• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

divorce? why would you ask?!?

OH! Maybe because I was going to come home today and enjoy my first ripe habanero.....
What went wrong? Well, some nice Indian (as in from Asia, not Native americans) neighbors were by to visit today. They were intrigued by my lovely peppers and my gracious wife offered them some....
I told her that this was fine, never once thinking that they might take my only habanero showing anything but green.(nearly 90% orange, none of my others have even started to ripen!)

I am over it, but I needed to vent. Thanks.:mouthonfire:

P.S should I warn them? does anyone know if Indian recipes use habanero? My wife only told them that it might be hot....

cheezydemon said:
OH! Maybe because I was going to come home today and enjoy my first ripe habanero.....
What went wrong? Well, some nice Indian (as in from Asia, not Native americans) neighbors were by to visit today. They were intrigued by my lovely peppers and my gracious wife offered them some....
I told her that this was fine, never once thinking that they might take my only habanero showing anything but green.(nearly 90% orange, none of my others have even started to ripen!)

I am over it, but I needed to vent. Thanks.:mouthonfire:

P.S should I warn them? does anyone know if Indian recipes use habanero? My wife only told them that it might be hot....

Well if they're from India they probably knew what they were looking for and probably won't consider an orange hab that hot. Most Indian cuisine that I've tried tends to be quite fiery.

As for your only ripe hab being picked, well that's just wrong but what are you going to do?

This might not be a ditching the wife offense. But for the ones that are....do you know why divorce costs so much? BECAUSE ITS WORTH IT!!

When I go on vacation, I always invite the neighbors and friends to help themselves to some peppers. One year I got home to find the garden stripped. I mean, there wasn't anything there but very immature green peppers and tomatoes. So, I started asking around and found the culprit was one of my co-workers. When I said something to her about her taking the green peppers and tomatoes, she bristled at me and said that she liked green peppers and loved fried green tomatoes. I gently explained that that wasn't the point, that I had expected to arrive home to at least a few ripe fruits and more ready to ripen. She bristled again and said that she had to get what she could when she had a chance.

Now, this time of year I usually show up at work with a grocery store bag of peppers to give away at least twice a week, so it's not like she didn't have plenty of chances to get peppers. I also show up with an extra couple of tomatoes from June until the blight takes them.

I told her politely that I hope she'd gotten all she wanted, because henceforth she would not be allowed to pick from my garden. She had the temerity to tell me my peppers weren't that good anyway, that I didn't even have any jalapeƱos or bell peppers.

*sigh* No good deed goes unpunished.

No I am not going to seriously divorce over this. It wasn't even a fight, just a mild disapointment.
I hear you Pam, I will have to be present for any future "gifts" from the garden.(or at least my hab plant is off limits, if they haven't already decided it was too hot!)

I know we on this site differentiate between the hottest 6 or so peppers on earth, but don't scoff at an orange hab. To the non grower that doesn't drink daves insanity at breakfast every morning, an orange hab might as well be the hottest pepper on the planet for all they know. Their taste buds won't register anything but freaking HOT.

cheezydemon said:
No I am not going to seriously divorce over this. It wasn't even a fight, just a mild disapointment.
I hear you Pam, I will have to be present for any future "gifts" from the garden.(or at least my hab plant is off limits, if they haven't already decided it was too hot!)

I know we on this site differentiate between the hottest 6 or so peppers on earth, but don't scoff at an orange hab. To the non grower that doesn't drink daves insanity at breakfast every morning, an orange hab might as well be the hottest pepper on the planet for all they know. Their taste buds won't register anything but freaking HOT.

Ya well it's all a matter of perspective now isn't it?:lol:

It's been a habit of mine to give the first fruits of the garden away. It's usually the hot peppers, sweet peppers, green and red tomato's and a portion of the first picked and blanched green beans. Then throughout the life of the garden I'll deliver a small basket of stuff to others from time to time. It's the very last of the gardens bounty that would upset me if given away. I wouldn't get a divorce over it though. Perhaps make some organic fertilizer but never a divorce ;-)

I can relate to Pam's story about the co-worker. About 17yrs ago one of my brothers clean picked my garden. It was a large garden and it must have taken a small wagon to haul it all. Since then I don't let anybody pick even a weed unless I'm there.

yea that would be a bummer coming home to findout your only ripe hab is gone ;)
thats why I've always had 1 simple rule for everyone "dont touch my chiles or bells, EVER!" :D I'll give you what kind of chile or how much I feel like giving to someone & if they're not happy with them, then fine "no chiles for you" :lol:

I see you caught that little spoof :lol:
but hey I love chiles & I know some people can be greedy when you say "you can have a couple" or they take all the really good ones & leave you just the cayennes or ? & then the ones they did take it'd be the very late season growers & leave you with none of them because there wouldnt be enough time left in the season to produce & ripen those late season hab types.

I do give some away but only when they are ripe & only certain ones which this depends on the harvest numbers or the numbers on the plant of that kind.
but hey what else can you do ? other than running the risk of someone picking your pods that you want for yourself.

cheezydemon said:

I am over it, but I needed to vent. Thanks.:lol:

sorry cheezydemon but my advice is to get rid of her lest she does it again! ;)

Pam said:
When I go on vacation, I always invite the neighbors and friends to help themselves to some peppers. One year I got home to find the garden stripped. I mean, there wasn't anything there but very immature green peppers and tomatoes. So, I started asking around and found the culprit was one of my co-workers. When I said something to her about her taking the green peppers and tomatoes, she bristled at me and said that she liked green peppers and loved fried green tomatoes. I gently explained that that wasn't the point, that I had expected to arrive home to at least a few ripe fruits and more ready to ripen. She bristled again and said that she had to get what she could when she had a chance.

Now, this time of year I usually show up at work with a grocery store bag of peppers to give away at least twice a week, so it's not like she didn't have plenty of chances to get peppers. I also show up with an extra couple of tomatoes from June until the blight takes them.

I told her politely that I hope she'd gotten all she wanted, because henceforth she would not be allowed to pick from my garden. She had the temerity to tell me my peppers weren't that good anyway, that I didn't even have any jalapeƱos or bell peppers.

*sigh* No good deed goes unpunished.

the hide of some people! why don't you go and buy a few jalapenos and inject them with pure cap - that'll teach Mrs Smartass a lesson she needs to learn!

Back