labels Labels

Well Im not going to retell my opportunity story for the third time so I am going to save you all from that. Long story short I have a lot of great opportunities next year. I also am working on some BBQ sauce recipes. The thing is that I want to improve on my labels. A couple years ago I designed my "Crazy Eight" label but the label paper I used ended up making it look kind of lame. Im also in the market for a new printer for my computer. I guess what I am asking is how can I print labels to my hearts content and not have to spend hundreds or thousands on a high end printer and stuff? As far as the printer goes this is what I am looking at. I am also considering getting a CIS kit for the printer like this one. So what do you all use for label printing (on a budget)? What recommendations do you have? Any advice?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Print at Office max for a buck a sheet. Usually ends up fitting around 6-8 labels so it is much cheaper than paying for the ink and stock. Also, their printers are like 50,000 dollar printers. The quality is way better than at home. JMHO. Get your labels sized on a a template. Use crop marks for each one and cut them out of the sticker stock they have. Ask them if they have any recommendations for labels that will last longer on a bottle. They are very helpful. If you are going bigger than this than you need to get your labels printed by a professional printer. They have package deals starting around 10,000 I would imagine.

WOW! Thanks for that. I will surely check into that as an option. But I figured since Im thinking of getting a new printer and doing the CIS add on that maybe I could also utilize it for labels since I will be using it to print photos.:) But I also want professional looking photos so maybe Office Max will be a good cheap way to go for that.

WOW! Thanks for that. I will surely check into that as an option. But I figured since Im thinking of getting a new printer and doing the CIS add on that maybe I could also utilize it for labels since I will be using it to print photos.:) But I also want professional looking photos so maybe Office Max will be a good cheap way to go for that.

Cool. You could also use Staples. There is no way to beat the color laser printer option with a home printer. It should be bleed proof. Plus they print WAY truer to the original design than any home unit. Good luck man!

I buy my label stock at Staples, take my PDF to FedEx Office and print. Bring your own stock and it is only 53 cents a sheet.

Just like last year, you want to go with a Laser Printer to help reduce blur/smear/running of the ink if it gets wet.

Best of luck

definitely +++ on Staples, Office Depot, etc.

I use the "no-brand name" locally owned print shop in our town of 1000 people. I can put the label on a flash drive (check with format compatability, you may have to convert the format to one the printer will read) and use pre-cut labels. You can buy the pre-cut sheet stock labels (6-up or 8-up) on a full sheet for ~$20.

Eventually, when the product is finalized and I'm done tweaking it, then I'll have my graphics person run a few thousand.

Unless I am looking in the wrong spot on the Office Max site, their labels look like its only for address sized labels and nothing bigger. I also didnt see anything for different sizes. I will check the staples site.

Looks like the biggest Staples does (online anyway) is a 3" x 4" which is a little to small for even my hot sauce label. I may need to go to Kinkos or something, or end up printing my own. May have to save for a laser printer. :(

It helps to go to their store not their site. Also review your other 2 posts from last year, you got LOTS of good info in them.

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/12745-sauce-label

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/17917-label-making

Kinko's is now owned by FedEx Office. 3"x4" is what I use. You should setup a template and try the different sizes printed on plain paper to see what they look like. Then go get the label stock for that size. Microsoft word has Avery Templates for when setting up labels and it is a long list of sizes.

Oh man I feel like an idiot. I completely forgot about those ones. Yes there was a lot of good info in those. Hopefully I will be able to do something with it all by next season. :)

Thank you

Buy a color laser printer, I have a really nice one, and it wasn't expensive. Coated labels, of course.

Just like last year, you want to go with a Laser Printer to help reduce blur/smear/running of the ink if it gets wet.
On traditional paper, yes. But for inkjet you can get waterproof inkjet labels, as in vinyl.

Photographs are printed with ink.

Vinyl label sheets manufactured for an inkjet printer are top-coated with a substance that locks in the ink much like photo paper.

So as far as color laser printers go, am I going to get pretty good results despite what specific on I buy? Obviously laser is the way to go. Are you boiling it down to...

1)Get a laser and if you do use coated labels
but if you don't then
2)Continue to use inkjet but be sure to use waterproof labels (vinyl)

Printers:
I'd look for a good price on a high-res color laser. They are much more affordable than they used to be. Lasers are for speed (much faster printing), precision (ink can leaves blotches or mistake areas), and economy (toner is cheaper than ink). I am talking about desktop inkjets of course, the ones where you get photos printed are 50K and up machines, and also have precision. But considering economy lines, a laser is ideal for labels.

Labels:
Check into different names and makes. Some say coated, some say waterproof, some say weatherproof, some say vinyl, others say polyester. These can all be the same or different! Just make sure if using laser it is water resistant (or proof), not for runs/smears, but for label wrinkling/tearing due to moisture. And for inkjet, make sure it locks the ink in, as well as has moisture protection.

Back