• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Pepper Infused Vodka

My newest pepper project. Vodka infused with Orange Thai, Norcal Thai, Butch T Scorpion, Yellow Scorpion, Serrano, Unknown Hybrid Jalapeno, Douglah, Clove of Garlic, Smirnoff 80 Proof Vodka.
I'm going to let it sit for a few weeks and give it a try in a spicy bloody mary. I've done it before with Jalapenos and it turned out delicious but definitely not spicy. Hoping this one has some kick.

Infused Vodka Day 1
infusedvodka.jpg

I would have thought you would need to slice the peppers in half to do this... but I have never infused vodka, I slice them half length wise when I infuse oil

They all have a number of slices down them and they are split open. You can see the jalapeno at the bottom fell apart. The others just did not split completely in half.

Some of them are opening as they soak up the vodka and fall.
infusedvodka2.jpg

I put 4 red Savinias and half a smoked orange hab and some allspice berries in jug(1500ml? the big un with the handle)sized bottle of finlandia, warmed it to 120 in some water 2 yrs ago...let it cool and after 3 wks stuck it in the freezer for another month...so call it 2 mos....and when I got back and broke it out-it was brutal stuff.Made good Bloody Marys, but the idea was hot martinis, and it was just to hot.I would stick to the above advice!Ofcourse now you have to report on the experiment!!!! :onfire:
Good luck-
Dave

The plan is for Bloody Mary's. Thats why the garlic. I started adding peppers because of the colors and I just didn't stop. I'm expecting some hot hot heat, but I like my bloody mary's hot so I'll keep everyone posted. I plan on trying it late next week. I'll post the results and pics of the vodka before I remove the peppers and garlic.

I could definitely see infusing tequila with fatali or yellow scorp and making an awesome margarita. Keep us posted on that one. Pics.

My vodka is taking on a nice color. I can see the burn!

I could definitely see infusing tequila with fatali or yellow scorp and making an awesome margarita. Keep us posted on that one. Pics.

My vodka is taking on a nice color. I can see the burn!
MINDREADER!
That would do it for silver, for gold /Anejo I'm thinkin' Jam Hot Choc or possibly a douglah.....

Vodka+Hot Peppers+Honey=very tasty(as is chili infused mead)
If you try it out, put in the honey after taking out the peppers as it seems to prolong the absobtion of the capsaicin.
BR
Jan

MINDREADER!
That would do it for silver, for gold /Anejo I'm thinkin' Jam Hot Choc or possibly a douglah.....
I put 3 Brain Strain pods in some Milagro tequila and made some nice hot daiquiris with it. I still have the empty bottle with the bleached white pod halves in the bottom. Two or three pods of a super is plenty and they will add some fire to the mix in only a few days. After a week most of the pods color is gone and IMO longer than that and it starts to leach less desirable flavors from the pods; still good but not as tasty as it was the first week.

How much honey? TBSP?
Depends on you taste, But as you said, I would start with a tablespoon( I personally prefer more, but i just love honey), try it out and if it is not good enough, put in some more, and taste again. Repeat until it fits your preferences :D
BR
Jan

Back