• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

What Books are You Reading Right Now?

Always looking for recommendations on new and/or interesting books.

For rock fans I'd highly recommend Neil Peart's 'Ghost Rider' - the Rush drummer writes about dealing with personal loss by escaping the public eye and touring around the USA on his BMW motorcycle.

I'm just finishing up 'The Grand Design' by Stephen Hawking (and a co-author whose name I forget) - this is a great book that really gets you thinking about the old question of the origin of life and offers some scientific perspective.

Enjoyed a re-read of Ayn Rand's 'The Fountainhead' and 'Atlas Shrugged' a couple months back. One of my favorite authors.

Still waiting to pickup the latest installment of Henning Mankell's 'Kurt Wallender' series.

Next up is David Mamet 'The Secret Knowledge' - he talks about the negative social impact of liberalism, an issue close to my heart! (I started this a few weeks ago then set it down for a while).

That's me.....what are you reading, any good recommendations to share??

Cheers

Rooze

PS - I hope this topic hasn't been covered already, if it has, consider this a 'bump'.

When I was in high school I read this MASSIVE series called "The Wheel of Time". Kinda cheesy, but it's a good story and the author was an excellent story teller. Anyway, I got like 11 books into the series (I'd guess 3k pages) and the author dies right before the big climax of the story. His estate got another author to finish up the story from the original author's notes, so I'm working my way through the series again.

Before this I read "Every Day is Saturday". It was my beach-read for the summer, and it's an autobiographical book with stories written by a long time charter boat captain at the island my wife and I fequent. I was expecting more of a book of just fishing stories, but he touched a lot on development for tourists in S. Florida. Good read!

Hmm....haven't heard of 'The Wheel of Time', I'll look it up. I do like books with some continuation or connection between each publication, as with the Kurt Wallender series, which is pretty good (most of the time).

Has anyone read 'Big Year' - Mark Obmascik? I hear there's a movie coming out based on the book. It's in my queue but not really sure what to make of the theme/subject (bird watchers).

Read Unintended Consequences by John Ross, if you can find the book. The book itself is hard to locate.

Good thread, don't have much to contribute as I haven't had too much time to read the past few months. Like history for non-fiction, last one I read was about Mongolia and was surprisingly interesting... Last year been wiling away the little spare time I have with mostly fiction... usually dystopian type crap. Whatevs tho- just a diversion.

Well with Halloween coming up I have been re-reading some classic HP Lovecraft to my kids. We are working our way through At The Mountains Of Madness currently.
On my own I'm reading Genesis Revisited by Zecharia Sitchin. If you've ever seen Ancient Aliens you get the idea there.

Well with Halloween coming up I have been re-reading some classic HP Lovecraft to my kids. We are working our way through At The Mountains Of Madness currently.
On my own I'm reading Genesis Revisited by Zecharia Sitchin. If you've ever seen Ancient Aliens you get the idea there.

Welcome Reverand! - I enjoy a good 'Alien' read every once in a while and I love those types of documentaries, and yep, I've seen the Ancient Aliens series. Heck I even watched some of the series with Jesse Ventura, "Conspiracy Theory", though I wouldn't ever admit to it publicly ! Let us know if the Sitchin is a good read and I may add the title to my amazon list....cheers!

Welcome Reverand! - I enjoy a good 'Alien' read every once in a while and I love those types of documentaries, and yep, I've seen the Ancient Aliens series. Heck I even watched some of the series with Jesse Ventura, "Conspiracy Theory", though I wouldn't ever admit to it publicly ! Let us know if the Sitchin is a good read and I may add the title to my amazon list....cheers!

I have read several of Sitchin's books in the past and they are always worth the time spent.
Whether you buy into the "aliens as gods" theory or not it's very interesting to read from his point of view.
Highly recommended indeed.

I just finished Without Remorse (Tom Clancy), about half way through Executive Orders now. (Same author)

When I was in high school I read this MASSIVE series called "The Wheel of Time". Kinda cheesy, but it's a good story and the author was an excellent story teller. Anyway, I got like 11 books into the series (I'd guess 3k pages) and the author dies right before the big climax of the story. His estate got another author to finish up the story from the original author's notes, so I'm working my way through the series again.

Before this I read "Every Day is Saturday". It was my beach-read for the summer, and it's an autobiographical book with stories written by a long time charter boat captain at the island my wife and I fequent. I was expecting more of a book of just fishing stories, but he touched a lot on development for tourists in S. Florida. Good read!

