• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Good Morning In The Garden!!

Finally life is slowing down enough that I can get back to talking peppers. Today was the day I crossed over from picking one or two a day to picking dozens. Here is a pic of this morning's picking. I think I could pick a plate like this every day for the next week or two! YAY!!

FirstHarvest7-29.jpg

Peppers are: Hungarian Wax, Red Savina, Nepali Orange, Purple Bird, Bulgarian Spicey, Bulgarian Carrot, Super Chile Hybrid

thats a nice looking plate of chiles you have there.
I'm assuming the light orange ones are nepali orange & the bigger orange ones to the right of them are the bulgarian carrot, correct ? I'm curious to know about their taste & spice so whats your opinion of them ?

this is my 1st harvest which isnt much but its a start, other than a couple before. the one to the left of the quarter is a caribbean red hab, the one to the right is a hot paper lantern (hab type), the 2 below the quarter are naga jolokias, the little pile are super chili F1
I tried some the naga jolokia,caribbean red & the paper lantern fresh before adding all these chiles into my bowl of taco mix for dinner. & IMO the naga jolokias are not that hot but then again the caribbean red wasnt as hot as last year either. but some of you say the 1st ripe pods are not as hot as latter in the season, I hope the next harvest is hotter! so I needed to add some hot sauce plus my own hot salsa besides all these chiles into my taco bowl.

DSCF2740.jpg

gardenkiller, nice selection ya got there! Your hab next to the quarter looks pretty big to me. My hab crop last year didn't have the size of the ones I'm getting this year and that's the only real comparison I have.

chilihunter, nice hot plate! Those tow naga jolokia's are shaped much like the tabasco peppers I grew last year. Do they always grow this shape? What's the flavor like with these?

plebian - this is the 1st year I've grown the naga jolokias. but from chilemans site I guess this is what they're suppose to look like.
but IMO they look more like a thai than a tabasco chile. as for taste I only ate a small part of it fresh (the rest went into my tacos) because I thought it'd be insanely hot, which it wasnt. but I thought it tasted like a thai, I'll have some more ready within a couple days to try them out again & maybe the next ones might be hotter or taste different ? but still a decent tasting chile with a alright spice but nothing like a good'ol hab.

chilliman64 - yep I snip the pods off, I've had to many times where pulling a pod off resulted in breaking a branch off or pulling off some unripe pods with the ripe one :mad: I just wonder should I snip really close to the branch where the node comes from ? to make it easier for another pod to form or it doesnt matter ?
gardenkiller looks like hes also a snipper

I don't know if closer is better, though pods do seem to absorb the liquid/goodness from the attached stem once picked - that's how you can tell how fresh peppers are (a handy trick if at the markets) - fresher peppers have thicker/greener stems, older peppers have browner/thinner/drier looking stems.

these days I'm a snapper. I just bend back against the growth direction of the pod. do it gently and slowly. like walking between rows of plants as mentioned in another recent thread here. no need to rush, just take your time.

I used to be a trimmer - I found that dressmaker's scissors were the best. you know the ones that sort of sit in the palm of your hand? they have a circle for the point of your index finger to go through and you cut by pushing down with your thumb. much easier than secateurs or regular scissors.

well I tried those naga jolokias again & the whole chile I ate fresh, & IMO a thai chile is way hotter than them! I know they say the chinese naga jolokia is the hottest version & I dont know which version I have but it looks just like the picture in chilemans site. so for heat I'm not that impressed with them but the plants are growing alot of pods, but still not as many as a thai - gotta love those thai's :lol: next year I think I'll go back to growing more of the thais.

Great pic of the peps! Mine are struggling with the heat here in the big dry ditch of Las Vegas. Those peppers get my highest ..countem' one two three snaps..rating!!

Back