Dehyrator

I know that if your wanting to REALLY keep the color when you dry them then you have to do it at low temps.. I bought a dehydrator from walmart and it is drying at 160 degrees.. that be no good... BUT....(if your not set on BUYING one) ... you can take the filters they sell for A/C units and put your pods in the grooves in the filters (I would split the pods in half) stack up the filters and bungie cord them to a box fan and turn it on...you dont need to leave to box fan laying down, set it up like you normally would...now, it will take a while for the peppers to dry but it WILL work and be really inexpensive.. just make sure you dont buy the filters made from fiber glass.. yuck... you could dry your seeds like this as well... Hope this helps!

Thanks, that is a really inexpensive way of doing it

last year before the wife bought me my dehydrator, i would put the sliced peppers on a plate and place the plate on my furnace registers, i just had to move the peppers around to avoid any molding and to dry evenly. that cheapo method took about 4 days to dry juicy orange habaneros.

Check out LEM's SS models, and email them and ask about "scratch and dent" models. They will email you back with a good deal on a stainless unit that may have a small scratch or ding.

Cool, let me know if it works out.

I Agree- Great Tip about the LEM products.

I just back from Cabelas - (Yes I know How did you get in and out in under an Hour. lol) Anyway they had several Dehydrators on sale. After looking at them I got a Wild Hair Idea of turning my Electric Smoker into a Dehydrator-

I know I can get down to 150 to 160*F --I really want to be I want to be around 120* so what if I mounted (or even just connected) an inline 4 inch exhaust fan to the Smokers Exhaust Vent to pull hot air from the smoker- But I am still going to need and air intake for proper airflow.

I am way over thinking this--- I think you could generate enough heat with a 100wt incandescent light bulb inside a cardboard box with little computer exhaust fan mounted to draw air in and blow across the bulb to distribute the heat. "Think easy bake oven"

Anyway here is a link regarding different types of dehydrators
http://www.living-foods.com/marketplace/dehydratorcompare.html

Martin

I use a NESCO dehydrator with an adjustable thermostat. NESCOs have always gotten rave reviews that I've seen so I ponied up around $60 for one. I was pleased, but it still takes me over a day to dry thinner pods on a 125F setting which is where I like it. I don't think it's defective, just not as fast as I would have liked. I could always bump it up to 160 and roast them in a few hours but we all know that flavor is better slow dried.

I know I can get down to 150 to 160*F --I really want to be I want to be around 120* so what if I mounted (or even just connected) an inline 4 inch exhaust fan to the Smokers Exhaust Vent to pull hot air from the smoker- But I am still going to need and air intake for proper airflow.

You should only need two vents and one fan. I would make some holes on the other side of the smoker and rig the fan to push IN rather than out. I'd just be worried with a plastic fan melting from higher temps over time, but if you are blowing cool air in that won't happen. Air should circulate out just as easy. The problem with setting this up is you will also be losing much more smoke this way so you may have to smoke for longer. Just some thoughts.

Nice. :eek: on the sticker and I can see why dent and ding discounts would be looked for. I wonder if the 12 hour timer is the longest it goes or just an option.

10% Off LEM

• Offer Expires 10/31/2011 (11:59pm EST)
• Offer valid on Internet orders, shipping within the contiguous U.S.
• $125 minimum order before shipping, handling and taxes are added
• Previous purchases are not eligible for this discount
• All oversized & additional shipping charges still apply
• Enter promo code: FALL10off during checkout

I have the NESCO variety. I dried a bunch at 135F - which was their suggested setting. The unit worked great, but the chiles did lose their color. I want to try another batch at the lowest setting and use my infrared thermo to verify the accuracy of their controls. I have smoked/dried chiles in my grill. I add WET chips at the end of my grilling episode (meat) and shut the grill vents off. The following day the chiles are smoled and dried - definitely the best of both worlds.

Excalibur....American made...not cheap, but last a long time...3926T

http://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/9-Tray-Large-Excalibur-with-26-hour-Timer-3926T-28-37-regular-prod.htm

10% Off LEM

• Offer Expires 10/31/2011 (11:59pm EST)
• Offer valid on Internet orders, shipping within the contiguous U.S.
• $125 minimum order before shipping, handling and taxes are added
• Previous purchases are not eligible for this discount
• All oversized & additional shipping charges still apply
• Enter promo code: FALL10off during checkout

LEM 778 10 Tray Stainless Steel Dehydrator with Timer $299.99 less $31 with code SCARY at checkout, free shipping.

Offer Expires 10/31/2011 (11:59pm EST)

Back