• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

oh no! Giant Caterpillars! How Do You Prevent?

Yikes! Found a couple of big caterpillars on the peppers this morning!

Here is one enjoying some jalapenos

caterpillar1.jpg

Here is one enjoying some piquin's. And they are not even ripe yet!

caterpillar2.jpg

How do these things climb up the pots into the plant? And how do I prevent/kill them?

Tobacco Hornworms. http://ipm.ncsu.edu/AG295/html/hornworms.htm

The parent moth laid the eggs on the plant, and they're so well camouflaged that you didn't see them until now. You can use Bt or one of the spinosads, or hand pick them.

If you see little white things sticking out of their backs, don't kill the caterpillar, they're parasitic wasp larvae. They'll kill the caterpillar and go infect more of them.

if you step on them watchout for the insides to squirt out like crazy, I saw people eating those things on Fear Factor, I think they said they werent bad tasting either :)

ewwwwie!! Those thins look like something out of a horror movie!! Break out the flame thrower, but just don't toast the pl:onfire:ants!!!

lgreen said:
Yikes! Found a couple of big caterpillars on the peppers this morning!...

Ackkkk! Looks almost like the tomato worms I had. Quick, get some yellowjackets!

Pam said:
Tobacco Hornworms.
If you see little white things sticking out of their backs, don't kill the caterpillar, they're parasitic wasp larvae. They'll kill the caterpillar and go infect more of them.

Like something out of "Aliens" huh? :)

But how much damage will the caterpillars do before the larvae kill them? Maybe better to squish them quick. If you kill them (without squishing them...I dunno cut them in half) and leave the body there, would the larvae still hatch later?

Pam said:
Tobacco Hornworms. http://ipm.ncsu.edu/AG295/html/hornworms.htm

The parent moth laid the eggs on the plant, and they're so well camouflaged that you didn't see them until now. You can use Bt or one of the spinosads, or hand pick them.

You people are too advanced for me. Whats a "Bt" or "spinosads"? some kind of deadly super poison that tastes yummy and will give me extra super-strength?? yeah!

I had these last year. I can tell how big they are from the size of the "droppings." The big ones leave some serious deposits! The one on the Piquin was huge! Yes, they do explode when you squeeze them. No, I cannot confirm if they are good tasting-- till they REALLY bug me, then I will report on this. FYI, ants like the remains.

However the main point is- how do you prevent them early? They can really cut down your pepper plants fast.

Actually I joined this forum in part to find out what to do about these...last year for a certain time I had to get up every day and look for droppings and remove the da*! bugs...got to be kind of gross and I could not go on business trips without worrying... so I hope that there is something to do. One good thing is having the advantage of pots, you can see the droppings which are almost invisible if the plants are growing in a garden of dirt.

All you need is one of these.
ROM_EMAI.jpg

My little guy used to gobble them up! If your yard is parasite free, they are worth some decent money. I paid nearly 50cents a pop for um. And yes, they sure do pop!

Bacillus thuringiensis, usually referred to as "Bt" (pronounced “bee-tee”), is a naturally occurring bacterium that is lethal to most leaf-eating caterpillars on trees, shrubs, flowers, and vegetables. Clean Kill in 2-3 days....

Spinosad is produced by bacterial fermentation and is very effective against chewing insects. It was a very useful weapon in my War of the (spit!) Thrips. Its shortcoming is that they recommend that you only use it about 4 times a year, but it really let me get the (spit!) thrips under control before their numbers went up in the spring.

I ordered some of the Gardens Alive and the Monterery Gardens version, both worked well.

http://www.gardensalive.com/product.asp?pn=8756&ss=spinosad

http://www.planetnatural.com/site/monterey-garden-insect.html
( a lot of different places carry this one, just google or ask at your local organic nursery. I ordered directly from Monterey Gardens)

Slinter said:
All you need is one of these.
ROM_EMAI.jpg

My little guy used to gobble them up! If your yard is parasite free, they are worth some decent money. I paid nearly 50cents a pop for um. And yes, they sure do pop!

Thanks everyone.

Actually, I've got about 10 of those little guys living around my house; there must be better tasting food around? Or else its some other kind of tiny lizard. Either way, those suckers are FAST moving.

Yet another drawback to Iowa life......no mantises or lizards......you guys need to stop doin that stuff I actually used to like living here until all of you keep posting great pics of life elsewhere.

I think the distribution of the praying mantis includes Iowa, but if you don't think you have any in your yard, you can order mantis egg cases on-line. Just google for it and you'll see lots of places that sell them.

Pam said:
I think the distribution of the praying mantis includes Iowa, but if you don't think you have any in your yard, you can order mantis egg cases on-line. Just google for it and you'll see lots of places that sell them.

"Praying mantids (preferred plural form of mantis) have never been numerous in Iowa and historically they were only common in the far southeastern corner of the state. Beginning a few years ago more mantids were reported further north and west in Iowa and since 2000 they have been reported as far north as Ames and as far west as Council Bluffs. The easy conjecture is that the northward spread was facilitated by consecutive winters with mild weather. This theory is logical but unproven."
-- From the Iowa State University Department of Entomology

I'm about 150 miles too far north. You really had me excited there for a minute, but I have a feeling that if I bought them they would find the neighbors yard to be more exciting!

Back