Habaneros in Indiana

Greetings all. I've been growing hot peppers for several years, and this year took on the Red Savina. I noticed when I cut it open (it had not turned red yet, just orange) that some of the seeds (I think they were seeds) were very dark, almost black. Is this common or do they have some kind of disease? Thanks in advance for your help!

Hello ray, and welcome. West door neighbor here.

No idea on the dark seeds. I see this on occasion with my habs and never paid is much mind since everything else looked healthy. Might be a concern but I just don't know.

Plebian said:
Hello ray, and welcome. West door neighbor here.

No idea on the dark seeds. I see this on occasion with my habs and never paid is much mind since everything else looked healthy. Might be a concern but I just don't know.

It's not on the majority, so I think I'll just pitch 'em. Getting ready to make salsa this morning! Thanks for your input.

If its black, I'd throw it out. I've seen it quite a bit usually when insects bite or poke small holes but I've seen it on what looked to be perfect pods too. I just threw out a huge bell pepper that looked perfect until I cut it open and discovered little webs and then noticed a small insect hole that was unseeable from the outside.

welcome to the boards from someone that can't answer your pepper question...though it looks like potawie has it covered.

Back