• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Ghost Pepper? Which one is the real "GHOST"?

I initially got introduced into this pepper thing as I was looking for a ghost pepper after watching Man V Food eating the Four horsemen burger in Texas.
He talked about 3 Ghost Peppers being placed on the burgers.
I have noticed among the Pepper head community "Ghost Pepper" is a bit of a joke term.
Can anyone help me understand what is the real Ghost?
Which is the hottest, the Bih, Naga, Bhut? Something else?

I'm dying of curiosity.

It's annoying huh? :D
As Bentalphanerd proposed, the words Bih & Bhut both mean 'ghost' in different regions in Assam. So you could say that both are 'Ghost Peppers' (Jolokia meaning pepper in Assamese), even though they are slightly different.
Normally when people say Naga Jolokia, they are referring to either a bhut OR the 'Naga Jolokia PC-1' which is actually a mild-hot pepper from Assam that is not closely related to the bih or the bhut).
I think it's best to avoid generalized common names, they just confuse things.

As to which is the hottest: I think they're all pretty even, but some might argue that perhaps Naga Morich is hotter (another cousin of the aforementioned). there are quite a few trinidad varieties though that are hotter than anything out of India and surrounds so far.

I have the Butch T's growing in my garden just by chance. I was looking for a "Ghost Pepper" plant in my area on Craigslist and someone had that as a tag when they were actually selling the Butch T and Douglah. I bought both plants and boy oh boy did they introduce me to the super hots.
It sounds like the Bih and Bhut are the way to go for the super hot varieties. Maybe when people say that the "Ghost Pepper" was nothing they are referring to the "Naga Jolokia PC-1"

Thanks for the input guys! Keep it coming. I love to hear what everyone has to say.
:banghead:

I don't think there ever was such a thing as a "ghost" chile. As far as I know that comes from a misinterpretation or mistranslation of some of the local names, mostly perpetuated by NMSU. I don't think most of us care for the "ghost" name mostly because it is so generic that we don't know which variety someone is referring to, but also because it isn't an accurate translation. Unfortunately, we'll probably be stuck with that name forever, since that's what the general public knows them as. We should probably also be spelling it "bhoot jolokia" as well, although that is even less likely to change. That's chile nomenclature for you, there are a lot of examples where the nomenclature isn't correct. E.g. capsicum chinense didn't originate in China, and habanero (Spanish= masculine gender thing from Havana, Cuba) probably originated in the Yucatan.

From Nagaland University...

In Assam, this type of chili is popularly known as Bhoot jolokia or Bih jolokia. These two terms are now popularly found in the present-day scientific literature. The Assamese word "bhoot" refers to the typical large pod size of the plant, while the term "bih" means "poison" indicating the high hotness in the fruits of the plant. The term "bhoot jolokia" could not be translated into English as "ghost chili" as was explained by many researches.

http://www.agri-history.org/pdf/171%20to%20180.pdf

Wikipedia says mostly the same, although some of the links are now dead. I do remember reading many of these links at the time and they seemed legit, so I think the information is pretty accurate for the most part.

The pepper is called different names in different regions. An article in the Asian Age newspaper stated that experts in Assam are worried about a distortion of the colloquial nomenclature of "Bhot" to "bhut", saying that this word was misinterpreted by the (Western) media to mean "ghost".[16] The article stated that people living north of the Brahmaputra River call the pepper "Bhot jolokia", "Bhot" meaning "of Bhotiya origin", or something that has come from the hills of adjoining Bhutan; on the southern bank of the river Brahmaputra, this chili becomes Naga jolokia, believed to have originated from the hills of Nagaland.[16] An alternative source for Naga jolokia is that the name originates from the ferocious Naga warriors who once inhabited Nagaland.[17] Further complicating matters, a 2009 paper, published in the Asian Agri-History journal, coined the English term "Naga king chili" and stated that the most common Indian (Assamese) usage is bhoot jolokia,[18][19] which refers to the chili's large pod size, and gives the alternate common name as bih jolokia (bih means "poison" in Assamese, denoting the plant's heat). The assertion that bhut (bhoot) means "ghost" is claimed by researchers from the New Mexico State University, but as in the article from the Asian Age, denied by Indian researchers from Nagaland University.[9][18] The Assamese word "jolokia" simply means the Capsicum pepper. Other usages on the subcontinent are saga jolokia, Indian mystery chili, and Indian rough chili (after the chili's rough skin).[18][20] It has also been called the Tezpur chili after the Assamese city of Tezpur.[17] In Manipur, the chili is called umorok,[21] or oo-morok (oo = "tree", morok = "chili").

