• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Disappointment

I have a question for anyone who can answer. I recently picked some peppers form my plants that I had been growing since early March this year, due to a number of things identification is iffy, however the seeds planted were devils tongue and naga morich. They were transplanted outside with some serrano, hot hungarian, jalapenos and cayenne and then just recently replanted in pots to bring inside. Once inside the peppers on the naga morich and devils tongue ripened. I brought them in to work today as some coworkers wanted to give them a try... No heat whatsoever. The serranos are hot and I already had 3 small harvests off the plant. The jalapenos were hot and so were the hungarians. These others have no heat at all. My wife bought them from ebay from someone who is still selling but there is no heat in the peppers at all. They also have no seeds. Could these have been a hybrid from something that took away their heat or is it from my soil or the climate I am in? What would normally cause peppers to have no heat?

These are the peppers.

PA210340.jpg

Help please, I need to know if it is worth it to overwinter them or just scrap them and start with new seeds from a good dealer.

man that sucks! but what i can say is that none of the pods in the picture are devils tongues either. here is a pic of a pod off my DEvils tongue plant.
IMG_2845.jpg

was not completely ripe but had nice subtle sweet flavor and was nice and spicy!

Eric

the top two the red and yellow ones look like Trinidad seasoning, and no heat well they may very well be

the ones on the bottom could be a few species? Serrano, Indian pc-1 for instance

i wish more people would know about these dishonest people on eBay and the like before they buy, this happens so much its pathetic

i get upset everytime i see this :( however if your looking for Nagas or devils tongue many other as well as i on here have them and you can trust us :cool:

you live and learn

thanks your friend joe

The bottom ones are Serranos, i bought it as a seedling from a plant vendor at Rice's flea market in Phila in May this year. My wife is as disappointed as I am as she bought them for me as a surprise. She thinks the seller is still on ebay and if he is she plans on writing him a nasty email. If you know women from Philadelphia you would understand :-) I still have a number of plants left from the grow so I am going to try them to see if maybe the seeds got mixed up and I have some hot ones. Other than that, I will pull the non hots and use the pots for the grow challenge :-) Thanks guys.

sean

My wife bought them from ebay from someone who is still selling but there is no heat in the peppers at all.
Help please, I need to know if it is worth it to overwinter them or just scrap them and start with new seeds from a good dealer.

The lesson to be learned here is NOT to buy chile seeds on EBay.
Start over next spring with seeds from a reputable chile seed purveyor.

EBay chile seed purveyors count on conning the uninitiated.

I despise the thief's on Ebay that take advantage of people who don't know peppers. DESPISE! Can your wife leave feedback for the seller? Can she tell us the sellers name? I'd like to send him an email myself. If you need seeds to grow plants next spring send me a PM and I'll hook you up.

I despise the thief's on Ebay that take advantage of people who don't know peppers. DESPISE!

I hate the guys on ebay as well, but sad to say if people took the time and did some research and stop buying from them they wouldn't exist. The only reason they sell on ebay is because there is a market and people keep buying.

LGHT I'm not sure you're right on the research bit. Say I'm a new grower and I see a guy selling seeds. He's saying the right things, shows me the right pictures and talks the talk how would I know he's conning me? All of his feedback say he's a great guy and knows his stuff. How do you tell?

The guy is still selling on ebay. She bought devils tongue, choco hab, and the naga from him and I bought some beef jerky. Unfortunately you can't leav feedback after a certain amount of time and since I took so long trying to get the peppers to grow, that time has long since expired. His ebay name is pepperhouse66. I don't know if it was just a mix up in seeds or if there is something else going on but e had a good rep on the site and a number of good reviews. My wife and I both use ebay a fair amount and have rarely been bitten, we do try and research the sellers and see how long they have been working. As for seed, spongey600 has offered to send me some devils tongue so I can try again with real ones :-) I will try and see if the chocolate habs will grow and actually be real hehe. Thanks for all the help guys.

sean

Ebay needs to extend the time you can do reviews on seeds. Might change a few ratings on folks.

I checked into contacting Ebay and suggesting they extend their review time for seeds. You go through Customer service and you end up getting a phone number to call and a PIN. So I made the call and actually talked with a human being! I suggested they extend review periods on seeds to 180 days. Real easy to do. Maybe if a few of us made the call we could get their policy amended.

I still don't know if it was actually a scam or maybe it was a mix up. It only cost about $10 for the seeds they sent and they were bagged with printed labels and a printout of how to grow and take care of them (minus hardening off info hehe)They are still selling on ebay now and we bought the seeds about a year and a half ago. I am going to send them an email just to see if they will respond.

Pic 1, I didnt know this place existed at the time. :-)

Well surprisingly enough, I received an email from the person I got the seeds from, they asked me to send a picture of the peppers and seemed very concerned about what could have happened. You never know, he might be sincere.

I sent him the picture of the peppers and he has offered to send me three dried peppers from which I can taste for myself and extract the seeds and grow them so I will be sure to have hot peppers. Im going to take him up on the offer, it's really cool of him to do that. He is going to send me a ghost pepper, naga morich and devils tongue. Can't wait to get them.

Sounds like he made an honest mistake and it's nice of him to try and correct it. It's possible he got a bad batch of seeds from his supplier. I bought 16 Bhut Jolokia plants from a reputable nursery here this year and 15 of them turned out to be what I assume is Caribbean Red. I don't think they were intentionally selling incorrectly labeled plants... they didn't charge any more for the Bhuts than any other pepper plant they sell. It happens.

Back