• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

pepper seeds

Need some advice. I am going to be drying a lot of Habaneros and Jalepenos. I want to keep the seeds to plant next year and share some of them. I have read that you have to wait til the peppers reach full ripeness before removing the seeds. My Habs that I got are still green. a few have turned a real pretty shade of yellow. How do I get the rest to ripen with out going bad? I have heard putting them in a brown paper bag and letting them set. Is this correct? I have several peppers tied together to air dry and I wanna dry the rest in the oven.

Everything I have read about drying peppers in the oven says to cut them in half and remove seeds. I wanna dry some as pods with the seeds inside (for my sauces)...Can I do this in the oven? Or is airdrying the only way to do this?

your seeds will be more viable if the pod they are taken from is as ripe as possible. seeds from immature pods are unlikely to germinate. if the placental tissue has that greenish tinge to it but the outer skin is the ripe colour (that is, the pod is not fully ripe) then still the seeds may not germinate, or if they do there may be a high number of the seeds that do not.

how do you speed up the ripening process? the less fruit on the plant the quicker the remaining pods will ripen, so maybe you can remove some of your dark green ones. also, give the plants plenty of sunlight so if they are in pots, move them around at season end. I don't know about the paper bag method, I know it works with tomatoes and such like, especially with the addition of a banana - try a few test pods to see what happens, who knows...

if you want to dry pods in the oven then the heat will most likely make the seeds unviable. the pods are cut in half to allow the moisture to escape ie: to hasten the drying process. thick pods like jalapenos take a very long time to dry, even in the oven. you could try quartering jals lengthwise to aid the dehydrating process. oven drying is great, very quick and can give a 'roasty' flavour to the pods, I have made habanero powder from oven dried pods and the flavour was excellent. you have to be careful that you don't burn the pods, especially hot ones like habs as you will think that your house has been attacked with pepper spray canisters due to the gases released (yes, I'm talking from experience). leave your oven door slightly ajar while drying and if you have a fan-forced oven make sure the fan mode is on as this will also speed up the drying process. it is ok to oven dry with the seeds still in the pods.

once you have oven-dried your pods, make sure you allow them to cool before you store them, otherwise you might create condensation and they will go moldy or soggy and be ruined.

another possible way to get the last of your pods to ripen may be to pull the plant out of the ground and to hang it upside down so all the nutrients in the plant will rush to the fruit. the plant's job is to ensure survival of the species so it will go into stress mode in order to make as many pods/seeds viable as possible. if you try this method, maybe try it on only one or two plants rather than uprooting your whole crop. I believe the best method is the one I listed above (picking some of the green ones...). oh yeah, seeds from green jals won't be any good, make sure they're that nice dark red colour!

Thank you very much. So the riper the pod is the more viable the seeds will be. I have a good amount of Habs that are ripening up quite nice. What color should the ripened pod be?

Mine started out green then changed to bright yellow and now are changing to orange. Is the orange color the ripe ones? Or are there more colors to come?

Back