• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Egg Roll Wraps for poppers?

So, have any of y'all tried using egg roll wraps instead of breading for poppers? A friend of mine told me I should try it, and I have egg roll wraps and plenty of peppers, so I was going to have a go.

I've never tried to make egg rolls, though, so I've never used the wraps before. I was kinda thinking I could just chop the peppers and mix them in the cheese and herbs instead of stuffing the pepper like you do in traditional poppers. Its going to be around 100F and muggy outside today, so it's a good day to play inside... LetUsAllPauseToPraiseCentralAC-

~**PRAISE CENTRAL AIR CONDITIONING**~

Anyway, I bought egg roll wrappers and won ton wrappers to play around with, and would be delighted if someone who has used these before has any hints or suggestions.

Pam...what peppers? Are you going for a White Lotus Kung Fu Master Asian kind of popper or...? Thinking about it myself, I might try chopped chicken or pork mixed with garlic and scallions either in the pepper or combined as you mention. I do believe it would go very well with a simple dipping sauce of soy and lemon. Tell us how it goes.

I was approaching this from the popper angle, so I was thinking cheesey goodness. I would choose the pepper according to the heat I wanted. I like your idea, though. I haven't started yet, but one of my concerns was the size of the finished product. I don't want something unwieldy or more wrap then filling.

See, I make poppers from peppers of all sizes, some of my poppers are small enough to pop in your mouth. The ones I make from Pimiento De Chiero peppers aren't much bigger than a jellybean.

Duh...me so stupid. I think what you are going for is what are known as a ragoon. I use the round wonton wrappers and take the mix and make a little ball and place in the center. a little water around the edge of the wrapper and fold over and then into the fryer, saute pan or pot of boiling water. I have also made them with the square wrappers as well and sometimes even making a little bundle, twisting twisting the top. Cheesey goodness.....can you ever have too much? I think not.

texas blues said:
Duh...me so stupid. I think what you are going for is what are known as a ragoon.

*googles*

Yes! That's more what I want!

Thanks for the correct vocabulary. Now I can find plenty of information and ideas. I'm already wondering about trying phyllo pastry...

I use the round wonton wrappers and take the mix and make a little ball and place in the center. a little water around the edge of the wrapper and fold over and then into the fryer, saute pan or pot of boiling water. I have also made them with the square wrappers as well and sometimes even making a little bundle, twisting twisting the top. Cheesey goodness.....can you ever have too much? I think not.

I think the wonton wrappers will be a better size, but I can always throw together some sort of peppery meat or vegetable mix and make a spicy egg roll.

Thanks again.

I seal them with a little egg wash rather than the water. they cook fast. sometimes i like a partially frozen filling so it just warms through while the wrapper cooks.

darthcarl said:
I seal them with a little egg wash rather than the water. they cook fast. sometimes i like a partially frozen filling so it just warms through while the wrapper cooks.

Ok, good to know. Do you ever freeze the pre-cooked but fully prepped wontons?

I suppose I could freeze a pepper mash the way bentalphanerd, I think, suggested and use that to make the filling during the winter.

Well, I didn't get as far as I wanted today, I was lured away to dinner and some shopping (it was a nursery selling out a bunch of their butterfly garden stock), so I'll get serious about this tomorrow.

Pam said:
Ok, good to know. Do you ever freeze the pre-cooked but fully prepped wontons?

I have frozen them with cheese fillings and for my secret chili rolls...which i guess aren't a secret anymore. I've used the wonton wrappers for anything that you might also bread and have had good luck. It looks fancy too and impresses those who are used to opening the microwave to eat.

Ok, I finally got around to trying it, and they really are good. I wrapped stuffed peppers in egg roll wrappers, chopped the peppers, onions, and basil into cream cheese and wrapped them in won ton wrappers, and both worked well. I'll take pictures next time.

They are very tasty especially in "puffs" but hard to work with do not crease or let dry out or be in a hurry .....
Im getting ticked off just thinking about them ..... I made Asiago cheese puffs with them very good but man I almost threw them the baking sheet and the oven in the street making them.....so I skip those recipes

My thought was perhaps to use some of the small peppers, like a Piemento Di Chiero or Hinkle Hotz, and just roll them and a bit of stuffing in one sheet of the phyllo dough. I'm not sure if it will work, but I figure it can't hurt to try.

Good luck if you are rolling it you can probably get away with cutting the phyllo into quarters other wise I would think it would be to "puffy"

or mix them together and make a beggars purse :lol:

Hey Pam

Another idea would be (have you ever had a Crab Ragoon?) Use the wrap they use to make Crab Ragoons. And make the filling with chopped peppers and cream cheese.

Dyce51 said:
Hey Pam

Another idea would be (have you ever had a Crab Ragoon?) Use the wrap they use to make Crab Ragoons. And make the filling with chopped peppers and cream cheese.

Yeah, Texas Blues suggested that, and that gave something proper to google on, and I was able to find a bunch of directions and recipes. I've been really tempted to try more recipes, but if I eat that much deep fried food I might as well put a cork in my arteries and be done with it.

Mexican Egg Rolls

Mexicaneggroll3963.jpg

I diced tomatoes, cilantro, onions, and Hatch peppers, added some cheese, and spooned it over about a tablespoon of refried beans with cumin. Then I rolled it into the egg roll wrapper.

Back