• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Lomo de res en chile arbol (rib eye steak in chili de arbol sauce)

this is a old traditional mexican dish but its always a good one for chili heads

now this my recipe derived from the lalo's restaurant recipe

1Lb. thin cut rib eye steaks (lomo de res)
1/3 of a 1lb. bag of dried chili de arbol,i usually play this by sight sometimes more sometimes less
1-2 tooth of garlic chopped, mostly depending on your taste
1tsp salt
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
1 8oz. can of tomatoe sauce
1/3-1/2 onion raw chopped

1.boil the dried arbol pepper pods for 10-15 mins, in approx 3-4 cups of water, add the onion, garlic to taste half way thru and boil additional 5 mins let stand for about 10 mins
2.while peppers boil up, chop the steak into 1/2-1" pieces,cook in large pan add oil 1-2 tbs,using olive oil will give it a fruity taste use at your own taste i do,add meat,paprika,cumin,salt, brown up, you can toast the meat if you want to add to the taste,set aside if you have excess oil drain off.
3.after peppers have sat, bring out the blender, remove all peppers,onions and garlic pieces to the blender add water used for the boil to about 1/2"-3/4" above the peppers in the cup,add 1/2 of the can tomatoe sauce(more to taste) cover(secure well if the lid pops off and you have white or light colored fabrics they will be stained) blend well for about 3-5 mins i try to break the ingredients down as much as possible since i like the peppers,save the left over pepper broth/water
4. strain the pepper blend with a coarse strainer you dont want all the goodies taken out, if you dont have a coarse strainer, i found adding 1-2 tbs. of the blended strained flakes back into the liquid with works fine
5.add sauce to meat and bring to a simmer stirring every 3-5 mins so meat and sauce dont burn or stick to pan,adding more pepper broth if needed,after about 15 mins,you dont want a watery sauce but more of a gravy consistency, take off of heat and set aside for 5 mins covered

serve with rice,beans and side salad
tortillas

if well done this will give you some heat and at the same time some great meal

enjoy (i hope)

sounds tasty PJ. I love me some steak and I love me some peppers. I think I might just have to mingle with the two of these after the holidays. Thanks for the recipe
icon_smile.gif

Back