First timer

Ok so this will be my first time with home brew. My wife and I both really liked Southern Tier Brewery's Creme Brule Stout so I searched for a clone. This is what I found.

14.75 lbs Pale Ale malt
3.25 lbs Crystal/Caramel malt 120L
1.0 lbs Lactose (milk sugar)
0.75 oz Columbus hops (14% AA - 60 minutes)
1.00 oz Horizon hops (12% AA - 5 minutes)
4.00 oz natural vanilla extract (at bottling or kegging)
White Labs WLP006 or Wyeast 1099

S.G. 1.104
F.G. 1.026
IBU 26.5
SRM 31
ABV 10.19%

Does anyone know how to make this? Is this even feasible for a first time brew?

Whilst there are brewers here that know what they are talking about i suggest you join a brew forum.
Sounds like an all grain brew and be stuffed if i would try that for a first brew!

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo don't chase people away.

Don't be givin me no lip! :lol: Honestly he would be better served at a BREW FORUM for this matter.

Aussiehomebrewer is good or you could contact member tony05 right here. He is the bomb brewer. Good luck!

Ok Wolfy........... first time i have been on here in a good 12 months id say :) It amuses me how i get brewers from around the world directed to me......I will help uou best i can.

First up i will ask you if you know the process of mashing a beer from scratch using barley malt? and if so... what do you know?

If you dont... id sugest you do a bit of research and read up first.

On the recipe......... thats a lot of crystal malt for a stout...... it will be more like toffee in the glass. Dont always believe recipes you read on the net...... nost times they are put on by ordinary brewers who think they are good and say thy are good, but the beer sucks!

lets start there hey.......... :)

Edit:

Oh shit....... i just noticed its a 1.104 beer...... dude this is looking like taking a F1 car out for your first driving lesson. I have made one beer over 1.100 and it was a bitch....... you need really big volume gear and its very hard to get the final gravity right.

I will sugest right here to look for something simple to make in bulk as home brew and buy the 11% ABV stout!

Wolfman, If you want to clone a Southern Tier Brew you need to talk to wheebz on here. He's actually a brewer for Southern Tier and a fantastic source of information as well. In fact there is an Ask wheebz thread here. I just finished my first batches and did partial mashes for my first ones. They were easy enough after all the reading and question asking I did but you should walk before you run. JMHO.

Cheers,
RM

Well since I do make this beer for a living, I might be able to give you some advice on how we make it :)

You are missing chocolate as well as black patent malt in the recipe, thats about 3 times too much crystal, and we only use 60 lovibond not 120.

Thats a boatload of vanilla extract, although knowing the way that we do it I cant give you a direct comparison as we do not use vanilla extract

And there is nothing wrong with him brewing a high gravity beer for the first time. Make a yest starter with 2 vials of WLP 001, pitch it after 24 hours, and you will be fine

Thanks Tony05 for checking the thread out. And thanks Wheebz that's really awesome that you are a brewer for Southern Tier! I love your beers. It looks like it would be smarter for me to start with something easier for a while until I get things figured out. Maybe someday I will be asking for help with Unearthly IPA because that stuff is amazing!

oh what better than the hand that brewes it!

Thought the recipe looked sus. I have never tried the beer..... i live on the other side ofthe world...... but the recipe just wasnt right.

Back