•  

Photo
- - - - -

Vote! The Best Meal I Ever Ate TD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
130 replies to this topic

Poll: Vote! (48 member(s) have cast votes)

The Best Meal I Ever Ate Was...

1. Andy's Sage Fried Chicken at Hash House A-Go-Go in Las Vegas recreated by mjdiamond83 (3 votes [6.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

2. A collaboration of a lot of travel and restaurants recreated by JayT (14 votes [29.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.17%

3. Eggs Benedict Victoria, British Columbia, Canada recreated by Scoville DeVille (13 votes [27.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.08%

4. Tandoori Chicken with Mango Salsa by a lovely young lady recreated by megamoo (2 votes [4.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.17%

5. Seared Steak Sliders with brie at a restaurant in Jerome, AZ recreated by ImpyChick (2 votes [4.17%] - View)

6. Mom's Chorizo Cheese Meatloaf recretaed by texas blues (2 votes [4.17%] - View)

7. Lahmajun - Lahmacun - Turkish Pizza recreated by Ela (2 votes [4.17%] - View)

8. Primanti Bro's Pastrami Sammy at Three Rivers Stadium recreated by frydad4 (5 votes [10.42%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.42%

9. RocketMama's Paella recreated by RocketMan (1 votes [2.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.08%

10. Fettuccine Apollo from 13 Coins in Seattle recreated by salsalady (1 votes [2.08%] - View)

11. Shawarma and Hummus at Byblos in Fort Worth recreated by LunchBox (1 votes [2.08%] - View)

12. A Chimichanga at Tortilla Flat, AZ recreated by SumOfMyBits (2 votes [4.17%] - View)

Vote

#1 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 20,426 posts
  • aka:Pookie
  • (x2)

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:57 PM

Please read the stories and enjoy the recreations of these members' special meals, past and present.

Vote for your favorite!

(One entry did not post PoL, and is not listed.)

Special thanks to geeme for helping moderate the entry requirements.

OHH YEAHHH!

#2 LunchBox

LunchBox

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 1,492 posts
  • aka:LunchBox
  • (x1)

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:07 PM

Diamond, TB, Mega, Sum...you knuckleheads are hurtin' me over here!

They all look great...this TD is like trying to decide which SI swimsuit model is the hottest.
Let your anger be as a monkey in a pinata; hiding with the candy, hoping the children do not break through with a stick.

#3 mjdiamond83

mjdiamond83

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:29 PM

If there was a restaurant with a menu consisting of these twelve dishes, I would not be able to make my mind up. Everything looked amazing. I'd probable pass on scovilles dish though, as I don't know how sanitary it is leaving a used merkin on the counter, even though it does look like a classy piece (Halloween is over, Elvira needs her Merkin back!) ;)

#4 SumOfMyBits

SumOfMyBits

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,014 posts
  • aka:Sum
  • (x7)

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:34 PM

Had to re-read Impy's... so many memories. I've been to Jerome countless times. As she described it, it is an old mining town built on a steep mountain and is now inhabited by "hippie folk". It's basically now an artist community with some great history... I think part of that history is Tool. If memory serves me correct, that band wrote a bunch of their greatest albums there.

If you ever find yourself there, hit up The Spirit Room and dance with some colorful locals. It's the best.
yup

#5 JayT

JayT

On Fire!

• Reviewers
  • 14,947 posts
  • aka:Bunny Commander
  • (x6)

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:56 PM

FD I have been to Pittsburgh many times and Primanti Bros. is always on the itinerary. You recreated it well.

That's it, say goodbye to your precious bunnies....

#6 Nova

Nova

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 13,558 posts
  • aka:Fathead

Posted 07 November 2011 - 03:05 AM

Oh yeah Mega. The revolving restaurant is the ticket!
The person who says it cannot be done, should not interrupt the person doing it.

#7 Sethsquatch

Sethsquatch

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 920 posts
  • aka:Squatch

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:45 AM

And now I need me some eggs benedict. Thanks Scovie!
Chasing my 3 year old and his Doberman/Lab puppy sidekick with a big shot of whisky.

#8 Omri

Omri

On Fire!

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,057 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:05 AM

I gave my vote to frydad. :)

LunchBox, just a few comments.
Hummus literally means "chickpea" and the dish is a paste made of mostly if not only chickpeas.
Batata means sweet potatoes.
My flickr Album:
www.flickr.com/photos/omri_shuster/

#9 biscgolf

biscgolf

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:12 AM

great set of entries- you guys rock!
"my mind, it ain't so open... that anything can crawl right in"- magazine

#10 megamoo

megamoo

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 2,503 posts
  • (x1)

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:22 AM

hmmm well I have it narrowed down to..... 8 :P This decision will require some time.

