Chilibase.info Introduction

My name is Dennis and in may 2011 I started a Chilli Pepper database in Dutch because there wasn't any in the Dutch language.

Since then the website became more and more popular in the Netherlands and Belgium. With over 40 visits a day I found it was time to go international. Now I also have an English version online and want to share this database with the rest of the world.

Chilibase.info is a database with over 250 chilli peppers illustrated with photos. At this time the most of the chilli peppers in the database have a Dutch description, but with a Translate button from Google translate you should be able to read the description.

In the future all chilli peppers should have an English description, without a translate button.

What makes Chilibase.info unique? The identification page. Here you can identify your unknown chilli pepper by checking your chilli pepper characterestics on the identify pages checkboxes.

If someone has suggestions about the website or wants to help translate the Google translated Dutch information in good English you can always send me an email to contact@chilibase.info

With kind regards,

Dennis

:welcome: from Australia!

I love a good chilli database... especially with lots of good pics. Awesome work! :cool:

The identification page isn't working for me though. :(

I'm getting an error:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Procedure or function 'InsertPeperLog' expects parameter '@Language', which was not supplied.

Nice start
With the Morouga red, you should specify that it is a Trinidad scorpion morouga red since there is already a Trinidad landrace variety called Morouga/Moruga red(and yellow) which is very different

Good start but in just looking around found some of the pics mislabeled as to what they are when using the identification page. For example one listed as a Thai hot culinary that has huge leaves more like a Capsicum chinense type. One of the hardest things will be getting quality examples of each of the types/strains in picture form when they are not your personal plants as many out there being grown may be hybrids from open pollination or mislabeled pictures in the first place. Just about everyone on here has seen poor or incorrect examples of peppers online. Also as Omri has pointed out make sure to get permission from the rightful owner of pics floating around online. I have tracked down others online who were using pics of my personal birds for example and been told that the person who took the pic gave them permission to use it and followed it back a couple different people before finding the start of the misuse of them.

I did notice that the yellow trinidad morouga scorpion was the same as the red picture too.
I do see that he has a section for giving the photographer credit, just don't know if all have been credited?

I did notice that the yellow trinidad morouga scorpion was the same as the red picture too.
I do see that he has a section for giving the photographer credit, just don't know if all have been credited?
I went back trough and checked the trin scorp pics and found most of the pics are over one space of where they should be so the morougas have pics labeled butch t and the butch t has pics labeled trin scorp and so on. Also one of my favorites in purple the Serrano has pics that are from online wrongly labeled as I mentioned earlier already and are actually purple jalapenos not Serrano. So lots of work still to go before it is ready for action. Hope this helps you get cleaned up for others to use.

When I started with my database I didn't realise that you sometimes need permission from the rightfull owner to use the pictures found on the web.

All new pictures I add to the database will have a source indication. I try to give the older pictures a source indication to. Then I think that the use of the pictures falls under fair-use by the American law.

The Thai hot culinairy pictures are taken from my own plants. I got the seeds from a well known pepperseed compagny in the Netherlands, so I thought it should be the right species.

If someone thinks there are wrong photos or incorrect information in the database, I hope he/she will send me an email so I can update the database with the right information and/or photos.

When I started with my database I didn't realise that you sometimes need permission from the rightfull owner to use the pictures found on the web.
Sometimes? unless specified otherwise, you should ALWAYS have the copyright owner's permission.

All new pictures I add to the database will have a source indication. I try to give the older pictures a source indication to. Then I think that the use of the pictures falls under fair-use by the American law.
It does not. at least some of your pictures belong to individuals and you use them as part of your website and free service. they're not yours to do so.

Another problem with finding random pictures online is identifying the actual variety. especially when the intended use is recording the different varieties.

Take the Trinidad Scorpion picture in the Trinidad Scorpion 'Butch T' gallery taken from POTAWIE. I'm not so sure it's a Butch T.

It does not. at least some of your pictures belong to individuals and you use them as part of your website and free service. they're not yours to do so.

Wikipedia said:
17 U.S.C. § 107 Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 17 U.S.C. § 106 and 17 U.S.C. § 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include:
1.the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
2.the nature of the copyrighted work;
3.the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
4.the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.
The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of fair use if such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors.

1. I use the photos for nonprofit and educational use
2. The copyrigthed photos are posted on the internet with non commercial nature
3. I use just a small part of an owners material
4. I think there will be no market or value effect by using the photos.

So I think that the use of the photos still is within the fair-use law.

1. I use the photos for nonprofit and educational use
2. The copyrigthed photos are posted on the internet with non commercial nature
3. I use just a small part of an owners material
4. I think there will be no market or value effect by using the photos.

So I think that the use of the photos still is within the fair-use law.
Sounds right, only that educational purposes do not refer to publishing it online. so no.

Take the Trinidad Scorpion picture in the Trinidad Scorpion 'Butch T' gallery taken from POTAWIE. I'm not so sure it's a Butch T.

Yes those are 3 of my Butch T scorpion pics and if you look on my Flickr site all my pics are set under "all rights reserved". Please ask for permission to use pics, they are not just free for everyone to use. I see these particular pics all over the internet now, people are even using thm as avatars and profile pics :(
The Scotch bonnet pics in the database don't look much like bonnets to me. One of the pics looks like an annuum and the others look more hab-like than bonnet-like

POTAWIE its because the pepper pictures are so damn good buddy and i think you must start watermarking them as it seems some people just cant ask for permission. :)

Talas, you're still alive :)
Flickr has recently made it more difficult for people to steal pics but I should still watermark them. When people use these pics on their websites it becomes very easy for others to re-steal :(

Back