• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

indoor Question about growing Bhut Jolokias indoors.

You would need GOOD lights. Not just grow bulbs from WAL Mart. You can grow better peppers indoors than out if you have really good lights and a hydroponic system. In soil, lights are even more crucial.

I wouldn't say you can grow better peppers indoors, but you can control the environment. You're best to start your plants indoors early and bring them outside in the spring/summer. If you want big indoor crops, you need plently of good lighting whether soil or soiless.

I have four Jolokias that I sowed recently, the largest is about four inches tall. With a killing frost not uncommon in mid- to late-October, I have to find a way to grow them inside. I've read that narrow spectrum fluorescent lights are the best (they are supposed to produce more red and blue light) to use but do not have any experience with these. Has anyone tried this type of light?

I dude ! I got a lot of experience in growing plant indoor not only pepper LOL ....the best kind of lamp accodring to me are the Hight compact fluorescent (HCFL) like envirolite or MG (125 to 300w)...those kind of lamp dont make a lot of heat so it really simple to start with ....not like HPS ou Metal halide ....and for the sperctrum you might take a blue spectrum (6400k)until the fruit appear .... once you'll get small pod use a lamp with a red spectrum (2700k) and you'll get big hot pod :lol:

Hey again Yoda!(Q) Do you recommend using any sort of reflector? I have heard that when using only flourescents it is crucial to use white reflective surfaces to direct all light onto the plants, especially with sun loving plants like peppers.

the reflector depen directly of your set up ....I'll show you what i meen ....i'll have a good link to explain how the reflector will reflect your light ....it's hard to explain ...let me find the link LOL

Hi cheesydemon ...i did find the link but damn (it was a french link anyway) but i'll try to do my best to explain you ....1st there is different type of reflector, parabolic one and square one . the parabolic is very good for small grow room cause all the lumens are concentrat in a small area (so you'll got more lumen from your mg but on a smaller area and a better light penetration), and with the square one you'll get less lumens on a bigger area ...and of course there is a way to calculate the light you need with the reflector you need with the area of your growroom ....it aslo important to use black and white or mylard on the wall of your growroom if you want more from your light

Check these out. No pods yet, though. But, they're coming, I can feel it!
flower005.jpg

cheezydemon said:
Hey again Yoda!(Q) Do you recommend using any sort of reflector? I have heard that when using only flourescents it is crucial to use white reflective surfaces to direct all light onto the plants, especially with sun loving plants like peppers.

It all depends what color spectrum you give, and how much of it. Reflectors are good way of directing wasted light to the grow area. Never say never. I have read many posts on other boards, and seen in done many times.

I have seen many guys in the UK grow peppers with a completely controlled indoor environment, with greater success then outside sometimes. Remember your not dealing with all the elements that comes with the outdoors.

QuebecFire said:
I dude ! I got a lot of experience in growing plant indoor not only pepper LOL ....the best kind of lamp accodring to me are the Hight compact fluorescent (HCFL) like envirolite or MG (125 to 300w)...those kind of lamp dont make a lot of heat so it really simple to start with ....not like HPS ou Metal halide ....and for the sperctrum you might take a blue spectrum (6400k)until the fruit appear .... once you'll get small pod use a lamp with a red spectrum (2700k) and you'll get big hot pod :hell:

I agree. My plants are doing very well in about that color spectrum.. I will add more lights as my plants get bigger, don’t want to overpower them all at once..

so far so good with my indoor peppers, check em out..
http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?p=37517#post37517

ryanmark said:
Check these out. No pods yet, though. But, they're coming, I can feel it!
flower005.jpg

Very nice job, those are very bushy, looks like they are doing really well under those fluorescents.
My plants under lights are doing better then the ones in southern window.

I try to imtate the sun's spectrum as closely as possible with chiles and run equal wattage MH (blue) and HPS (red) all the time.

You can do the same with warm white and cool white fluorescent lamps. Don't fall for the expensive "grow-light" jive.

willard3 said:
I try to imtate the sun's spectrum as closely as possible with chiles and run equal wattage MH (blue) and HPS (red) all the time.

Interesting. I will give this a try. Red doesn’t seem to be a hard color to find in the average fluorescent.

I have found if you only use red it makes the plant grow more stems then leafs (making the plant to tall).

Back