• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Important Questions

hello. i just found a few seeds laying around in my house so i planted them (hots-superhots).

i entered the chat and asked a couple of questions since i am a noob :)

but i wanted to be sure.

first of all . i am from kuwait. it is a little humid right now. the temp is 40+ in the day and about 38-40 C in the night.

i thought i did not need anything since i have all the requirements but somebody in the chat said i must start them indoors because the sun will burn them. is it true? i mean, why should they get burned if they require heat.

so do i really need to start then inside ? and for how long?

BTW the seeds have not germinated yet.

2nd question. i planted the seeds in dirt/soil but they have not germinated yet (obviously because i planted them yesterday).
my question is : how much do i keep the soil wet? soggy or what ?

thats it :) more questions (if i have any more) will be updated below the line
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

UPDATE ! NEW QUESTION! : ok i just remembered that the seeds and soil are in small containers with holes on the bottom. is that okay since i must keep the soil moist all the time ?

Germinate them in the shade. the little sprouts will need light, but your direct sun would cause the little newborns to probably burn and wilt. sow about 1cm deep and keep the soil only moist until germination. once they germinate, you can start watering a little bit. good luck.

Germinate them in the shade. the little sprouts will need light, but your direct sun would cause the little newborns to probably burn and wilt. sow about 1cm deep and keep the soil only moist until germination. once they germinate, you can start watering a little bit. good luck.

+1

You want to keep the soil moist, but not soaking wet. A good way to tell this is, when you water, if the soil immediately soaks the water up, it needs the water. If the water just sits there, then that's too much water. After awhile, you will just KNOW what is right.
If you have planted superhot peppers, you can expect to see sprouts anywhere from a week to 2 weeks. Your day time and night time temps are good. Like you have been told, they dont like sunlight at first. Well, DIRECT sun light. You can either keep them inside in a window, or in the shade. I would wait until they are a solid 6 inches high before you start putting them into the sun. Just make sure you graduate them into the sun.

thanks guys. i think i understand now. correct me if i am wrong:

i germinate them outside in the shade because of the good temp. when they germinate i keep them in the shade until they grow 6 inches?

Roughly, yeah. People's opinions differ on their methods of "hardening off." I will typically wait until they are 6", yes.

Peppers like heat and light but not direct desert heat and light. The will grow because of the soil temp and humidity and then once the sun was on the new shoots for 12 hours at 40+ c, they would wilt and burn from the UV rays. If you already have them outside, put something over the bed so it casts a light shadow over them. They will get enough light indirectly throughout the day to allow them to grow and still stay protected. Other people have different ways but once they are around 6", you can remove the shade to allow them to have light for half an hour or less at a time. Not at the hottest part of the day or when the UV index is high. As time goes on you can extend the time period (you will be able to tell by the plants reaction) until they are exposed for most or all of the day. You may need to shade them for some parts of the day depending on the strength of the sunlight they receive. Don't be afraid to experiment as people grow hot peppers all over the world from the middle of the Austrailian desert all the way to Norway. Whatever you do, have fun.

*Bump* Please answer the new question :) sorry for all the hassle this is my first time and i am so scared ! like having a baby :) xD

Drainage is important. lack of it may induce the growth of fungi and other "nasties", plus the roots can "choke" and rot.

Back