• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Why aren't my ghost pepper hot???

Hi everyone,

I'm from Northern Florida (Panhandle FLorida)and I have a ghost pepper plant (new to growing any type of plant/fruit). It produce 16 large pepper but not even spicy or hot. It taste like sweet bell pepper! Can some tell me what i'm doing wrong?? It's been hot as usually in Florida and it hasn't rain alot either but I'd water the plant twice a day (if not the leaves wilt) and made sure it had plenty of sunlight!!! Please help me out!! I've search the web like crazy and still cannot find an answer! I read on one website that to be careful of cross pollination and I do have a jalapeno plant that is across the yard (I made sure to keep it far away as possible) but will that effect the spiciness of my ghost pepper plant?? Also on another website it states not to water the plant to much and to keep in the sunlight which I have already done. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?? PLEASE HELP ME!!!!! Thanks in advance =o)

Where did you get your seeds? Do they look like bhuts? Can you post some pics? You dont have to worry about your jalapeno this year it would not affect the heat of this years crop, if they do cross pollonate it is the seeds that you plant next year from the pods that will be affected.

Chad

First, we love
flash.gif

Second, don't worry about your Jalapeno as cross pollination effects the seeds in the pods you get this year, but not the heat or flavor of this years pods. Seeds from cross pollinated pods will grow different next year.

Third, we love
flash.gif

Fourth, where did you get the seeds?

Fifth, we love......oh I think I said that already.

flash.gif

flash.gif

flash.gif

Because they're not ghost peppers and you've been hornswoggled...where did you get the plants/seeds? Can you get a picture for us?

Cross pollination only affects the fruit from the next generation(s), after seed is saved and then grown out, not the current one.

Thanks all for your help =oD

I bought them from http://www.ghostpeppers.com a year ago (I don't have any seed left - bought 3 seed for $30). When I plant the seed it only produced 1 plant. They look exactly like the ghost pepper.

Sorry all, I don't know how to post image. When I click on the image button it asks for a url!! But I post here https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=62647f3da5f8770d&resid=62647F3DA5F8770D!102&authkey=njrtinHpa3k%24

Sorry my picture's aren't great and it was to heavy for me to move by myself (my dad put tons of Mircle Grow soil =oD)and the sunlight kept messing up the image so I could only take 1/2 of the plant in a weird angle. Thanks again for you help =o)

First of all welcome to the Forum from Orlando FL :)

That looks to me like a Bhut strain (note: i am not expert at all) but it sounds like you got a bad batch of seeds. Most likely they were open pollinated and you have a well Bell pepper Ghost pepper.... :)

Seriously, I have a Dorset Naga and even in green right now its kicking my behind badly. If you want some good seed. I have some left after planting that are from Isolated plants. Otherwise there are some great places to buy good quality seeds.

www.pepperlover.com
www.refininghotchilies.com
www.peppermania.com

I have had great customer service from all three. i am sure others can chime in on this. and there is a good sticky thread on this in the forum. Otherwise check the seeds sales section here.

I bought them from http://www.ghostpeppers.com a year ago (I don't have any seed left - bought 3 seed for $30). When I plant the seed it only produced 1 plant. They look exactly like the ghost pepper.

Sorry all, I don't know how to post image. When I click on the image button it asks for a url!! But I post here https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=62647f3da5f8770d&resid=62647F3DA5F8770D!102&authkey=njrtinHpa3k%24

Is there anyway to get your $30 refunded?

That looks to me like a Bhut strain (note: i am not expert at all) but it sounds like you got a bad batch of seeds. Most likely they were open pollinated and you have a well Bell pepper Ghost pepper.... :)

I don't think crazyhot's pods look anything like those listed on ghostpepper.com. They're fatter and smoother then the long bumpy pods depicted on the sellers site. Most importantly they should be hot!

^^^^^ What he said!

I had a look at your pics. In my opinion the general shape is wrong for Bhuts, sorry mate.

Edit: This pic is direct from that guys site, oh my what crappy seeds! He is still selling them for $25 for 24 seeds. What a GIMP!
GhostPepperSeeds.jpg

You got hosed thats no bhut, stinks that you lost your season. Let me add to the list of reliable seed sources thehippyseedcompany.com Neil will take good care of ya.

Chad

^^^^^ What he said!

I had a look at your pics. In my opinion the general shape is wrong for Bhuts, sorry mate.

Edit: This pic is direct from that guys site, oh my what crappy seeds! He is still selling them for $25 for 24 seeds. What a GIMP!
GhostPepperSeeds.jpg

40 bucks for 4 supposed Trinidad scorpion seedlings!!!! Wow

...... :shocked:

That's insane.
His sauce (which has the Guiness World Records logo on it - LOL) isn't cheap either... $10-$30 per 1.7oz! And it doesn't have fresh Jolokia in it!

B b b b b but he gets them off of his four year old mother plant so they must be good! :rofl:
He claims to grow the biggest Bhut plant outside of india lol he has not seen pepper gurus plants thats for sure!

Here's what someone had to say about his Ghost Pepper Regular sauce.

"I paid $20 for 1.7 oz of Paul Kelly's ghost pepper sauce. It had zero burn, and left me feeling like a sucker."

http://www.king5.com/news/get-jesse/Let-Jesse-Buy-It-Hot-sauce-for-Fathers-Day-123667494.html

Sounds like Mr (use the term loosely) Kelly may have been duped himself. In his pic he looks like he may be "mentally challanged" so best give him the benefit of the doubt so to speak.

Looked closely at his website though?
He charges $10 if you want his opinion on chilli growing tips and access to his growing guide.
http://www.ghostpeppers.com/tips.php

Back