Dehyrator

I checked my Nesco dehydrator at the lowest setting - 95F - with my infrared temp gun. It was dead on. I started a batch around 12 hours ago. They are still bright red and about 50% dried. I am very happy with it's performance. Paid ~ 60 bucks for it at Bed bath and Beyond.

I checked my Nesco dehydrator at the lowest setting - 95F - with my infrared temp gun. It was dead on. I started a batch around 12 hours ago. They are still bright red and about 50% dried. I am very happy with it's performance. Paid ~ 60 bucks for it at Bed bath and Beyond.

i just picked up the same one! I have it set at 115F and will check it in the morning to see how things have progressed. I was planning on buying this dehydrator for awhile now off amazon and when i saw it at bed bath and beyond for around the same price I was pretty stoked. Might even go pick up a second one dedicated to making jerky.

115F for chiles may turn them darker than drying at a lower temp.

Last year I did a batch of orange habs at ~103F and they kept a pretty good color. The next batch I did at 110F turned out darker but dried faster. Depending on what the intended use is, color might not matter.

I checked this morning after about 15 hours and the bhuts and scorps will still pretty vibrant red. The datils became a little darker but not by much. for the most part they look pretty dry however they still have some shimmer on the insides vs. that matte dried chile look. I halved them to save seed. Although I guess in the future if i set the dehydrator to 95F and left the chiles whole or at least the seed structures intact they'd still come out viable, yeah? That seems like it would make the deseeding process wayyyy easier. Is there a particular look to "done" vs. under or over dried?

i have a nesco dehydrator i've used for a while and never really liked, have also borrowed my brother's higher end nesco which was somewhat better but still so-so.

a friend loaned me his LEM this week and that thing kicks arse... first time i haven't felt like i was wasting my time and electricity.

so, I just got a dehydrator yesterday for free off of www.freecycle.org. If you arent a member there, I would suggest it! Now, I just have to leard how to use it! LOL

my new dehydrator
dehydrator.jpg

115F for chiles may turn them darker than drying at a lower temp.

Last year I did a batch of orange habs at ~103F and they kept a pretty good color. The next batch I did at 110F turned out darker but dried faster. Depending on what the intended use is, color might not matter.

+1 - If Im drying to powder Im not really worried about color as much - if Im drying whole pods to look purty I cut the heat back and on a humid day that takes FOREVER

Cabelas has a nice commercial dehydrator. Comes in 80 or 160. We have the 160. It has 24 racks, but for peppers it accomadates 12. Dries evenly, so no rotating of racks, clean up is easy, and our peppers have retained nice color even at 160 degrees. Full, it does take about 20 to 24 hours depending on the pepper. Ordered on line, no shipping and got here to FL in about three days

Back