• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Ethnic food

Before moving to USA from Europe I was fortunate to travel a lot throughout most of Europe, Western Asia and Northern Africa. I loved to walk down to streets of the cities I have visited , sampling some good munchies comparing them to a food my mother made for me at home.:)

So, I decided to start this topic that members could post pictures of theirs favorite ethnic dishes they like to eat.

Today I made Bourekah with homemade Phylo dough , hamburger meat, potatoes,onions and some good spices.

Here how it started

DSC02467.jpg

DSC02465.jpg

DSC02468.jpg

DSC02471.jpg

DSC02472.jpg

More pics to come :)

Edit:Just adding 2 more pics of finished food. :) My favorite is on the top...one and the only one with potatoes and Billy Biker's jalapeno.And it is a time for me to dig in
91.gif

DSC02476.jpg

DSC02475.jpg

Looks wonderful Ela, I'd love to have a peepsee at your Phylo dough recipe if it isn't one of those family secret recipes. Never had much success with phylo dough....

Looks wonderful Ela, I'd love to have a peepsee at your Phylo dough recipe if it isn't one of those family secret recipes. Never had much success with phylo dough....

Thanks,rooze. There is no family secret recipe.:) It is all in thechnique and it takes some time to learn how to work with this type of dough. Any time you need help with it or have any questions I'm only PM away. :) First time I made these I had more flour on me and floor than on work area.
bb4.gif

Oh My *&%&^$@!*&^(%^@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You are so hardcore!
I know what I'll be WISHING I was eating tonight!
To me, that's truly amazing Ela...

I'll post here in the future.
If I make it to Texas and come home to make Queso-cheese-somethin-or-other, does that count? (nod to texas blues) LOL

OMG this looks great!!

I know what I'll be eating tonight!!

I have some left overs ready for ya
bb4.gif

Oh My *&%&^$@!*&^(%^@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You are so hardcore!
I know what I'll be WISHING I was eating tonight!
To me, that's truly amazing Ela...

I'll post here in the future.
If I make it to Texas and come home to make Queso-cheese-somethin-or-other, does that count? (nod to texas blues) LOL

Thanks,Scov....now Im blushing here
bc9.gif
And YES you could just cross the border and visit one of the Chinese restaurants in,maybe Vancouver, have something interesting there, than make it at home and post it here. Just think about it that we are here to learn about different food ingredients, techniques, flavors, meat cuts, herbs etc. so lets have a fun sharing our World cooking knowledge on this Forum. :)

I should have posted my Pho here. Damn, wish I had read this earlier. Well, anyway since its on topic, here's a pic and the link. http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/25666-def-konichi-pho/page__pid__515938#entry515938

100_9728.jpg

Oh yeah, and Ela, great looking Bourekah and an awesome thread idea!

Thanks JayT. Before moving to USA I was familiar to European and Middle East cuisine but not so much to Asian , Caribbean, Cajun etc. I must say that new culinary adventures helped me out to experiment with different flavors adding some new twist to my love for cooking.

Thanks, Omri :) I'm pretty sure that there is another version of this dish in your neck of the woods.

Seth, before you get adopted by YET ANOTHER family, check out her 'GUNS' post.
She'll spank all our asses from wherever she lives with a bi-pod. GARRRONTEED!
Sweet Ela...... BANG! er.. KPOW! er... BAM!

nice bread ela....

HMMM, Emphasis on the MMMMMMMM part!
I don't know if I should look at stuff like this when I'm out in the middle of the deep blue sea.... it flat out causes spasms of a jealous mouth and stomach!
The way I see it- First course TB's Queso concoction with the obligatory Shiner Boch, washed down with Jay's Pho, then a full on frontal assault with Ela's
Phyllo food Bombs...and of course more Shiner!

Good idea for a thread! It was a "verbal" recipe for jerked pork(which I readily admit to covertly recording on a nearby paper towel ;)!) brought back from Jamaica with a few smuggled Scotch Bonnets, that started my neverending pang for all things hot and spicy.

I wanted to scarf down my screen...REALLY!
Yes, I will post a few retorts here when I'm back on some dirt....
cheers all-
DJ

Ela, your posts are an inspirations for someone I know to make some fresh bread, which I was privileged to take home a piece of, and it was DELICIOUS.... so THANK YOU for the inspirations to someone else so we could enjoy some fresh bread based on your baking posts.

how wacky is THAT? What a crazy world-wide-web-

Back