• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

When to pick 'em???

Hi. Newbie here starting his second season of growing hot peppers in CT. I seem to be able to grow them well, but I am unsure as to "when" to pick 'em.
I'm growing Habs, Cayennes, Hungarian Wax, and Cherrie Hots.
Last year, all my Habs seemed to turn red on the plants. This year they seem to be all green unless I pick them and let them sit, as in the example in the pics. They're getting big and don't know if I should pluck them or not???
Same with the Cayennes and Hungarians.
I will try to get updated pics of all the plants today if you think pics would help.... they usually do. Also, how do these look to you Pro's? Am I doing OK?
Thanks for any advise and it's nice to be here!!!
:lol: :mouthonfire:

Picture279.jpg

Picture280.jpg

Those are picked to early.
Let them vine ripen until fully mature for most varieties with the exception of Jalapenos and the like. The only time I pick them partially turned is when it's the end of the season and frost is coming.
When the peppers turn its their sugar producing period so the longer they're on the vine, the sweeter the pepper. Pick right away once fully turned.

Thank you very much for the reply. I had assumed that I picked them too early....
I had a chance this morning to snap some pics of my progress. (I think it's OK to post them as long as I host them, correct?)

Anyhow, I may be a long way from picking, which would make sense as I only planted them about 2 1/2 months ago.

All input welcome and thanks again!!!

Cayenne

CYN1.jpg

CYN2.jpg

Hungarian Wax

HW.jpg

Cherrie Hots

CH1.jpg

Let them vine ripen until fully mature for most varieties with the exception of Jalapenos and the like. The only time I pick them partially turned is when it's the end of the season and frost is coming.
When the peppers turn its their sugar producing period so the longer they're on the vine, the sweeter the pepper. Pick right away once fully turned.

We pick cherry bombs and jalapenos as soon as they have any visible color change and they will usually ripen all the way in 1-2 days. This is also when there's a flush of new pods at the tops of the plants, so the plants can put more energy into the newbies.
But most types don't really get a good flavor or much heat until they ripen. Many of the habs will have heat while still green, but no real distinguishable flavor. It's best to wait in most cases.
Excellent pics!:mouthonfire:
b

RedThumb said:
Definitely wait until the cayennes are fully red (top to bottom). A green cayenne tastes like grass!
I too can attest to that. I just had a Whippet's Tail that fell of the plant....mmmm...grassy....

I agree that green = grass for the cayenne. Let them get some color before picking, except foe the hungarians, they are probalbly ok to be eaten. I know it stinks waiting more time but it's worth it.

yep you're picking them wayyyyy to early!
the cayennes & cherrys pick when they're fully red, but if you plan on canning some chiles then use the cherrys for canning & pick them when green &/or red but heard the greens hold their texture better for canning vs the reds. also you can cann the waxes.

the habs wait until they turn a nice orange or red if yours will do that ?

the wax, I'd wait until they turn more (light) yellowish & even with a tinge of red to them.I've thought they tasted better at this stage vs the ones you're showing in the pics.

imaguitargod said:
I too can attest to that. I just had a Whippet's Tail that fell of the plant....mmmm...grassy....

OK, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO THE REAL IMAGUITARGOD? I'VE SEEN THROUGH YOUR NASTY BOVINE/ALIEN ANAL PROBING HUMAN ABDUCTION!!!

the real IGG wouldn't eat grass, much less pretend to enjoy its flavour as he detests all things bovine, ie - no grass = no cows.

we beg you, stop invading his private 'space' (unless he has made special request for this type of rough treatment) and give him back to the members of THP! I'm sure he will relax his slightly skewed approach to cows and their so called negative impact on the ozone layer. and for the record, I am pro-cow, I have eaten plenty of you, uh, I mean, them... mmm...cowww...

chilliman64 said:
OK, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO THE REAL IMAGUITARGOD? I'VE SEEN THROUGH YOUR NASTY BOVINE/ALIEN ANAL PROBING HUMAN ABDUCTION!!!

the real IGG wouldn't eat grass, much less pretend to enjoy its flavour as he detests all things bovine, ie - no grass = no cows.

we beg you, stop invading his private 'space' (unless he has made special request for this type of rough treatment) and give him back to the members of THP! I'm sure he will relax his slightly skewed approach to cows and their so called negative impact on the ozone layer. and for the record, I am pro-cow, I have eaten plenty of you, uh, I mean, them... mmm...cowww...

Ummm I dont think he meant your lawn variety grass, but the other......kind of grass........:lol:

Pepper Belly said:
Ummm I dont think he meant your lawn variety grass, but the other......kind of grass........:shocked:

well that's different, then it is the IGG that we all know and ahh know. good to see we are back to normality - we can't afford to relax our defences in this war against bovinism!

Thanks for all the responses. I will definately wait on picking them. I don't mind waiting at all, I just wanted to make sure that if I waited too long they wouldn't go bad right there on the plants!!! Thanks again for helping this newb!!! :shocked:

chilliman64 said:
well that's different, then it is the IGG that we all know and ahh know. good to see we are back to normality - we can't afford to relax our defences in this war against bovinism!

pssssst! I think pepper belly has been taken over by the alien cow gods and is just covering for him. It's a conspiracy, you know.

Hold on, there's someone at the door.

OH MY GOD, THE UDDER, IT'S HUGE....RUN! RUN, HELP!!!! THEY'RE COMING AFTER.......

So, dude, that's some seriously nice *winkie, winkie* grass you got there. It's all, like, green and stuff. I bet the cud you get from that is , like, totally awesome.

chilliman64 said:

Bwahahahahahahahaha! That's too good. For your answer, please see below....

Pepper Belly said:
Ummm I dont think he meant your lawn variety grass, but the other......kind of grass........:mad:
Yep, I was refering the other kind , of grass that certain people with the legal status are allowed to grow.....(coughcoughOnlyPartOfLastYearsCropcoughcough)

Pam said:
pssssst! I think pepper belly has been taken over by the alien cow gods and is just covering for him. It's a conspiracy, you know.
Nope, I've had my people look into pepper belly....he's clean.

Pam said:
Then what's this thing....oh...never mind.

Pfffft!!! Bwahahaha!

chilliman64 said:
nice pics! very nice!!!

and don't bother having your people look into me thanks - nothing would survive in there!
Too late. Just like Defcon's humeculi, I have my warriors too. The Magic Mushroom Gnomes.....

Yep, I was refering the other kind , of grass that certain people with the legal status are allowed to grow.....(coughcoughOnlyPartOfLastYearsCropcoughcough)

now that's the kind of grass I wouldn't mind consuming :D

Back