• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Wild Hogs Jerk

This photo was taken by the game camera of one of my co-workers yesterday morning, near Bayou Pierre, in the Red River Valley. The jerk pork ribs made from these hogs and my own Scotch Bonnets are one of the great pleasures of living in the South:

Hogs 14Oct2011.jpg

If you like Jamaican Jerk, be sure to grow your own French Thyme, and use plenty of it in the jerk rub. The contribution to the flavor profile made by this wonderful fresh herb cannot be overemphasized!

Hogs 14Oct2011.jpg

[/quote]

Wow Gary that is a mess of hogs. I could only imagine how tasty those ribs you make out of em are :hell: And it looks like you ain't gonna run out of livestock anytime soon :lol:

Thanks for looking guys! The ribs taste really good, not gamey at all, as you might expect.

Jamie, it works out real well because my co-workers hate to work in the chile garden, but they love to hunt. I don't like to hunt, but I love to eat me some ribs!

Yeah Edgie, this little piggy said "wee wee wee" all the way to my smokin' grill!

Queequeg, I think that's right, because the guys bring these hogs in all through the year. They only put up the game cameras during deer season, however.

Ohhh, I woujld love to be in a blind near that camera. I've been trying to talk some deer hunting buddies into a roat trip to Texas to do some hog hunting for a while now. I know in most states they're a nuisance animal and as such can be hunted year round.

I like to hunt, eat good BBQ and grow chilies! Is your jerk seasoning recipe posted anywhere? :drooling:

Hey Chef! Thanks! My friends in Texas tell me they've got plenty of hogs, too.

I just use Dave DeWitt's jerk recipe; it tastes awesome to me. Here's a scan of it from his book, The Chile Pepper Encyclopedia. I've included a second page, which describes in detail his method of "smoke-grilling" pork ribs. The texture of the meat is essential to the dish, and his method does a very nice job of giving you that tender-and-juicy-on-the-inside-crunchy-and-savory-on-the-outside character:

Dave DeWitt's Jerk Recipe

Hey Chef! Thanks! My friends in Texas tell me they've got plenty of hogs, too.

I just use Dave DeWitt's jerk recipe; it tastes awesome to me. Here's a scan of it from his book, The Chile Pepper Encyclopedia. I've included a second page, which describes in detail his method of "smoke-grilling" pork ribs. The texture of the meat is essential to the dish, and his method does a very nice job of giving you that tender-and-juicy-on-the-inside-crunchy-and-savory-on-the-outside character:

Dave DeWitt's Jerk Recipe

That does look like a nice recipe, thanks!

I think I speak for all of us when I say we are looking forward to the finished dish pics of the jerk hog!

I got ta get busy. Jerk pix as soon as the guys bring a hog in. :cool:

Still no hog meat for me—all I get are these damn pictures! Maybe if I withhold chiles they will bring me some pork. The little baby oinkers are supposed to be extra tasty. This is near Bayou Pierre:

PICT0001.jpg

PICT0002.jpg

PICT0003.jpg

PICT0004.jpg

PICT0005.jpg

PICT0006.jpg

You're killing me. My gear is still loaded, muzzleloader deer season is over for me tomorrow... Pork I could hunt year round? The area food banks and all my friends freezers would be full. I'd have to build a giant trailer rig smoker...

Don't suppose those are on public land and your buddies would share where they after deer season? :lol:

I know, it's a damn shame, right? It's killing me too, HC! I'm relying on my co-workers for fresh hog meat, and all I'm getting bupkis except for these photos—They seem to be more focused on getting that big "wall-hanger" buck than actual tasty swine flesh...I can't complain, because I don't even own a rifle or a single piece of camouflage clothing :lol:

The spot where this photo was taken is on a hunting club lease, but the hogs range up and down the length of the bayou, where the feeding is best. I'm told there is some public land to the north of here, on the bayou...

Id take the sow on the far right of the 1st most recent picture.

Or I guess you could wait till two line up and take out 2 with one stone.

I know, it's a damn shame, right? It's killing me too, HC! I'm relying on my co-workers for fresh hog meat, and all I'm getting bupkis except for these photos—They seem to be more focused on getting that big "wall-hanger" buck than actual tasty swine flesh...I can't complain, because I don't even own a rifle or a single piece of camouflage clothing :lol:

The spot where this photo was taken is on a hunting club lease, but the hogs range up and down the length of the bayou, where the feeding is best. I'm told there is some public land to the north of here, on the bayou...

I don't get the wall hanger thing. I've always deer hunted on farms where the idea is to thin the herd to minimise crop damage. If it's brown, it's down is the usual mantra. The older bucks don't taste as good anyway, since they hang out in the cedar swamps and the young stupid ones are in the fields eating corn and alfalfa. An old Polish farmer I hunt with is always saying to shoot him the button bucks for the best eating deer.

I'd go out with a semi-auto and see how many I could take if a group like that came in. Probably need to have a four wheeler handy to haul them out though.

Id take the sow on the far right of the 1st most recent picture.

Or I guess you could wait till two line up and take out 2 with one stone.

I think what my guys normally do is trap them with some kind of big net, then they just "euthanize" the lot of them. Otherwise, if you "bust a cap" on just one of them, the rest of the herd runs off and does not return for several days.

I don't get the wall hanger thing. I've always deer hunted on farms where the idea is to thin the herd to minimise crop damage. If it's brown, it's down is the usual mantra. The older bucks don't taste as good anyway, since they hang out in the cedar swamps and the young stupid ones are in the fields eating corn and alfalfa. An old Polish farmer I hunt with is always saying to shoot him the button bucks for the best eating deer.

I'd go out with a semi-auto and see how many I could take if a group like that came in. Probably need to have a four wheeler handy to haul them out though.

Thank you! Trophies seem silly to me...It must be an ego thing. Anyway, to each his own, eh?

Those corn-fed buttons are probably the tastiest ones, I would think, and, as you say, you are doing the gene pool a Darwinian favor!

Whenever I look at these photos I imagine one of those big corrals like the plains Indians would herd the buffalo into, and then just harvest however many they needed....

Back