• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Brain Strain vs TS morouga

Hey all. I grew the Trinidad Scorpion Morouga Blend this year from Fatalii and noticed that over 90% of the pictures of the Brain Strain pods look absolutely identical. Is it possible that these are the exact same strain? I've noticed that Chris's look a bit different and elongated so I'm wondering if it's also possible that a lot of sellers sell the TSMB and label them as Brain Strain causing the mixup. After searching a bit it seems that Chris tends to think that the TSMB and Brain Strain are oddly similar as well, and since he claims to have received the original TSMB seeds from trinidad and I'm all up for getting his two cents on whether or not they're the same. Real easy for two people to get the same pod and introduce it as different names!

They are distinctly different peppers that look very much a like. We have already been over this many times how similiar they seem from the outside but agree that the Brain Strain has nuclear heat and much more placental tissue than the Morouga Blend. Grow both and find out yourself.

mrz if you can find a TS Morouga I would be happy to send you a 7 Pot Brain Strain. See if you can taste/feel a difference in the two peppers.

I am sorry to say this but I grew both side by side and there is no discernable difference in pod shape size or texture and amount of placental tissue is the same. As far as one being nuclear and the other not that can only be proven by a lab not by someones mouth. Everyone has a different metabolism and what you eat that day and the PH of your saliva that day can affect if something is hotter or not. Cappy if you want to prove me wrong send me your Brain Strain samples dried or fresh and I will have the Chile Pepper Institute run a DNA test. My e mail rfire@cox.net

I am sorry to say this but I grew both side by side and there is no discernable difference in pod shape size or texture and amount of placental tissue is the same. As far as one being nuclear and the other not that can only be proven by a lab not by someones mouth. Everyone has a different metabolism and what you eat that day and the PH of your saliva that day can affect if something is hotter or not. Cappy if you want to prove me wrong send me your Brain Strain samples dried or fresh and I will have the Chile Pepper Institute run a DNA test. My e mail rfire@cox.net

Coooool Pepper DNA tests. I think I'm gonna go get my masters at New Mexico State....

Jim I'm growing both this season I might have to take you up on that offer.

I'm growing both right now as well, but they are only seedlings right now. Cappy has recently said the Brain Strain was the result of a genetic mutation of 7 Pot Red SR, and the Brain Strain Yellow is a 7 Pod Yellow SR that simply resembles his Brain Strain. He gave Pepperlover.com permission to use the Brain Strain name. A DNA test would be very interesting indeed, because things are getting very confusing. I bought 7 Pot Yellow seeds from Pepperlover.com last year, and this year the same thing (as far as I know) is being sold as Brain Strain Yellow, but there is no mention of a genetic mutation that I know of.

Is it the same as the infinity too, they look similar. I've also had Trinidad scorpion-SR look quite the same. My guess is they all came from a not quite fully stablilized variety(Maybe 99%+) and those who grow a lot of seeds, or got lucky, ended up with another variant that comes up less than 1%

I get the feeling that with all of the different superhots we've pulled out of Trinidad and all of the accidental hybrids made over the years just about anything could have happened. I think a good theory is that this particular shape and heat in general is just a recessive phenotype of all 7 pot strains and we've just managed to isolate it several times. It'd be really cool to try to create a tree of all the super hot genetics and I think we'd find that they are all incredibly similar at the genetic level when it comes down to it. I'd be interested to hear Chris and Cappy talk about how they came across each of the two strains and see their reactions to the genetic test if/when it's completed.

Is it the same as the infinity too, they look similar. I've also had Trinidad scorpion-SR look quite the same. My guess is they all came from a not quite fully stablilized variety(Maybe 99%+) and those who grow a lot of seeds, or got lucky, ended up with another variant that comes up less than 1%

Finally the truth is being discovered

I agree with you ....

I cultivate them since 2008 (I know people who cultivate them from before) ... and are the same thing

Now we must try to stabilize the phenotypes that we like ...

if we want give it a name .... but only when we create something new

Marco, I only want the truth but feel you and several other member are out to get me and the 7 Pod Brain Strain and are messing with history books with the naming of this pepper as Scorpion. Who says what Jim had tested at CPI really wasn't really Brain Strain and said it was TSMB. I hope CPI does their work and does DNA this pepper against samples from Trinidad and CARDI before releasing any official statement.

Cappy ... You know how I think of this

we talked about it many times

roughness type brain is present in this variety since 2007 ... and I cultivate for nearly 5 years

and I always called morouga ... Chris wrote the name on the seeds that he sent here in Italy

This is what I can tell

I crossed this strain with a 7 yellow pod and I realized a yellow fruit the same though ... which is now in F4
and in fact I call Trinidad morouga yellow scorpion

AISPES%20187.jpg

For me there is only this name, because it was the first to be used ... in 2007

sincerely

Marco

Cappy--

No one is out to get you. I believe you on how you came across the Brain Strain. It's highly possible that the "extra bumpy" recessive phenotype has appeared in a few pods with similar shapes and people are thinking that they are the same. Neither Jim nor the CPI has not done any genetic testing yet and I will likely be providing the samples for them to do so by the end of the year. I am growing Brain Strain genetics originating from Judy @ PepperLover and TSMB genetics originating from Jukka at Fatalii seeds. It might be a little late now to start the originals from you and Chris but I believe both are reliable sources of the true named plants.

Marco-- that is easily one of the most beautiful pods I've ever seen. I have a similar strain that probably has different genetics and I hope they come out half as beautiful as yours. The texture on that will turn heads. Great work with that strain :clap:

Dear Cappy:) I got my Moruga seeds fro.Jukka in 2009 and Jukka obtained his seeds from Chris Philips. I grew out Brain strain last year and obtained my seeds from Alabama Jack and can see no discernable difference between the varities called Moruga or Brain Strain! Now I love the truth because the truth will set you free! You never created a new pepper. You got your seeds from Sarah for this so called Brain Strain and somehow convinced your following on here that you made something new. Unless you have horticultural documentation to prove me wrong I rest my case.

Well I don't believe you one bit Jim you will lie cheat and steal your way into the record book. I know what you did switching 7 Pod BS seeds and claiming them as your own Moruga Scorpion not to be confused with the Morouga Blend. I cannot prove you got them from Candices plants and I can't get her to come on here and tell her story. So if you see no difference between the Moruga Scorpion/Brain Strain is everybody now just supposed to lump these two strains together? Yes I never created a pepper but neither did you. What happened to the New Mexico Scorpion pepper why wasn't it tested?

Back