Etiquette

A little while ago whilst eating dinner with the family and eating a certain product, we came up with an idea that it would be nice to add a chilli twist to it. Since I have been flat out and just had another baby I was obviously in no rush to develop it too much yet. It is something that hasn't really been done before but I have just found out that another chilli company close by has just made it too. They only sell one type of product and it is another addition to what they sell.

Would it be bad/immoral/waste of time to do it as well? It's a great idea and I think it would do really well but I also don't want to be seen as "copying" them since they have brought it out first. Then again, most products have more than one company make it (how many Bhut Jolokia sauces are out there?) What are your thoughts?

I think as long as you add your own twist to the said product, it's fine. Especially if it's a "commercial" effort.
I've been thinking about something like this of late and that was my final thought at least.

It is basically the same but there was a second thought/twist so I could change it, hey it might turn out better than my original idea.

I only ask all this because people have done it to me and it really pissed me off every time it happened but I guess you can't stop it and why should I be the only one with morals?

You do your best. if you think it's buy worthy, put it up for sale. just don't try and sell something you wouldn't buy just because you believe in the idea.

It is basically the same but there was a second thought/twist so I could change it, hey it might turn out better than my original idea.

I only ask all this because people have done it to me and it really pissed me off every time it happened but I guess you can't stop it and why should I be the only one with morals?

Just look at it this way:

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery both a defence for you to embark on your venture and a positive way to look at people who have done it to you in the past :lol:

You do your best. if you think it's buy worthy, put it up for sale. just don't try and sell something you wouldn't buy just because you believe in the idea.
No it is something I would definately use. Everything I make is because I have a need for it and haven't found it on the market elsewhere.

I want to vote for a and b. Besides i back you 1000% Candice your products are superior.
Thanks heaps, it means a lot. I know I have customers that are happy and loyal and would probably prefer to support me.

Just look at it this way:

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery both a defence for you to embark on your venture and a positive way to look at people who have done it to you in the past :lol:
Yes have thought of that, it still makes you angry if you know that they did it on purpose once they heard of your idea, but oh well at least I have comfort in knowing that I had thought of it before and it was just great minds thinking alike. I guess everything in this world is basically recycled and it's not many that are original ideas. I just have to not worry about what anyone else is doing and just continue with what I do best :)

Just send some to the US and we will be fine with it. :D

Edit to add:
Make it yours, not a copy and all will be fine I am sure. From all I have read in your posts and what people have said, it sure sounds like you can find a way to make it have that Candice touch.

Yes you should go ahead and make it. You are only talking about the same ingredients or close to it. How you add them together, what amounts of each ingredient, how they are prepared (smoked, steamed, ect...) before combining, quality of ingredients and so on all have influence of the final result. I would make your product for your use, use it and adjust it to your satisfaction and put it out there. Let the end user decide which version they like. Some may prefer yours and others may prefer another product. Good luck

Reminds me of the Leibniz and Newton calculus controversy. One claims to have had the idea before the other but the first to publish wins the creation credit. No biggie.

In my business, I see this stuff ALL the time. It seems as if there is this big POOL OF IDEAS that certain people are attuned to. So multiple people may have the same idea simultaneously. Usually, in advertising/graphic design, credit goes to the first to publish. But the ideas get reused with a new twist and often end up better.

I say go for it. Make your sauce. Just don't be so pissed next time it happens to you. Odds are there are many people out there with the same creative mindset and similar tastes/influences. If an idea is ready, it just happens. A la Calculus.

:D

Nothing wrong with going for it in a business sense.
The worst that can happen is the competition or their customers saying you copied them "nyah nyah nyah nah!", but nothing will come of it.
If you can live with that because you i) know it's not true, ii) that type of behavior doesn't bother you as you aren't a primary school kid anymore anyway; well there is no other downside.

Jack Daniels got away with trying to copy bourbon and even the label style of one brand, and now they're more famous than who they ripped off.

Back