• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

condiment Banana Beauty Ketchup

I found this cookbook while waiting in the terminal leaving Bermuda bound for Boston. There are some amazing recipes in this book, I wanted to share one with you, as this book is probably very hard to find outside of Bermuda.

*1 C. water
*1 C. apple cider vinegar
*1/3 C. molasses
*1/4 C. honey
*3 ripe bananas, mashed
*1/4 C. tomato paste
*1 medium Bermuda or other sweet onion, minced
*2-3 cloves garlic, minced
*1-2 hot chiles (habanero, scotch bonnet, whatever!) stemmed, seeded
*1/3 C. raisins
*1 tsp. salt
*1 tsp. cinnamon
*1/4 tsp. allspice
*1/4 tsp. nutmeg
*1/8 tsp. ground cloves
*6-8 turns on the peppermill
*1/4 C. dark rum (I prefer Gosling's Black Seal)

Heat the water, vinegar, molasses, honey, bananas and tomato paste, stirring until blended. Add onion, garlic, chiles, raisins and simmer for 5 minutes. Add spices and rum and simmer for another 20 minutes until syrupy. Puree in FP or blender.

Banana ketchup? That's just crazy talk. Then again, I must be too since I'm trying to come up with a clone of Heinz 57 steak sauce. Funny, I don't use it on steak as I rarely eat beef but holy mother of James Brown it rocks on fish taco's!

Drinking this right now ;)
Dark and Stormy baby!

Didn't know Bermuda had this recipe. Seems really sweet and lots of spices. Tomato paste huh? Cool. Even though banana ketcup was conceived because of a lack of tomato ketchup. But everything evolves.

Drinking this right now ;)
Dark and Stormy baby!

Didn't know Bermuda had this recipe. Seems really sweet and lots of spices. Tomato paste huh? Cool. Even though banana ketcup was conceived because of a lack of tomato ketchup. But everything evolves.
Ah, the consummate Bermudian drink, the Dark 'n Stormy. Using Gosling's I hope? I've got another one from this book for Hot Mango Ketchup as well that I will post soon.

Gosling's, of course. Ginger People Ginger Beer with real ginger that settles at the bottom.

I found this cookbook while waiting in the terminal leaving Bermuda bound for Boston. There are some amazing recipes in this book, I wanted to share one with you, as this book is probably very hard to find outside of Bermuda.

*1 C. water
*1 C. apple cider vinegar
*1/3 C. molasses
*1/4 C. honey
*3 ripe bananas, mashed
*1/4 C. tomato paste
*1 medium Bermuda or other sweet onion, minced
*2-3 cloves garlic, minced
*1-2 hot chiles (habanero, scotch bonnet, whatever!) stemmed, seeded
*1/3 C. raisins
*1 tsp. salt
*1 tsp. cinnamon
*1/4 tsp. allspice
*1/4 tsp. nutmeg
*1/8 tsp. ground cloves
*6-8 turns on the peppermill

Heat the water, vinegar, molasses, honey, bananas and tomato paste, stirring until blended. Add onion, garlic, chiles, raisins and simmer for 5 minutes. Add spices and rum and simmer for another 20 minutes until syrupy. Puree in FP or blender.

That's a good one...

We had a "Jamaican" party at the house this summer and my version is quite similar except I roast "plaintains" , that really brings out a nutty flavor and I use "Blackstrap" rum...

Hey Texas Blues-

Heinz 57 steak sauce on Fish Tacos? Thats a new one on me.

I make a peper ranch dressing, (Ranch Dressing, chopped pepper of you choice and Cilantro) Mix together and place in the refrigerator for a couple of hours to let the flavors meld.

Martin

Hey Texas Blues-

Heinz 57 steak sauce on Fish Tacos? Thats a new one on me.

I make a peper ranch dressing, (Ranch Dressing, chopped pepper of you choice and Cilantro) Mix together and place in the refrigerator for a couple of hours to let the flavors meld.

Martin

I can't count all the types of sauces I've made for fish tacos. Crema Fresca makes a great base to add garlic, shallots, capers and/or green olives, cilantro, cayenne, even super hot powders such as trinidad scorpion. Ingredients change all the time depending on my mood. The 57 idea came from a dish I used to make in Alaska with baked scallops. I'd whip butter and mix in garlic, shallots, white wine and 57. Breaded scallops in a baking dish and finished with a big dollop of the 57 butter was incredible.

I can't count all the types of sauces I've made for fish tacos. Crema Fresca makes a great base to add garlic, shallots, capers and/or green olives, cilantro, cayenne, even super hot powders such as trinidad scorpion. Ingredients change all the time depending on my mood. The 57 idea came from a dish I used to make in Alaska with baked scallops. I'd whip butter and mix in garlic, shallots, white wine and 57. Breaded scallops in a baking dish and finished with a big dollop of the 57 butter was incredible.

I just never have been a big fan of Heinz 57- or A1 for that matter, but "a big dollop of the 57 butter" has got me epicuriously intrigued. I guess I need to try that.

As for sauces I would love to find a clone recipe of the Peter Lugers Steak House Sauce.

Back