• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

I finally figured out whats been eating my zuchini at night.

Something has been eating my zucchini, I thought it was a mouse or rat. I went outside to indulge in a bad habit and saw the biggest slugs I have ever seen, had to be about 5 inches long. You could hear them drop after I used the shovel as a size comparison.

PHzxg.jpg

put a flat pan maybe 3 inches deep fill it halfway full of cheap beer, sit in the middle of your plants check in the morning the slug will drown themselves in the beer. it does work I've seen it done.

Hey Laz, just get some slug bait at the store and put a thin line around the perimeter of your garden or make circles around the plants. The slugs will come from everywhere just to crawl through it and die. It's a beautiful thing. Works every time and you won't have to worry about looking for them.

Salt is cheap and very effective. On the beer idea, I would recommend lining the outside of the bed with the trays of beer. I tried that method the very first year I ever had a vegetable garden, and put it in the middle of the garden. When I went out to check on it later that night, there were dozens of slugs all over my plants ... and a few in the beer. Probably best to distract them BEFORE they snack on your plants. Just sayin'.

Those HUGE slugs are gross!! I cant believe that person is holding them with out gloves... So I was walking around my garden area today and noticed all these yellow jackets flying around. I have no idea how I turned the camera to black and white. Right above my little hydro set up I found this:
rWhPo.jpg

So the slugs aren't really gray then?

I believe those are called Paper Wasps. Yellow Jackets built their nests in the ground. Paper Wasps build nests that look like paper, hence their name.

They build nests in our fence, and under the eaves of the roof here every year. I got stung on the side of my knee by one while I was out watering the day before yesterday, and the swelling is just now going down. Got busy and forgot to put baking soda paste on it, which would have reduced the swelling considerably.

Hey Laz, just get some slug bait at the store and put a thin line around the perimeter of your garden or make circles around the plants. The slugs will come from everywhere just to crawl through it and die. It's a beautiful thing. Works every time and you won't have to worry about looking for them.
Wow, slug bait i learn something new every day here.

Hmmm, I think wasps are semi good guys since they eat other bugs... Of course they don't seem so good when they sting you.

Back