• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Aji Lemon Jelly

I've been meaning to put this up for a bit. I've made two batches of this using what burpee sold as "Hot Lemon Peppers," I think they are also Lemon Drop peppers. Anyway, the heat carries through nicely. This is just a tweak off a hot pepper jelly recipe found in the Ball Blue Book on canning.

Aji Lemon Jelly

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 lb. Hot Lemon peppers stems and seeds removed
  • 2 pouches of liquid pectin (I used Certo)
  • 2 cups of Lemon juice, divided
  • yellow food coloring (optional)
  • 6 cups of sugar
Instructions:
  • puree peppers and one cup of the lemon juice in a food processor.
  • Combine the puree, the remaining cup of lemon juice and the sugar in a large saucepot (make it big enough to avoid boiling over).
  • Bring to a boil. Boil 10 minutes stirring constantly.
  • Add liquid pectin
  • Bring back to a boil and boil 1 minute, stirring constantly
  • Remove from heat. Add a few drops of food coloring.
  • Ladle into hot jars
  • Process 10 minutes in boiling water bath
Here's a shot of processing the aji lemon peppers:

chopping.jpg

Here is the lemon pepper, lemon juice, sugar cooking before pectin was added:

lemoncooking.jpg

And the finished product on the right:

jelly.jpg

And if you liked this recipe, check out my Peach Habanero jelly, Hot Cherry-Currant jelly, or Black Scorpion jelly!

Thanks for sharing!

The past three year's I've made Cranberry Jalapeno Jelly, which uses cranberry juice and jalapenos, plus a couple of batches with serranos. This year I made Habanero Gold, which uses dried apricots and habaneros. Your Lemon Drop Jelly sounds like a nice addition to my pepper jelly repertoire. Would you describe the heat level as medium or hot, assuming you were dealing with non-chileheads?

highalt - that habanero apricot jelly sounds wonderful! I've not had a habanero jelly, but the lemon drop jelly holds its heat better than a jalapeno jelly does, so it's definitely hot compared to that. The heat doesn't seem to be cut as much by the sugar, so it's spicy to a non-chilehead. I'm sure there is much hotter though - I'm just going by other jellies I've tasted which were just varied jalapeno jellies.

Actually Hendrix1326 did a nice review of it online:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUzStrQI-rw&feature=plcp&context=C3671a58UDOEgsToPDskIW1ON3RPFF976FVb-ENLJA

Have you posted the hab-apricot jelly recipe? I'd love to see it.

Bump! I am in the process as we speak, of taking this recipe, halving the amounts, and using the Biquinho Iracema peppers. It was a pain deseeding peppers that are generally less than an inch long, but I did it. That being said, there are still a lot of seeds, but I bet I pulled over 3000 seeds from the peppers I used, and it is smelling awesome! I also didn't have lemon juice, so I used lime juice instead, and it actually blends well with the Biquinhos, which are so intensely flavorful that I can't even taste the lime juice! Can't wait to try out the final product soon! Thanks again, Andy, for a great recipe!

Quick question, though, Andy:

Do you have the jar lids on while the bath is going on?

Bump! I am in the process as we speak, of taking this recipe, halving the amounts, and using the Biquinho Iracema peppers. It was a pain deseeding peppers that are generally less than an inch long, but I did it. That being said, there are still a lot of seeds, but I bet I pulled over 3000 seeds from the peppers I used, and it is smelling awesome! I also didn't have lemon juice, so I used lime juice instead, and it actually blends well with the Biquinhos, which are so intensely flavorful that I can't even taste the lime juice! Can't wait to try out the final product soon! Thanks again, Andy, for a great recipe!

Quick question, though, Andy:

Do you have the jar lids on while the bath is going on?

I bet lime juice would work very well, an interesting twist on the flavor. Yep, put the lids and rings on for the water bath. Also, make sure you put the jelly in the jars while it's hot, then water bath them right away. The goal with a water bath is to have an internal temp of 140 and kill the bacteria.

I hope it went well!

YUMMMMMMMMMY!

TY for sharing this!!!!!!

Glad to do it. Just had some more of this today. It's always worth the work I put into it. It might be my favorite thing I do with the peppers.

I bet lime juice would work very well, an interesting twist on the flavor. Yep, put the lids and rings on for the water bath. Also, make sure you put the jelly in the jars while it's hot, then water bath them right away. The goal with a water bath is to have an internal temp of 140 and kill the bacteria.

I hope it went well!

Yes, it went well indeed! After it set, I cracked open the not-quite-full jar and had some. It is delicious, and no heat! The Biquinho flavor comes through big time, with lime accenting very subtly and finishing with a combination of the two flavors that leaves a pina colada-type aftertaste, it's really delicious.

I actually just concluded making another batch, this time with Red Aribibi Gusanos, and they're HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT! I think they're right up there with the Peach Habalokia I tried a few months back, which I pegged for 500,000 or so Scovilles. The jelly hasn't set yet, but should be good to go in the morning. I tried to lick up the remainder on the ladel, and got a little stomach cramping from just a smidge, so this may be a jam that lasts quite a while! It was so good, though, that I will bear the intense heat, and hopefully I can share it, too!

Saw this post back in the beginning of February and it made me plant a couple Lemon Drop plants instead of waiting for next season -- The plant is finally blooming and has the first pod starting so hopefully within a month or so I'll be giving this a try !!

HopsNBarley said:
I love pepper jelly as well as the yellow peppers!
That looks great Roper!
ditto my friend wife makes a few fabulous ones that i and my enjoy every year

nice work Andy!!

thanks your friend joe

Just made some, but used lime juice instead of lemon, and added the zest of the limes and one teaspoon of salt
Used couple drops green food colouring stead of yellow

Mine came out really hot.  I gave one to my sister.  The jellies that I make really hot she likes to mix in cream cheese.
I made a carolina reaper jelly out of pods that were wrong phenotype. I didn't like it, but she said it was really good
in cream cheese..

Back