• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

My First Hot Sauce

Ingredients-
1 tbsp olive oil
½ cup vinegar
¼ cup yellow mustard
¼ cup brown sugar
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp pepper
3 Bhut Jolokia Peppers (chopped, no stem)
3 large carrots (chopped)
3 cloves garlic (minced)
½ large onion (chopped)

Instructions:
-Heat oil, vinegar, and mustard in saucepan on stovetop, medium heat.
-Stir until consistent
-Stir in brown sugar, salt, and pepper until consistent.
-add remaining ingredients and simmer on low-medium heat.
-Pour contents into blender and puree until consistent.

I had to add roughly a cup of water while pureeing it to get the consistency right (you may want to add more to make it less thick). I also added in various spices that I had lying around (cinnamon being the one that added to the taste the most).

Overall, I am very happy with the way it turned out, especially since its my first attempt at a home-made hot sauce. It has a very sweet taste at the beginning, the carrots and brown sugar really brought out the pepper's flavor. And then the burn kicks in. Its great as a way to flavor a dish, but if you add it to something that's already prepared it will overpower the flavor of everything else. I really liked it as the spice to a buffalo chicken dip. I can post the recipe to that also if anyone is interested. I welcome criticism, so if you've got any sustains/improves that you can think of then fire away.

sounds good. I would have left out the olive oil, but others I am sure would leave it. I have read that oil in a sauce helps for using on wings and such, but it is your creation. CONGRATS!

BTW we love
flash.gif
flash.gif
flash.gif
flash.gif

Did you leave the seeds in? If so I wonder how the after taste is? Sometimes the seeds could leave an unwanted after taste. However, that isn't the case with all sauces. Sometimes the flavor of seeds work with sauce. Not that I'm a pro. The great minds on this site would have more experience with that than I would.
Aaron

Looks like a tasty recipe,

Although I never use oil in a hot sauce to be bottled but I do use it in salsa's and chutneys and ...of course the homemade "Spagetti Sauce" Arrabbiata!

Wow , my computer is going ...

Anyways, as far as seeds , I always mill them out, after the first simmer, although when making a Piri Piri sauce, the seeds remain in

Their so small there's no crunch factor when eating them and no tooth picks needed.......Ha

Back