrips infestation. I have prune off all the leaves and spray them with organic insecticide. They are showing sign of recovery
tescoplant.jpg

Recently have acquired new seeds. Thanks to generous forum members Ezzer, Junglerain and Ajijoe. Have also purchased from Judy Pepperlover.
Looking forward to germinating them. I have acquired some 10 gallon smart pots and will use them to hopefully help reduce the root zone temperature while allowing them to have more sunlight.

Alright then , thats it for now. Thanks again for your compliments an encouragement.

Mark T

Hi Friends,

Its been 2 weeks since my last update. Weather been cloudy with rain and thunderstorm most of the time. Luckily the plants are doing alright. My superhots are starting to take off with branching and flower nodes forming. Aphids are still around but are properly dealt with using pytherins. Smart pots have arrived and I have transplanted a few older plants with it. The 10 Gallon smart pot will be my final pot for the plants. Ok.. let see

Below is my test experiment where I planted 3 seedling using the same soil mix but using different type of fertilizer. Result is pretty surprising and yet interesting.
Fastest growing plant is the one with chemical fertilizer NPK 15 15 15. (Back)
Lagging behind and second place is Vermicompost fertilizer (Left)
Last place at the moment is processed chicken manure (Front)
Having said that the fastest growing plant seem to attract alot of aphids and if not for my treatment it would have suffer sever damage. While the other 2 with organic fertilizer are practically almost free from aphids.
fertilizertest2.jpg

Tesco plant that I fully trim off the foliage has started to recover well
recovering-tesco.jpg

Experiment with a plant that was placed in a shady area show healthy growth albeit slow, I believe its due to the cloudy weather as well as too much shade.
recoveringplant1.jpg

My fastest maturing superhots. Chocolate Bhut Jolokia from THSC is starting to flower with 5 flower nodes per branching.
chocbhutflower.jpg

Healthy Fatalii plant
fatalii.jpg

Healthy Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
butch-T.jpg

Assorted plants
assortedplants.jpg

I have since germinated many new varieties that I got from Ajijoe with between 50 to 100% germination rate, the list include

Aribibe Gusano
Aji Cajamarca
Jamaican Hot Chocolate
Yellow Bhut
Yellow Devil's Tongue
Red Caribbean Habanero
Peach Habalokia
Neon Habanero
Mustard Habanero
Cappucino Habanero
Chocolate Scotch Bonnet
Red Scotch Bonnet
White Bullet Habanero
Ivory Habanero
West Indian Red Habanero
Chocolate Congo Habalokia
Red Habalokia
Sweet Chocolate Cherry
Cherry Bomb
Red Rocoto
Bih Jolokia from Pepperlover (80% germinated so far 5 days)

Alright then, I got a feeling I will have alot of transplanting to do in the next few weeks. Thats it for now.
Thanks for reading.

Mark T

Looking good, Mark.

Those smart pots looks great, let me know when you order another time. We could split the deliver cost :)

And your plants are looking healthy, despite the gloomy weather lately.

Mark
Congrats on your plant and keep it up :))

by the way you are keeping your plants , you look pro.! :)

nice grow list you got there.

good luck...

Back