• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Vote! The Best Meal I Ever Ate TD

The Best Meal I Ever Ate Was...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
Please read the stories and enjoy the recreations of these members' special meals, past and present.

Vote for your favorite!

(One entry did not post PoL, and is not listed.)

Special thanks to geeme for helping moderate the entry requirements.

Diamond, TB, Mega, Sum...you knuckleheads are hurtin' me over here!

They all look great...this TD is like trying to decide which SI swimsuit model is the hottest.

If there was a restaurant with a menu consisting of these twelve dishes, I would not be able to make my mind up. Everything looked amazing. I'd probable pass on scovilles dish though, as I don't know how sanitary it is leaving a used merkin on the counter, even though it does look like a classy piece (Halloween is over, Elvira needs her Merkin back!) ;)

Had to re-read Impy's... so many memories. I've been to Jerome countless times. As she described it, it is an old mining town built on a steep mountain and is now inhabited by "hippie folk". It's basically now an artist community with some great history... I think part of that history is Tool. If memory serves me correct, that band wrote a bunch of their greatest albums there.

If you ever find yourself there, hit up The Spirit Room and dance with some colorful locals. It's the best.

FD I have been to Pittsburgh many times and Primanti Bros. is always on the itinerary. You recreated it well.

I gave my vote to frydad. :)

LunchBox, just a few comments.
Hummus literally means "chickpea" and the dish is a paste made of mostly if not only chickpeas.
Batata means sweet potatoes.

This part hurts my brain...
I might have to base my vote on the story, hmm...

hahah mjdiamond... That merkin is brand new from the merkin shack, and TB said it was worth half a crown!

I was completely unable to decide so I opted to give my vote
to Lunchbox for using the same square bowls and plates from
Wal-Mart that the wife and I own.

I gave my vote to frydad. :)

LunchBox, just a few comments.
Hummus literally means "chickpea" and the dish is a paste made of mostly if not only chickpeas.
Batata means sweet potatoes.

Well...hopefully I did it some justice. There are a few things I'd change, as far as methods, but the flavors were spot on. The hummus at Byblos is very rich, and has a lot of stuff in it. I was basing the recipe off what I could taste in it, and about half a dozen internet recipes. From there, I kinda made it my own...like theirs, lol.

Well...hopefully I did it some justice. There are a few things I'd change, as far as methods, but the flavors were spot on. The hummus at Byblos is very rich, and has a lot of stuff in it. I was basing the recipe off what I could taste in it, and about half a dozen internet recipes. From there, I kinda made it my own...like theirs, lol.
Well some Hummus recipes do include a small portion of Tahini/Tehina (sesame paste) added.
It did look really tasty. good work. :)

LB my wife is part Lebanesse and I have had numerous kinds of Hummus when we go visit her family. It seems like every family has their own verson of it. So no matter how you made it if it's what you like just call it your families Hummus.

My favorite though is just a basic hummus Chickpeas, Tahini, parsley, Roasted garlic, Olive Oil, Lemon Juice, Salt and Pepper, though I have put some smoked Jalapenos in before too. Buy whole wheat pita's and use a Pizza cutter to cut them into wedges and toast them into chips. AWESOME with a good beer.

RM

Sum - I voted for yours, and that is not to say that everyone didnt do a fantastic job, I mean the food presented was spectacular!, but I have been to the exact spot in Tortilla Flats and sat in the Saddle stool with my wife of 5 yrs at the time (5 yr anniversary day) saw all the money tacked to the wall and ceiling with all the rough,tough cream puffs of bikers there :lol: we both had the chimichangs and took in the "atmosphere" before heading back to the hotel. What a trip back in time man thanks

I had to go with the eggs- those look killer! I've a bit of a soft spot for eggs benedict, plus I loved the story. Some good friends of mine had a band for years that I used to do sound for; and your tale brought back some similar memories of great nights and rough mornings!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back