• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Huntsman's season 2011-2012

Last year I made the cardinal error of starting to plant some six or ten weeks late, and I paid for it, by playing catch-up all year! At the end of it all, my harvest was 60% down on the previous year, though on the plus side, I did sell my product far more successfully, though that's really due to an improved marketing strategy and has little to do with skills in my hobby. Shame on me...!

This year, I started one day earlier than my planned date, just to set the right tone, and after nuking the grow mix, pouring myself an Espresso and selecting the seeds, I got down to work...:cool:

p6270006.jpg

p6270002.jpg

p6270004c.jpg

A long way to go, I know, but at least this train is running on schedule...! :dance:

Well look who showed up! It's great to see you Huntsman! Looking forward to watching your log. Best of luck to you with this season.

Toot toot! Get that coal a shovlin'!
Great to hear from you again mate, best wishes with the grow.

Hey there, lads!

Greetings to 'net mates new and (specially) old...!

Had my nose to the grindstone this past Winter (Summer for the NH) and instead of making a fortune, all I have to show for it is a bandaged nose...

This will be my last season as a 'Fly By The Seat Of Your Pants' grower, and my intentions are to push the envelope as far as I can, hopefully correct the mistakes produced and then next season I can settle into a responsible growing position, concentrating on tomatoes and peppers.

That said, and I can hear you yelling "Expect the unexpected!", here's where we are after 30 days....

img0496u.jpg

Hey Pat!

Oh yes - never give them up, though it's increasingly difficult to find new varieties...

Probably a good thing with the state of my finances! :dance:

Trust your collection is alive and well?

After six weeks (1 Sept), I took a few snaps of the seedlings...

seedlingsat8weeks2011.jpg

seedlings1sept201101.jpg

and here are the mangy lads that made it through winter: (Strangely, despite hessian, shade cloth and frost guard, only one of my 'Terra Firma' plants made it to Spring, an Aji Amarillo)

peppers1sept201101.jpg

They're not much to look at, that's for sure, but at least they survived!

Now, I need to turn my attention to the veg patch....these sticks indicate where peppers were last season, but I need to start from scratch, and this time, I will be more organised.

vegpatch1sept201104.jpg

vegpatch1sept201103.jpg

Yeah, as you can see, this patch is in a sorry state....

vegpatch1sept201101.jpg

Here's some changes a month later:

vegpatch12oct201101.jpg

We dropped three unwanted trees from just behind me here, (The shadow of one is in the top pic) as they were blocking our valuable sunlight, and have three citrus trees about to join that young white-peach tree in the corner...

The youngsters are doing well, too...

seedlings12oct201102.jpg

seedlings12oct201105.jpg

Hi Spuds!

I'm in Edenvale - the frost capital of the country. :beer:

Measuring out the beds...

vegpatch17oct201107.jpg

No, it's not slave labour...

vegpatch17oct201109.jpg

Companion planting for a decent harvest

vegpatch17oct201112.jpg

Some of these plants survived the winter, (see earlier pic) while others were planted in July...

pa270003k.jpg

pa270002.jpg

We're putting in an irrigation system for the first time this weekend. Trenches need to be filled but we're almost done!

pa270006.jpg

pa270007.jpg

I'm going to order superhots from abroad, and hopefully those can hit the soil in a fortnight, but so far, so good... :beer:

Thanks chilliover -

It has a very select readership, but wtf... :drunk:

We're starting to get ripening pods now...

cellcamera034.jpg

This Malagueta is a great way to start any meal...

cellcamera035.jpg

The plants in the veg patch are also starting to grow into their rightful places.....next series of pics should have good coverage...

Been following Charl Schwartzel for the past 3 years and telling everyone about him. Everyone at worked was laughing at me. The kid makes Adam Scotts swing look sloppy. Glad to see his putting has improved. Ok back to gardening. Sorry for the hijack.

Back