• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

knives

i am looking at getting a pocket knife. i dont want something from walmart, or a gerber (have a gerber, dont like it), ive been reading forums about knives recently, and alot of people seem to like emerson knives. any of you have any experience with them, or another recommendation?

thanks!

what are you looking for in a knife ? what will you be using it for ? do you want a folding knife or fixed ? what is your state laws on blade length or fixed blades ?

me personally all my knives I want is a good strong pointed blade (but not to pointed or narrow) good enough for busting through bone & have a serrated section on the blade to cut through things faster.
gerber, SOG, columbia river, kershaw, spyderco, benchmade all fit to my liken but also you get what you pay for, I've rarely seen a buck knife or some other brand I've liked, I'm not saying others dont sell good knives just rarely what I'm looking for in a knife.
dont knock walmart or some other stores they dont make the knife but they might sell a knife that you like, I bought a little gator knife years ago from ? & it was a nice little knife good rubber grip & small with a serrated part, it was great for fine cutting - but I lost it :cool:

Emersons are a bit of an overkill, unless you're a maniac like me who carries a $175.00 knive for everyday use.

I agree with most of what Chilehunter says, especially the manufacturers, but with the exception of i really don't like serrated blades. In fact, i don't own any. They're a bit of a hassle to sharpen for me(i find the files are a pain in the ass), and they take up a good portion of the cutting edge.

Oh, and the Gerber Gator that Chilehunter mentions is an excellent knife....especially for a whole $35 or so bucks. It's a serious bargain. I've got a couple of them. But, if you don't like 'em, so be it.

"good enough for busting through bone"

Back away from the scary man, children.

I've got a leatherman. Used to date a stagemanager who swore by them and, as a multi purpose tool, can't fault it.

well i have a benchmade mini gripitilian that is coming to me on wed, and that should probably be my every day useage knife.

i do want an emerson to carry with me probably in my back pocket, or even as an every day knife as well. i like the emerson mini cqc-7a, but they do not make this one any more, and that leaves me with a mini cqc7b which are tanto pointed chiseled blades. seems like that is for more or less cutting people apart, and not boxes, which is really what i would be using it for.

the reason i say i do not want a gerber is because i have owned and lost many gerbers through out the year, and currently in my pocket is a gerber and it just doesnt do it for me. maybe i dont know how to sharpen knives, but this thing is dull as can be. i am going to buy a sharpening kit very soon, but as of right now i just have a stone.

i also really dont like the serrated blade either, thats what is on my gerber, and sometimes it is pretty good, but 80% of the time i just wish it wasnt there.

as for the questions asked by chilehunter:

i want a folding knife, not much use for a fixed blade, that is a bit intimidating to use as an every day knife... i will be using it for every day chores, but i want it to be self defense if needed (probably never). the laws on a knife? uh nc doesnt really have any. it says somewhere around 4.5 inches closed is fine. a 5 inch closed knife is huge, and that is the reason i am selling one on ebay right now, i have no use for that large of a knife. its like pulling out a bowie knife.

thanks for the comments so far, keep em coming!

Sickmont - wow its been so many years I forgot the gator was a gerber knife, it was a nice little knife.
as for why I mentioned what I look for in a knife, I use them every year for busting through the pelvic bone & ribcage or neck ( of animals!) as for why I like serrated blades is because it'll cut through ribcages like butter, also it'll cut a 3/8" rope in 1-2 swipes if I was hanging from the rope where my life was in danger & the only option was to cut the rope & let myself drop to the ground vs hanging there & maybe die, I'm not gonna want to use a non-serrated blade to cut the rope, it'd almost be like trying to start fire with some sticks :) it'd take too long to cut through the rope. also they're still good to use for everyday things.

also I like fixed blades because they can stand up to the twisting motion of prying open the pevlic bone. I also will be carring my Ka-Bar knife as a last resort backup when I go bear hunting this fall (or if its needed for gutting it or quartering the bear) a little 2"-3" folding knife is just not gonna work when it comes to bears, at least a 4" blade for big game.

ross - just everyday chores or even as self defense, I'd get a nice smooth opening foldable knife with a little knob to flip it open. a 3"-4" blade will do just fine for most things & not be overkill.
the namebrands I mentioned already you'll be able to find a really nice knife for under $100 or if you want to go all out then under the $200 range. if self defense a must for the smoothest opening action.those brands are all GOOD knives, just find which one you like better.

i guess the walmart comment stemmed from the wal marts around here only selling, buck, case, gerber and victorinox. while the swiss army knives are good, i dont want a multi too - infact, i have maybe 6-10 swiss army knives (located all over the house). i have a leatherman for a multitool, and its too heavy. i have a buck knife in my truck, but once again, its a little too big, plus its really heavy, maybe 7 oz? the thing that drew me to the emerson knives is the light weight, and reported sharpness. i dont mind spending about 100-150 on a knife, as long as it will last me. i guess ill just keep lookin around.

ps - i checked all of benchmade's knives when i was buying my mini grip, and they didnt appeal to me - most are too big. the thing i really liked about the mini grip is that it has absurd bright yellow handles on it :)

chuk hell said:
This is my "everyday" knife:

http://www.coldsteel.com/recon1.html

The tanto, half serrated. Had it for years, it's as solid as a tank.

chuck is that chisel ground?

i have a recon one that i am trying to sell on ebay. a tad too large for me. but if that is a chisel ground, how does it perform doing every day tasks? if its not a chisel ground, then i guess it doesnt really apply :)

i love the knife though, if no one buys it ill just keep it and probably cut down small trees with it.

I prefer tanto blades for their ease of sharpening. It's hard to screw up an angle when your dealing with straight lines(especially chisel-ground blades), you know? As for a sharpener, get yourself a Lansky. They're almost idiot proof.

And Chuk...you're right about the tank comment. I LOVE Cold Steel's stuff. I have a small Counter-Tac II thats pretty much indestructible. The thing's a beast for being about the size of a decent opened folder.

how does the chisel ground blade work as a utility blade?

from what i have read they are mostly made for self defense, and i dont really need to be attacking anyone right now.

It still cuts, doesn't it? And besides, i happen to like the edge-holding abilities of that type of blade.

Oh, and just FYI, chisel ground blades are what Cordwainers use all the time.

Sickmont said:
It still cuts, doesn't it? And besides, i happen to like the edge-holding abilities of that type of blade.

Oh, and just FYI, chisel ground blades are what Cordwainers use all the time.

thanks for using a term that i had to google.

Sickmont said:
No prob, bro. I like to keep folks a bit on their toes:lol:

Besides, it certainly has more flair than "shoemaker", yes?

haha i know right. i wouldnt have to look up THAT term! :D

i got a note back from emerson, and they said that the chiseled blade does well in every day activities, so i just might end up getting one after all. plus the cqc7b is supposedly strong enough to stick into the hood of your car. why would you want to? i dont know, but i guess its good to know you can..

thought about it for a while, and i ended up getting the mini cqc7b tanto knife. i wrote emerson a few days ago, and his response was that the knife performs well as a daily user, so i went with that.

still gonna be on the look out for more of them, because they have some really awesome designs.

the cqc7b i bought looks like :

cqc7.jpg

now i will look into that sharpener that was mentioned :mouthonfire:

Back