• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Whats in your Garden

Brazilian Red Pumpkin (1) -- C. baccatuum ??
Bulgarian Carrot (2) -- C. annum
Bulgarian Spicey (1) -- C. annum??
Carmagnola Rossa (1) -- C. annum
Cayenne Long Slim (4) -- C. annum
Chilhaucle Negro (3) -- C. annum
Congo Yellow Trinidad (2) -- C. chinense
Devil's Tongue (1) -- C. chinense
Garden Salsa Hybrid (5) -- C. annum
Golden Bell (5) -- C. annum
Habanero Red Savina (1) -- C. chinense
Hungarian Yellow Wax (2) -- C. annum
Jalapeno (4) -- C. annum
Jaloro (1) -- C. annum
Jamaican Red (1) -- C. annum
Lemon Drop (1) -- C. baccatuum
Nepali Orange (1) -- C. annum
Puple Bird (3) -- C. annum
Serrano (1) -- C. annum
Super Chile Hybrid (4) -- C. annum
Thai Hot Dragon Hybrid (1) -- C. annum
Tobasco (2) -- C. frutescens
Topeppo Rossa (1) -- C. annum
Trinidad Perfume (2) -- C. chinense

Most doing well here too for being in Iowa, man what I wouln't give to live about 3 states south of here!

Canuk Pepperhead said:
I know im new here but didnt see a thread like this.... ill start I have 53 hab plants and 3 japs all doing well for ontario weather

I think most of us posted our lists in the spring.

Right now, what's growing in my garden is a lot of weeds. I just got back from two weeks up north last night, and not only did the heat hit me like a hammer, so did the fact that the Puppy Au Pair actually watered the garden this time. You can hardly see the peppers in and amongst the lemon basil and a couple of other weeds. I shall be up at the crack of dawn tomorrow weeding before the worst of the heat hits.

pepper-wise, I have 14 terracotta pots waiting to be lovingly filled with potting mix in readiness for my chile plantation of about 45 plants.

I forget what the number is for chiles & bell plants but its around 55 plants, how many different strains ? I forget that too right now.
all I know is that I feel less of a chilehead when I hear of IGG with his 213 plants or others, which several people plant well over 100 plants. I guess I'll be growing 100 plants next year just to try to keep up with the jones's :cool:
but hey I see it as a way to find that certain type of chile that'll grow well for your area, & once finding a couple of those you can cut back on growing so many different kinds of chiles.

POTAWIE said:
You like terracotta Chilliman? I avoid them since they dry out very quick.

Here's my old unedited growing list. I've never done a plant count this year.
http://tinyurl.com/27jh4y

well Potawie, it's like this, I don't really have a choice. the beautiful Chilliwoman has a lovely garden and there is no way I can have an unsightly chile patch, so we've reached a compromise. the terracotta pots look great and they can be moved around to follow the sun at the end of the season to help ripen the last of the pods.

I've got a little trick for retaining the moisture. you can buy a preparation to paint/seal the inside of the pots but I don't like that idea. I use plastic garbage bags. simply open the bag inside the pot. put a small slit at the bottom for drainage and trim the top of the bag to the soil line. that's it!

chilehunter said:
I guess I'll be growing 100 plants next year just to try to keep up with the jones's :lol:
but hey I see it as a way to find that certain type of chile that'll grow well for your area, & once finding a couple of those you can cut back on growing so many different kinds of chiles.

Ya, next year I'm planning on growing less varieties (maybe 15-20 instead of 50)but just as many or more plants. Its so hard though to narrow down what to grow and what not to grow.

this list is not updated but only a very few are not in the garden most of the plants i have I only have one of but some have more like the Nagas and the Bhuts and the Habs. Next year I will not have as many varieties as potawie has also said but the garden will be very large next year and I will have around 200 in the ground. this year i have around 125. I will probably not put any in pots next year because they did not do as well as the ones in the garden. I will be looking more for the odd shaped peppers.

