• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Red Douglah

Ok you guys know me by now always coming up with new varieties that meets all the expectations, anyway my next project is to get this Red Douglah stable and consistent before adding to the website. This plant was in a row of classic brown douglah, for some reason all the plant were turning brown except this one turned red. So I went back and checked my growing list and documentation so see that I didn’t do any make( not that I planted nay thing will look like this Red Douglah) but to make sure I didn’t mess up somewhere I went back and verified that all what was in that row are Douglahs well they are but this one decided to turn Red I said that sounds cool lets isolate this one as well and see what happens next year so I started isolating the Red Douglah plan from the rest of the Brown douglahs and hope next year it will stay Red and here we have a new variety for you guys to grow, test, try, and enjoy.

Red Douglah
hpim3186.jpg

hpim3187.jpg

hpim3188a.jpg

Red and Brown Douglahs
hpim3190f.jpg

hpim3191j.jpg

hpim3192w.jpg

hpim3193b.jpg

hpim3194.jpg

its just as hot now very very HOT

So basically... a 7-Pot.
i guess u can say that... just wierd as it turned red, and the seeds came from bown mother plant all th others were brown except this one, so if u call it red 7 pod. thats not where the seeds came from .. so i guess i call it Red douglah ... either one name not changing how bad this boy is

i guess u can say that... just wierd as it turned red, and the seeds came from bown mother plant all th others were brown except this one, so if u call it red 7 pod. thats not where the seeds came from .. so i guess i call it Red douglah ... either one name not changing how bad this boy is
It does look badass.
TriniHottie was the one to say the Douglah is basically a brown 7-Pot. it does not mean ALL brown 7-Pots are indeed Douglahs, but that all Douglahs are in fact 7-Pots. so a red Douglah would be just a really mean 7-Pot. add the fact the name Douglah refers directly to the color of the pod and it will be just like having a "Red Chocolate Habanero". :lol:

It does sound reasonable the plant has some red genes in it, and they just happen to show up every now and then. :)

Anyhow, excellent find. :cheers:

It does look badass.
TriniHottie was the one to say the Douglah is basically a brown 7-Pot. it does not mean ALL brown 7-Pots are indeed Douglahs, but that all Douglahs are in fact 7-Pots. so a red Douglah would be just a really mean 7-Pot. add the fact the name Douglah refers directly to the color of the pod and it will be just like having a "Red Chocolate Habanero". :lol:

It does sound reasonable the plant has some red genes in it, and they just happen to show up every now and then. :)

you are right EVERY douglah is a 7 POD but not every 7 POD is a douglah, in other words, the douglah is a from of 7 POD but no the ONLY or the Original Brown 7 pod as i recived and grewo both, heat wise, ED from GA said the brown is hottest thing he ever tried and that dude ate them all buth and all. he said the douglah was not as bad as the brown 7 pod i sent him.. so at the end its all fun and heat

looking forward to you getting these stabilized. they sound like they will be a great varient to an already great chile.

How does the taste/aroma compare?

Very strong 7 pod aroma and high concentration of capsicum oil, when they turn red you can cut the pod and see the placenta dry like paper on the side walls. I would say this one can be used for extreme hot sauce making, if next generation turns red I will have you guys try it and offer on the website. Slightly it does have hint of sweetness when you first bite into it, the time for the whole mouth to burn is faster than the original 7 pod Red, so it is worth investing in and sharing with other chiliheads around the world as this my become somebody’s favorite variety

It does look badass.

+1
You can't really have a red douglah since the word douglah refers directly to the pod color.
Its just like having a red mulato, it doesn't make sense
I wouldn't even call the douglah a 7 pod since it is a cross and really only half 7 pod. I think its good to have a new name like douglah instead of people labelling their crosses after the more popular parent plant, while forgetting about the other parent.

+1
You can't really have a red douglah since the word douglah refers directly to the pod color.
Its just like having a red mulato, it doesn't make sense
I wouldn't even call the douglah a 7 pod since it is a cross and really only half 7 pod. I think its good to have a new name like douglah instead of people labelling their crosses after the more popular parent plant, while forgetting about the other parent.

what you think we call this thing... it was born for douglah.. but not douglah in color its red in color... was not from the RED 7pod seeds.. so let me know what u think... i belive if the situation is explianed like .. this plant is not the douglah brwon douglah.... it came from it... its not the Red 7 pod never came from red 7 pods plant... we need name.. that is most close to the shape, size, taate, and most imprtantly the origin of the "cross" if you call it cross, i must be between two varieties... so far do you see any differance between the red and the bown other than the color... i mean i compleatly agree and understand not to give random names for random breeds, but just like you hate to see new things coing up and dont like to have differant varieties, i belive many chileads are liking the idea that yes lets have blue douglah if we can.. bcz the fun part of grwoing pepper its endless innovative process where you mix and breed and share.. well in the RED douglah case i was not even working on mixing breeding or nothing, it just came one differant plant. from same mother all brown but one so if we dont want the people to get confused, we can call it red habanero or red corss, unknow from what morther plan.. or red c.bccatum bcz its not.. anyways i like your feed back and concerns but we are not to confuse the chiliheads or present fake names.. or varities.. at the end its up to the chilihead to decide if its worth trying or not....
thanks for the reply

Very strong 7 pod aroma and high concentration of capsicum oil, when they turn red you can cut the pod and see the placenta dry like paper on the side walls. I would say this one can be used for extreme hot sauce making, if next generation turns red I will have you guys try it and offer on the website. Slightly it does have hint of sweetness when you first bite into it, the time for the whole mouth to burn is faster than the original 7 pod Red, so it is worth investing in and sharing with other chiliheads around the world as this my become somebody’s favorite variety

Well, it sounds very pleasant. As to what to name it... don't go too crazy over it :-)

Back