• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

The curled leaves thing.....again

About 6 weeks ago i bought an Orange Hab from bunnings. A few of the leaves on top were a little curly. I potted it up to a much larger pot that afternoon, made sure the roots were untangled & used a Tomato potting mix (includes blood & bone)

At the same time I lopped the top off, to get rid of the dodgy leaves. The side branches took over & it grew really well - until about 10 days ago when this started again. Now its got buds all over it so I'm hoping not to have to cut it back again.

I've tried more water / less water - it's in full sun (has always been)& no sign of bugs or aphids.

Any ideas?

13102011116.jpg

By bentalphanerd at 2011-10-12

13102011118.jpg

By bentalphanerd at 2011-10-12

It's only an orange hab so I'm willing to experiment

i have the same thing going on with almost all my plants, and i cannot figure out if its too much ferts, next watering they are all getting a big ol flush to see if that helps!

Maaate, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you got broad mites. :(

My advice? Drop a Rogor bomb on the thing and any plants growing around it and throw it the hell out! With any luck, the evil things came in on it (as opposed to already being in your environment) and haven't had a chance to really spread yet—at least I hope for your sake!

Don't underestimate broad mites—they are pure evil!

And whatever you do, keep it away from your Doogies! :eek:

Maaate, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you got broad mites. :(

My advice? Drop a Rogor bomb on the thing and any plants growing around it and throw it the hell out! With any luck, the evil things came in on it (as opposed to already being in your environment) and haven't had a chance to really spread yet—at least I hope for your sake!

Don't underestimate broad mites—they are pure evil!

And whatever you do, keep it away from your Doogies! :eek:

Thanks - Having a read up & they're saying a miticide will help. Will see whats available at Bunnings

What about AzaMax? That's what I'm using right now but still too early to see any results yet. Sure hope this stuff is as good as people say!

Well I've isolated the plant - trimmed off the dodgy leaves (& buds *sob*) gave it a coating of miticide, neem & a powder i found for leaf-curl.

Will keep you posted, please, anyone else with similar probs keep us updated on your trial methods.

What miticide did you use, Bent? Some—especially the natural ones (e.g. neem, eco-oil, etc) and the "safer" ones (e.g. Mavrik)—are ineffective against broad mites. Don't get me wrong, I've had great success using the natural and "safer" options against pests like aphids and even spider mites—but broad mites, they are something totally different. These little bastages have an immunity like you wouldn't believe. :(

The trouble with broad mites is they are extremely toxic. A very small number will still cause A LOT of damage. And the fact that they are invisible to the naked eye doesn't help one bit either. Inspecting your plants for them, even with the aide of a magnifying device, is all but impossible. By the time you see the signs (curled leaves) they have already injected their toxin and the damage is done. Usually by this stage they have also already moved on and sit feeding on another plant undetected until the curling starts....

Be vigilant, my friend, and at the first sign of their presence, go absolutely nuts on 'em! :hell:

I've mixed up a batch of neem, Natrasoap with Potassium salts of fatty acids (a miticide) & Cupric Hydroxide (a fungicide).....can you tell i'm just reading off the labels LOL. Have also removed all the leaves & branches that showed any sign of damage so any sign of damage from here on will mean I haven't succeeded. Hoping to see signs of new growth in a week

very interesting musky - its a shame the "specific chemical control recommendations" link goes nowhere. I cant see me dunking the whole plant in hot water but maybe a blow-dryer would work

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem. It was weird for me bc I have never seen a plant look like yours and some of mine. I've grown peppers for 4 years now. Always healthy. Only battles I've had have been with aphids. I don't even know if these F**ers live in this state. Anyway. 1st year having them.. First year I bought plants from CA.. I don't think it's coincidental that it's my first year with a problem. And they are ONLY on the CA plants.

I tried Sulfur treatments.. No results.
It's about the end of the year here so I'm done trying.. If it ever happens again (I doubt it will) all plants from seed next year. I'll try mitisides.
Good Luck.
Brandon

Have also removed all the leaves & branches that showed any sign of damage so any sign of damage from here on will mean I haven't succeeded. Hoping to see signs of new growth in a week
Yeah, it's not a bad thing to do especially as it helps stop the toxin from spreading and destroying the rest of the plant. It sucks so hard though when you just want the plant to GROW! :lol:

Just last week I had to cut a plant back to almost nothing because of severe damage. I was so shitted! It was an overwinter—that I had pruned back at the start pf winter—and it was really exploding back into growth. I mean, in a couple weeks this thing would have been a monster! :(

Has anyone ever heard of submerging a whole plant in hot water to kill broad mites? It sounds a little wacky to me :crazy: but who knows...

My link
I've heard of that but have yet to try it. It's actually probably one of the only things I haven't tried! :lol:

well it look like i am going to purchase some gnarly stuff to try(not sure what, but stopping by hydro shop on my way home) then clipping the effected branches and spraying the rest of the plants on my balcony, then again in 5 days, if that dont work i will be trying the submersion trick to see it that works! man i was really hoping that it was not these bastards as i lost all my plants to Spider mites last year!

Have also removed all the leaves & branches that showed any sign of damage so any sign of damage from here on will mean I haven't succeeded.
Oh yeah, that's the other thing... not necessarily. The toxin they inject spreads and hangs around in the plant for a bit so the damage might continue even when you get the buggers. Most of the time after pruning back their initial damage, I still find the new growth to be at least a little bit distorted. :(

I tell ya, absolutely everything about these things is frustrating as hell!

they are an ugly piece of work....but i'll find a way to nuke them. Of course after spraying last night it rained & looked like raining again today so i didn't re-apply. Already preparing a plan B. Will keep you posted.

Back