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do - Freya Stark
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. - W. Churchill

Mooglog  http://thehotpepper....oglog-20132014/

#11 Justaguy

Justaguy

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 5,433 posts
  • aka:JAG and Knepper's Peppers

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:33 AM

Had to go with Frydad. I am a sucker for pastrami.
www.KneppersPeppers.com Hot Sauce
Taste the Flavor, Feel the Heat

#12 RocketMan

RocketMan

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,946 posts
  • aka:RM
  • (x2)

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:39 AM

Well at least I have it narrowed down to 4 now. I should be able to get down to a vote in time.

Answering The Call For Fire!  If you can't stand the Heat, don't tickle the Dragon!

#13 Scoville DeVille

Scoville DeVille

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 11,357 posts
  • aka:Scovie, Stamp Sheriff, Molé King
  • (x5)

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:06 AM

This part hurts my brain...
I might have to base my vote on the story, hmm...

hahah mjdiamond... That merkin is brand new from the merkin shack, and TB said it was worth half a crown!

#14 robbie

robbie

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:19 AM

I was completely unable to decide so I opted to give my vote
to Lunchbox for using the same square bowls and plates from
Wal-Mart that the wife and I own.

#15 LunchBox

LunchBox

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 1,492 posts
  • (x1)

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:29 PM

I was completely unable to decide so I opted to give my vote
to Lunchbox for using the same square bowls and plates from
Wal-Mart that the wife and I own.

YES! The new plates DO WORK!!! ;)
Let your anger be as a monkey in a pinata; hiding with the candy, hoping the children do not break through with a stick.

#16 LunchBox

LunchBox

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 1,492 posts
  • (x1)

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:34 PM

I gave my vote to frydad. :)

LunchBox, just a few comments.
Hummus literally means "chickpea" and the dish is a paste made of mostly if not only chickpeas.
Batata means sweet potatoes.

Well...hopefully I did it some justice. There are a few things I'd change, as far as methods, but the flavors were spot on. The hummus at Byblos is very rich, and has a lot of stuff in it. I was basing the recipe off what I could taste in it, and about half a dozen internet recipes. From there, I kinda made it my own...like theirs, lol.

#17 Omri

Omri

On Fire!

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,057 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:36 PM

Well...hopefully I did it some justice. There are a few things I'd change, as far as methods, but the flavors were spot on. The hummus at Byblos is very rich, and has a lot of stuff in it. I was basing the recipe off what I could taste in it, and about half a dozen internet recipes. From there, I kinda made it my own...like theirs, lol.

Well some Hummus recipes do include a small portion of Tahini/Tehina (sesame paste) added.
It did look really tasty. good work. :)
My flickr Album:
www.flickr.com/photos/omri_shuster/

#18 RocketMan

RocketMan

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,946 posts
  • aka:RM
  • (x2)

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:48 PM

LB my wife is part Lebanesse and I have had numerous kinds of Hummus when we go visit her family. It seems like every family has their own verson of it. So no matter how you made it if it's what you like just call it your families Hummus.

My favorite though is just a basic hummus Chickpeas, Tahini, parsley, Roasted garlic, Olive Oil, Lemon Juice, Salt and Pepper, though I have put some smoked Jalapenos in before too. Buy whole wheat pita's and use a Pizza cutter to cut them into wedges and toast them into chips. AWESOME with a good beer.

RM

Answering The Call For Fire!  If you can't stand the Heat, don't tickle the Dragon!

#19 LUCKYDOG

LUCKYDOG

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,459 posts
  • aka:Th1n1ce

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:40 PM

Sum - I voted for yours, and that is not to say that everyone didnt do a fantastic job, I mean the food presented was spectacular!, but I have been to the exact spot in Tortilla Flats and sat in the Saddle stool with my wife of 5 yrs at the time (5 yr anniversary day) saw all the money tacked to the wall and ceiling with all the rough,tough cream puffs of bikers there :lol: we both had the chimichangs and took in the "atmosphere" before heading back to the hotel. What a trip back in time man thanks

#20 Emu

Emu

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:01 PM

I had to go with the eggs- those look killer! I've a bit of a soft spot for eggs benedict, plus I loved the story. Some good friends of mine had a band for years that I used to do sound for; and your tale brought back some similar memories of great nights and rough mornings!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users