• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Begin! Mexican TD

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
It's the Mexican TD! Finally!

1. You must create a Mexican dish (this includes regional takes on Mexican cuisine such as Tex-Mex etc. but not fusion--keep it Mexican).
2. You must create a homemade salsa to accompany the dish.*
*The stuff you eat chips with, you know, salsa. Diced or pureed. Served chilled or room temp. On the dish or on the side. Not a hot sauce or cooking sauce.
3. A hot pepper ingredient must be used in the salsa and in the main dish. Spice this one up!
4. You must create a post in this topic with a name of your creation, a list of ingredients and cooking methods, and two presentation pictures (MAX). You are free to post additional pictures in unofficial posts and teasers.
5. Proof of Life = 80 cents in coins posted in a teaser pic or presentation pic.

BEGIN!

ENDS MONDAY EVE AT 10 PM EDT!

1. You must create a Mexican dish (this includes regional takes on Mexican cuisine such as Tex-Mex etc. but not fusion--keep it Mexican).

I'm a little confused here boss. If we're supposed to keep it Mexican, why is Tex-Mex allowed? And why is Tex-Mex not considered fusion?

The cuisine here is Mexican, whether it is from Mexico, or is from a region that has their version of Mexican.

Fusion is fusing two distinct cuisines, so no Mexican lasagna. Regional takes on a cuisine are that region's version of the distinct cuisine, as in Tex-Mex.

It is clear to me, if it is not clear to you you'll have to interpret it yourself and do your best.

Thanks boss. Should be a good one.

I'm especially interested to see how strong TB can cook mexican without alaskan salmon.

I'm figuring pretty damn strong.
I'm thinking about making matador soup.

I'm trying to get my hands on some bull testicles.

Not my hands...you know what I meant.

T E A S E R . . .

4ac175ee.jpg

right on mesatrin! Blue margaritas! I hope to see LOTS of jargaritas in theis TD.

I'd planned on cooking tonight, but the store didn't get a delivery of my main ingredient today, so it's back to town tomorrow.....but it'll be worth it!

Hey Scovile Deville----you want any FRESH ORANGE FATALII chiles straight out of the garden to play around with??? I might be able to be bribed with one of those green tequila drinks you've be talking about to drop some by tomorrow....

The Threesome Fiesta.

Black Bean and Corn Salsa:
Black Beans
Corn
Lime Juice
Habenero
Tomato (fresh)
Cilantro
Onion
Taco Seasoning

Cook the corn how ever you like, I boiled and then charred. Dice the onion and marinade the onion in the lime juice (it takes some of the bite away). Cut the corn off the cob. Finely dice the Habenero. Mix all ingredients together and let sit for at least 20 min (lets the flavors meld better).

Flank Steak:
Tequila
Lime
White Vinegar
Onion
Cayenne
Tomato Juice
Habenero
Taco Seasoning
Chili Powder
onion powder.

Dry rub is created with the taco seasoning, cayenne, chili, onion powders. Let sit with the dry rub for half hour. A quick marinade in the Lime juice, Tequila, white vinegar, onion, and Habenero. After the marinade sear the steak in cast iron pan. After the sear cook low (220 degrees) on rack covered with marinade and tomato juice in the roaster under the rack.

2011-09-02_14-23-56_133.jpg

After 5 hours Shred the Steak.

2011-09-02_16-12-42_140.jpg

Black Bean and Tomato Rice:
Rice
Black bean
Tomato with green chili
Salsa (from above)

Cook the rice according to package. Drain and rinse the beans. Mix all ingredients together.

2011-09-02_18-59-52_317.jpg

Tamales:
Lard
Masa
Flank Steak (from above)
Corn
Corn Husk
Shredded Mexican Cheese.

Beat the lard with salt until it is fluffy. mix in Masa (3 parts masa -1 part lard). Mix in the cooking juice from the steak until a cookie dough texture.

Boil the corn husks. Spread the mixture on the husks and add the steak and cheese filling. Wrap. Bake at 350 for 15 min. (I know steaming is traditional but I like it better this way.

2011-09-02_16-29-50_14.jpg

Chili Relleno:
Poblano
Flank Steak (from above)
Rice (from above)
Shredded Cheese

Broil the Poblano and remove the skin. Cut open and remove seeds. Fill with steak and rice. Bake 350 15 min. Last min in the over top with shredded cheese.

Burrito:
Flank Steak (above)
Rice (above)
Salsa (above)
Shredded Cheese
Whole Grain Tortilla

Wrap all ingredients in the tortilla. Top with Queso Blanko.

Corn and Jalapeno Queso Blanco
Asadero Cheese
Queso Blanco Cheese
Half and Half
Jalapeno
Corn
Onion
Sour Cream
Tomato and green Chili

Cook the onions and jalapeno corn until onions are translucent. Add half and half with sour cream in crock pot on low. Blend to smooth. Add cheese slowly and allow to melt. Add Tomatoes at the end.

Everything with the .80
2011-09-02_18-51-34_140.jpg

will post plated pictures once my girlfriend stops yelling at me to get off the computer.

will post plated pictures once my girlfriend stops yelling at me to get off the computer.
Make sure to include all the info in the final post too. 2 pics max in that one.

Lookin' good. Love tamales.

zdecker,... lard?

If that's lard... carnitassssss! :dance:

Hope it's not Velveeta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back