• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Pickled Jalapeno Seeds Germinating! WTF!

I made my first pickled peppers the other day and today I noticed many of the seeds have sent out tap roots.

Is this common?

They were pickled in 2 parts vinegar to one part water. After adding the brine to the jars I processed them for 15 minutes in boiling water.

I'm very surprised the embryos could survive in such an environment. Especially since I put so much effort into getting my seeds to germinate under "optimal conditions".

Maybe I should boil my seeds and soak them in vinegar before sowing. Lol

utf-8BSU1BRzAwMTcuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzAwMTYuanBn.jpg

looks like we can add another germination technique to our lists.

one would think the boiling would have finished the seeds off, coupled with the vinegar.

i just put some hot cherry pepper seeds into my germination bag yesterday to see if they will germinate. it is just and experiment and have a low expectation of any kind of germination, if any. the seeds are from a store bought jar of pickled hot cherry peppers, since i deseed the peppers before eating, i thought why not dry the seeds and see if they are viable.

I think people would pay you for your green thumb.

Your ad could read.

"If I touch your seeds they will grow in any condition guaranteed"
Add this picture and viola... You have yourself a seed blessing business.

Plant em' and see what happens!

I would but I have plenty of jalapeno plants already. I'm sure they would grow. Once you have a tap root it is pretty easy to grow a seedlings.
looks like we can add another germination technique to our lists.

one would think the boiling would have finished the seeds off, coupled with the vinegar.

i just put some hot cherry pepper seeds into my germination bag yesterday to see if they will germinate. it is just and experiment and have a low expectation of any kind of germination, if any. the seeds are from a store bought jar of pickled hot cherry peppers, since i deseed the peppers before eating, i thought why not dry the seeds and see if they are viable.
The difference is these have only been in the jar a few days. I would think store bought pickled pepper's seed would have already germinated if they where going to. Let me know if it works out though.

I think people would pay you for your green thumb.

Your ad could read.

"If I touch your seeds they will grow in any condition guaranteed"
Add this picture and viola... You have yourself a seed blessing business.
Hmmmm. I can see it now. Dshlogg's magic touch.

Ohh yeah. On a side note, I got some capsiacin oil under my nail today. Man is that painful. It feels like I burned the hell out of my finger tip. Everytime I get it wet, especially in hot water, it flares up again. I really need to be more careful.

Back