Aji Amarillo
Aji Benito
Aji Brazilian Starfish
Aji Dulce #1
Aji Dulce #2
Aji Limo
Aji Norteno
Anaheim
Ancho/Pablano
Antohi Romanian
Aurora
Balloon (Bishops Crown)
Bellingrath Gardens
Bhut Jolokai
Black Manaqualana
Bolivian Rainbow
Brazilian Multicolor Acorn
Bulgarian Carrot
Burning Bush
Cal Wonder
Cayenne Gold
Cayenne Long Thin
Charleston Hot
Chicken Heart (Hinckle Hatz)
Chilly Chile
Chiltepin
Chinese Giant
Congo Trinidad
Cumari
De Arbol Purple
Earbob
Elephant Probiscus
Fatalii
Fatalii ThinFish Pepper
Fresno
Friggatillo
Habanero Cayenne (Hybrid)
Hab Chocolate
Hab Brown
Hab Golden Lantern
Hab Orange
Hab Red
Hab Red Lantern
Hab White
Hab Aji
Hab Amarillo
Hab Black Congo
Hab Dulce
Hot Lemon
Inca Red Drop
Jalabenero (Jalapeno Hab Mix)
Jalapeno Early
Jalapeno "M"
Jalapeno Purple
Jalapeno Tam
Jamaican Scotch Bonnet
Jimmy's Little White Hot
Jimmy Nardello
Korean Yellow
Mexican Long
Naga Morich
Napalese Bell
NuMex Big Jim
Orange Dulce
Papri Paprika
Pepperoncini
Pepperoncini Golden Greek
Peter pepper Red
Peter pepper Orange
Peter Pepper Yellow
Pequin
Peru Yellow
Pointsettia
Pretty Purple
Red Popper
Rocotillo
Rocoto Orange
Rocoto Red
Royal Black
Santa Fe Grande
Sapporo
Serrano
Serrano Purple
Louisiana Sport Pepper
Starburst
Tabasco
Tobago Orange Scotch Bonnet
Tobago Seasoning
Thai
Thai KeeNu
Valero
Venezualan Purple
Yellow Mushroom

Dale

The weeds are horible this year but we planted about 100 varieties 18000
seeds about 12000 plants survived...check out my site for all the varieties and updates. www.madhillpeppers.com I'm not marketing just would be tough to list all. would love to trade seeds in the fall or winter for stuff we don't have..

Mad Hill Pepper said:
seeds about 12000 plants survived...check out my site for all the varieties and updates. www.madhillpeppers.com I'm not marketing just would be tough to list all. would love to trade seeds in the fall or winter for stuff we don't have..

Wow.

"Mad" is entirely appropriate.

Mad Hill Pepper said:
OK, he wins.

Bazuka
Big Jim
Bhut Jolokia
Brazilian Starfish
Cayenne Long Slim
Cherry Bomb Hybrid
Chocolate Habanero
Cleo's Dragon
Congo Trinidad
Devil's Tongue
Fatalii
Gambia
Grenada Hot
Jamaican Hot Chocolate
Kung Pao
Lantern
Limon
Long Chocolate Habanero
Orange Habanero
Pretty Purple
Purple Habanero
Rashid
Red Habanero
Red Savina
Santaka
Tabasco
Thai Dragon Hybrid
White Habanero (Peruvian)
Yellow Habanero

About 100 plants in total :(

No no I don 't win.. It's just a crazy hobby that 3 guys went overboard with and now we can't quit. We love it. Believe it or not there are several here I don't and I'm very impressed

for my first year growing for myself im hooked....I just made a chili I got from this site and used jalipinos from my garden and habs from my buddies harvest last year...damn fine chili Daves Southwest Style Meaty Chili..I added the beans lol ya gotta have beans in a chili to make it a chili lol..either way I cant wait for my habs to turn and nice to see some of the gardens here :(

Back