I have 13 of the books and am on my way thru them again myself. Just started book seven 2 days ago

I have 13 of the books and am on my way thru them again myself. Just started book seven 2 days ago

I figured some one on here had to have heard of them! There was a lot of stuff that I couldn't remember, so I found a really good WoT wiki online. I'm a fan, but those people are really into it! There is lots of good info though...

Blood Meridian – Cormac McCarthy. Epic tale of the Kid vs. Judge Holden set in the west circa mid-1800. Outlaws, Indians, banditos in the wild west. Just read it; you can thank me latter! (FYI – author also wrote “No Country for Old Men”).

The Road Home – Jim Harrison. This is his follow up to Dalva (1988) and takes place in rural Nebraska in the late 20th Century. Harrison is a magnificent story teller; both books are rich in character development and depiction of the scenery in northwest Nebraska. If you haven’t read Harrison before, you owe it to yourself to give him a read. I once had a beer with him 30 years ago at a small bar in Leelanau County, Michigan (he used to live there before moving to Arizona). Man was a force of nature! Those who live here in the northern latitudes might also be interested in his book “True North” that takes place in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and deals with the post lumbering era and subsequent fallout. Also “The English Major” is an interesting quick read about road trips and mid-life crisis.

I figured some one on here had to have heard of them! There was a lot of stuff that I couldn't remember, so I found a really good WoT wiki online. I'm a fan, but those people are really into it! There is lots of good info though...

I've been reading the Wheel of Time for ages too. I got given the first one to read when they were only up to book 4 or 5 and very soon I had read the whole series and was waiting on the next one. Many many years later I am still waiting on the last last last book. He sure took his time turning out the books. I've grown up a bit and I'm not into fantasy books anymore but I just have to finish this series off.

I've read some Sitchin books and many on those subjects. Just finished three books by Joseph P Farrell which strongly reference Sitchin and others. The subject matter is great but don't you hate it when a writer's style, or lack of, retard the material. It's like a school band playing Mozart badly - you can hear there is a masterpiece in there but it's being mangled :P

I've read some Sitchin books and many on those subjects. Just finished three books by Joseph P Farrell which strongly reference Sitchin and others. The subject matter is great but don't you hate it when a writer's style, or lack of, retard the material. It's like a school band playing Mozart badly - you can hear there is a masterpiece in there but it's being mangled :P

While Sitchin's style may not be the most profound I feel he has produced a product that can reach a wider audience- as the general public- not stupid, just not university level. I do enjoy his books don't get me wrong- they are a great introduction to other more in depth, subject specific books. As well Sitchin's theories are far from original but his books were my first introduction to these concepts, there are much better books on the subject itself. But as I say Sithin is more of a jumping off point for me- easy reading and gives me other things to research. All that being said I still highly recommend his books as a primer or as a refresher.
Don't think I've ever read any of Farrell's books but I do have a pdf of "The Philosopher's Stone: Alchemy and the Secret Research for Exotic Matter" kicking around, maybe I will have to get to that one next.

While Sitchin's style may not be the most profound I feel he has produced a product that can reach a wider audience- as the general public- not stupid, just not university level. I do enjoy his books don't get me wrong- they are a great introduction to other more in depth, subject specific books. As well Sitchin's theories are far from original but his books were my first introduction to these concepts, there are much better books on the subject itself. But as I say Sithin is more of a jumping off point for me- easy reading and gives me other things to research. All that being said I still highly recommend his books as a primer or as a refresher.
Don't think I've ever read any of Farrell's books but I do have a pdf of "The Philosopher's Stone: Alchemy and the Secret Research for Exotic Matter" kicking around, maybe I will have to get to that one next.

I agree with what you said but I read Sitchin ages ago and can't really recall his style. I was really talking about Farrell. It is also annoying when university and higher educated authors `decide` that they disagree with the material based on preconceptions and dogma and so it never gets a professionally throrough going over. It gets labelled psuedoscience because there is no comprehensive scientific investigation into it. This attitude doesn't advance either side.

Just read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. It wasn't terrible,just slow starting. Thanks for starting this thread. I have just started to read books again after probably a 15 year layoff. I forgot how refreshing it is.

book.jpg

poisoners.jpg

Back