• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

If there's one thing I've learned

it is to give these peppers alot of space I only gave my plants 2' spacing and it is definetly not enough. I can barely walk in between the plants right now i think next year i will give them a minimum of 3'.

DCP_0737.jpg

Dale

yea but its looking good. you'll be loaded with pods soon :lol:
yea having them close together kinda sucks because of the chance of knocking some pods off the plant if brushing against them.

I have been picking one ripe pod at a time as they were turning colors but today while i was messin around in the garden I noticed hundreds starting to turn I have to seriously start thinking of what i am going to do with these things. I can't wait for the Nagas I will have more than I can handle if i don't find a use for them.

Dale

you could hire a team of itinerant midget fruit pickers come harvest time or you could, *ummm* grow less plants...

I bet your neighbours have done plenty of 'double-takes' thinking you were growing pot!

pepper plants are pretty resilient. provided you don't push through too aggressively they should be able to withstand the occasional walkthrough.

Time to get the blender turbo-charged & hassle your pals for empty jars. What a great spread. I did a hab-hedge over winter here, survived really well and gave me pods throughout - you may find its still producing for you when open plants get too cold.

WOW

Your garden is looking great Dale. If you think 2' between rows is not enough, try making the mistake of planting C. Chinense peppers 10-12" apart in a raised bed!! My raised bed is basically 12' x 4' of jungle with zero visible space. It is not a good idea to maximize prodution due to competition for root space, but it looks cool!!! Next year, minimum of 18" to 24" between pepper plants, especially C. Chinense. :shocked:

What to do with all the peppers. Hmmmm...none of us chileheaders ever really contemplate that before we plant hundreds of varieties. lol. My vote is dried powders.

Chris

thepodpiper said:
it is to give these peppers alot of space I only gave my plants 2' spacing and it is definetly not enough. I can barely walk in between the plants right now i think next year i will give them a minimum of 3'.

DCP_0737.jpg

Dale

I agree, what to do with the crop is never high on your 'how many plants / what should I grow' list.

eat as many fresh as you can then pickle some and dry (or freeze) the rest. I find dried/powdered better as it takes up less space and can still be made into sauce etc. it works very will if you also happen to have a vaccuum packer.

bentalphanerd said:
Time to get the blender turbo-charged & hassle your pals for empty jars.

You keep talking about using the blender, what exactly are you making? All mash all the time?

What a great spread. I did a hab-hedge over winter here, survived really well and gave me pods throughout - you may find its still producing for you when open plants get too cold.

My peppers always end up over-crowded. I just don't worry about it beyond making sure I plant the shorter pepper plants to the outside of the garden in the sring.

Back