34 replies to this topic

#21 Cerberus

Cerberus

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:52 AM

I checked my Nesco dehydrator at the lowest setting - 95F - with my infrared temp gun. It was dead on. I started a batch around 12 hours ago. They are still bright red and about 50% dried. I am very happy with it's performance. Paid ~ 60 bucks for it at Bed bath and Beyond.
Got Morelia viridis?

#22 belltold12

belltold12

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:29 PM

I checked my Nesco dehydrator at the lowest setting - 95F - with my infrared temp gun. It was dead on. I started a batch around 12 hours ago. They are still bright red and about 50% dried. I am very happy with it's performance. Paid ~ 60 bucks for it at Bed bath and Beyond.

i just picked up the same one! I have it set at 115F and will check it in the morning to see how things have progressed. I was planning on buying this dehydrator for awhile now off amazon and when i saw it at bed bath and beyond for around the same price I was pretty stoked. Might even go pick up a second one dedicated to making jerky.

#23 salsalady

salsalady

On Fire!

• Extreme Biz
  • 9,696 posts
  • aka:SL, HSL
  • (x6)

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:21 PM

115F for chiles may turn them darker than drying at a lower temp.

Last year I did a batch of orange habs at ~103F and they kept a pretty good color. The next batch I did at 110F turned out darker but dried faster. Depending on what the intended use is, color might not matter.

Texas Creek Products

The Chile Addict's prayer-"Lord, grant me the wisdom to know it will be too hot, the courage to eat it anyway, and the serenity to accept the pain that follows. Amen"

PepperPeopleRock!

#24 belltold12

belltold12

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 02:47 PM

I checked this morning after about 15 hours and the bhuts and scorps will still pretty vibrant red. The datils became a little darker but not by much. for the most part they look pretty dry however they still have some shimmer on the insides vs. that matte dried chile look. I halved them to save seed. Although I guess in the future if i set the dehydrator to 95F and left the chiles whole or at least the seed structures intact they'd still come out viable, yeah? That seems like it would make the deseeding process wayyyy easier. Is there a particular look to "done" vs. under or over dried?

#25 biscgolf

biscgolf

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:14 PM

i have a nesco dehydrator i've used for a while and never really liked, have also borrowed my brother's higher end nesco which was somewhat better but still so-so.

a friend loaned me his LEM this week and that thing kicks arse... first time i haven't felt like i was wasting my time and electricity.
"my mind, it ain't so open... that anything can crawl right in"- magazine

#26 hot stuff

hot stuff

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:58 PM

I like my excalibur I bought at a yard sale.
DON'T TOUCH ME UNLESS YOU'VE BEEN WEARING GLOVES!
GEAUX SAINTS! GEAUX LSU!

#27 cory_huck

cory_huck

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:02 AM

so, I just got a dehydrator yesterday for free off of www.freecycle.org. If you arent a member there, I would suggest it! Now, I just have to leard how to use it! LOL

i carry a big pepper in my pocket!

#28 Justaguy

Justaguy

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 5,494 posts
  • aka:JAG and Knepper's Peppers

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:09 PM

I love freecycle. I have given away and received so many things on there over the years.
www.KneppersPeppers.com Hot Sauce
Taste the Flavor, Feel the Heat

#29 sicman

sicman

On Fire!

• Extreme Biz
  • 12,273 posts
  • aka:siccy..aka papa sic..

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:10 AM

my new dehydratorPosted Image

sicmans_128-1.gif

#30 LUCKYDOG

LUCKYDOG

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,773 posts
  • aka:Th1n1ce

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:17 AM

115F for chiles may turn them darker than drying at a lower temp.

Last year I did a batch of orange habs at ~103F and they kept a pretty good color. The next batch I did at 110F turned out darker but dried faster. Depending on what the intended use is, color might not matter.

+1 - If Im drying to powder Im not really worried about color as much - if Im drying whole pods to look purty I cut the heat back and on a humid day that takes FOREVER

#31 woody3says

woody3says

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:31 AM

my new dehydratorPosted Image

Purdy!!! How many sq ft does that sucker hold?
"Its swimming upstream to teach people actual facts. People hear one thing from certain people that then it doesn't matter whats true or not."

#32 AlabamaJack

AlabamaJack

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 15,714 posts
  • aka:AJ
  • (x2)

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:25 AM

nice Sic...
AJ
"If people will learn to "listen" to their plants, they will tell you what they want". AlabamaJack

#33 biscgolf

biscgolf

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:50 AM

yep... badass sic!
"my mind, it ain't so open... that anything can crawl right in"- magazine

#34 Lady Sic

Lady Sic

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:38 AM

Cabelas has a nice commercial dehydrator. Comes in 80 or 160. We have the 160. It has 24 racks, but for peppers it accomadates 12. Dries evenly, so no rotating of racks, clean up is easy, and our peppers have retained nice color even at 160 degrees. Full, it does take about 20 to 24 hours depending on the pepper. Ordered on line, no shipping and got here to FL in about three days

Sicman's Hot Peppers and Powders

#35 sicman

sicman

On Fire!

• Extreme Biz
  • 12,273 posts
  • aka:siccy..aka papa sic..

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:00 AM

ya,what she said

sicmans_128-1.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users