The terms Ghost pepper (and naga jolokia) is commonly used now to include all the naga and bhut types. Its just easier for the non chile-head to comprehend, its tough enough for us who are chile geeks

Just to clarify something I read above. All Butch T's are Trinidad Scorpions, all Trinidad Scorpions are NOT Butch T's.
:D

I have the Butch T's growing in my garden just by chance. I was looking for a "Ghost Pepper" plant in my area on Craigslist and someone had that as a tag when they were actually selling the Butch T and Douglah. I bought both plants and boy oh boy did they introduce me to the super hots.
It sounds like the Bih and Bhut are the way to go for the super hot varieties. Maybe when people say that the "Ghost Pepper" was nothing they are referring to the "Naga Jolokia PC-1"

Thanks for the input guys! Keep it coming. I love to hear what everyone has to say.
:banghead:

Speaking of NMSU translating something incorrectly, I was perusing their seed store yesterday looking at varieties for next year and noticed this...

Costeno Amarillo: (Capsicum annuum), this Mexican chiles name means "treelike," it grows with several branches resembling a tree. Pods are dried and used in sauces, hot

Costeño in Spanish means coastal, maybe they got it mixed up with de árbol, they seem to have issues with translating things correctly though. :lol:

Speaking of NMSU translating something incorrectly, I was perusing their seed store yesterday looking at varieties for next year and noticed this...

Costeño in Spanish means coastal, maybe they got it mixed up with de árbol, they seem to have issues with translating things correctly though. :lol:

The fact that this is an educational facility makes it even more sad. At least their Bhuts are hot.

This is also a subject I'm seriously interested in. I don't think we have to stay "stuck" with Ghost Pepper if we get the American media (who are the ones perpetuating the use the most) to do a story on the right name. If you make the correct etymology famous, you can get people to be hip with the proper usage, especially with the view that it's just better science (and people don't like to sound uninformed).

There was a dead link in wikipedia's entry on the pepper, in reference to "ghost" being improperly applied. So, I took some time and found another article, also from the Asian continent, to add citation:

"Assam's Bhoot Jolokia has become famous as the worlds hottest chilly a few months back. Guinness Book of World Records has awarded this title to our very own red chili and the media all across has been covering this event widely. But almost all reports in English named this chilly as “ghost chilly” translating the name directly from Assamese. In Assamese “bhut” stands for “ghost”. Bhot actually means people of Bhutan. Awarded chili is Bhot Jolokiya not Bhut Jolokiya In Assam everyone knows it. Some journalist made this mistake sometime back and it is continuing." -- Rabati Neog, http://www.assamtimes.org/knowledge-development/288.html

I am pretty sure all of my friends and co-workers from India agree that "Bhut" means "ghost" and they all(friends and coworkers) come from different regions of India. There is a bollywood movie called "Bhoot" which is about a ghost. I'll personally go with their interpretation. The spelling may be different based on how it is translated from local languages and alphabets to english(using the alphabet we use). So I think it is safe to continue referring to them as "Ghost chilli/chile" if you must....I prefer Bhut Jolokia personally.

This is also a subject I'm seriously interested in. I don't think we have to stay "stuck" with Ghost Pepper if we get the American media (who are the ones perpetuating the use the most) to do a story on the right name. If you make the correct etymology famous, you can get people to be hip with the proper usage, especially with the view that it's just better science (and people don't like to sound uninformed).

There was a dead link in wikipedia's entry on the pepper, in reference to "ghost" being improperly applied. So, I took some time and found another article, also from the Asian continent, to add citation:

"Assam's Bhoot Jolokia has become famous as the worlds hottest chilly a few months back. Guinness Book of World Records has awarded this title to our very own red chili and the media all across has been covering this event widely. But almost all reports in English named this chilly as “ghost chilly” translating the name directly from Assamese. In Assamese “bhut” stands for “ghost”. Bhot actually means people of Bhutan. Awarded chili is Bhot Jolokiya not Bhut Jolokiya In Assam everyone knows it. Some journalist made this mistake sometime back and it is continuing." -- Rabati Neog, http://www.assamtimes.org/knowledge-development/288.html

:welcome: to the forum and thanks for the info.

And the Bhot/Bhoot saga continues here as well. My mom gets very pedantic when we use Bhoot to refer to ... err well Ghost Pepper. Should have been Bhot, and Bhot err... well never meant ghost in any of the languages spoken in this part the world.

Back