Chat vs. Chat

I've noticed on numerous occasions that the list of people (member names towards the bottom of the forum) reportedly on chat at any given time doesn't match the number of people on chat given next to the menu item at the top of the forum. Like right now, the top menu indicates 3 people in chat, but when I scroll to the bottom, it says no members are active in chat. While it's not a huge deal, I do like knowing sometimes who is on there, especially if I haven't seen someone in a while and want to say hello, so thought I'd mention it. Note this is true regardless of which browser or OS I'm using - Mac, PC, IE, Firefox, Safari.....

Im pretty sure that the list of users at the bottom is updated every hour... so its not real time... just what was true the last time it updated.

Well, if that's true, then it's still "behind" - I've been on this site on and off all morning, and only the first time did it list anyone. At that, it only listed 2 of the 3.

Hi, alaskaseward. Right under the THP logo (upper-left corner of the website) is a horizontal menu. Chat is one of the menu items. When people are in Chat, a number will appear next to the menu item, representing the number of people currently in Chat. That number is usually real-time accurate.

If you get a chance, hop on in and say hello to whomever is in there - it's not an exclusive club! One thing to be aware of is that some people seem to have a phobia about being the first to enter Chat when no one else is in there. Don't let that bother you - jump on in, and usually within 10 or 20 minutes, others will start joining.

Okay - just a tad more weirdness earlier this evening. The menu said one person was in Chat. Looked at the list, and it said ajijoe was in there. I went in, and although I saw that he had entered maybe 5-6 minutes before I did, he was not listed in the right menu of members online. I posted a "hiya" (or something), then after that posted it said he left.

Are you refreshing your browser before you check? Basically if you open the page at 1:00pm and let the browser window sit there and not do anything for an hour and look at the bottom your still looking at data from 1:00pm until you refresh the page.

Thanks geeme. Will be updating the site soon so hopefully will take care of, but if not, it's just a quirk in the system.

Back