• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

thai suggestions?

we're going to eat at a thai restaurant this wednesday, and i must admit, i've only had thai food once, and i have no clue what i ordered since it was a few years ago. also i wasn't eating meat at the time. :lol:

so i was hoping the group here could help point me in the direction of some of their tastier meals? only stipulation is that i don't eat seafood...shrimp i can do, but not into fish, and other seafood. (i know they use fish sauce in preparation of a lot of meals..but that is fine..i just don't enjoy eating chunks of fish.)

obviously i'd like a spicier dish, but this place says they will cook any meal to your taste as far as heat goes, so that shouldn't be a problem.

any favorites you have? i don't know what any of the meals are like really..they have brief descriptions but i'd see what you all thought were some of the better dishes.

thanks.

Tom Yam Gung...its a soup with shrimp,champinions,garlic,lemongras,ginger and thaipeppers.
As maindish,hmm....I love it all.Try a kind of curry with fried noodels.

I eat a lot of Thai, but every restaurant I go to has a different menu. Definitely get a curry. They make red, green, and yellow. The names may be a little different in each place, but I go for the spicy red curries with chicken and good veggies like bamboo shoots, eggplant, red peppers, chilies...

Oh wait! The best is the fried whole red snapper with chili sauce! And gai rad preeg (a chicken dish with garlic, chilies, and tamarind sauce) is also a favorite. Just ate it! You made me hungry. I added some Jersey Death :lol:

BBQ-Phil said:
Tom Yam Gung...its a soup with shrimp,champinions,garlic,lemongras,ginger and thaipeppers.
As maindish,hmm....I love it all.Try a kind of curry with fried noodels.

I love thai soups...try the Pho also

well i just got back from the thai place a little bit ago. i went with the garlic and black pepper beef w/ mixed vegetables. ordered it "thai hot" as opposed to just regular hot. it was really good! i don't know why i didn't care for the thai food i had once before..perhaps it was a bad place..

the food tasted great..the heat was good, cleared out my sinuses, but i think they could still kick it up a notch or two.

someone recommended i not request it as hot as they could make it since they'd consider it a challenge and i might wind up with a meal that i couldn't eat.. might not be a bad idea, but next time i guess i'll just ask for it extra thai hot. :)

panang curry is a must - go for the chicken
the little fish cakes are awesome
if you like satay go the pra ram beef
and as BBQ-Phil says, Thai soups are spectacular

in fact, it's all good! Thai food is so fresh and colourful and their use of spices and fragrances is a heady mix and they can make their dishes extremely hot if you like.

Back