misc What would you do?

so, I recently created a new label, and I wanted to update the 2 product photos on my website. The last photos I'd done myself, but I wanted something a little nicer, so I figured I'd get a professional photog involved

I looked on craiglists where a bunch of local photogrpahers adverstised their services. One person offered to do the job for free, in return for having the imeages in their product portfolio. I initially jumpoed on that, but it turned out that person was pretty unreliable, and so I quickly gavce up on that idea.

Another guy offered to do it for $75 an hour, with an estimate of 2 hours, and that price would include the high res digital images.

That sounded reasonable, and I was all set to give him the work, when I was introduced to a photographer by a friend at a social event. She is a recently divorced lady in her 50's, struggling financially, so I figured I'd give her the work.

We discussed the project, but didn't talk price (my bad; last time that will happen). She said she was busy but would fit me in if I didn't need the work done urgently

Day 1: We arrange to meet somewhere convenient to both of us so I could drop off the samples. She's a no show, doesn't call me, doesn't pick up her phone when I call her

Day 2: She calls me, apologized profusely, says she got caught up in another project and forgot to call. Hmm , ok. My instinct says run away, but I press on, because I'm helping out a friend of a friend, right? So I go out of my way to drop off the samples at her house. I brief her on what I'm looking for (plain white background, with a slight reflection on the base, a common technique, there are lots of examples on the web, including apple.com)

A couple of weeks go by, I get the low res proofs - she makes a few tweaks and we are done. Images look good. She sends me the invoice:

2 hours of photography work at $150 per hour
1 hour photoshop at $75 per hour
$150 per image for hi res digital images

Total of $675 for 2 pictures

I almost fell off my chair

I feel like an idiot for not establishing the price up front, but I also feel taken advantage of. $150 per hour in this economy? Seriously? Plus $150 for per *digital* image? Those are some expensive bytes

Any recommendations on what I should do here? I have not spent that much money on *anything* setting up this business

Tell her to keep the pictures. That's wayyyy to much $. You can apologize and tell her about the other guys prices, and "assumed" that was the going rate. Act dumb about it, but firm about NOT PAYING $675!!!!!!! I would just flat refuse.
Since she did not provide an Estimate or a Proposal, with the scope of work and cost, ahead of time, the law is on your side too. Forget about her, and go get that other guy...
Hope this helps!

I totally agree with Scoville. I'd walk away. Even if there's some outside chance she takes you to court there would be no contract established as price is generally recognized as a key term needed for assent. If you didn't use the pictures for their intended use, on your website (I doubt any court would say you are unjustly enriched and make you pay a reasonable fee for the services [which wouldn't be the price she set anyways]). It sounds like she knew that her price was outlandish and purposely avoided mentioning price before she went to the shoot. Any scrupulous person would absolutely make sure there was an agreed upon price before doing the work. I wouldn't feel bad at all about walking away. If you want to get some cheap, high quality shots done, I'd recommend seeing if there's an art institute near you and post an advertisement on their bulletin board. I bet there would be lots of college students who are pretty skilled and have good equipment who would take some photos for next to nothing!

Tell her to keep the pictures. That's wayyyy to much $. You can apologize and tell her about the other guys prices, and "assumed" that was the going rate. Act dumb about it, but firm about NOT PAYING $675!!!!!!! I would just flat refuse.
Since she did not provide an Estimate or a Proposal, with the scope of work and cost, ahead of time, the law is on your side too. Forget about her, and go get that other guy...
Hope this helps!

+525

Great points Diamond! I am a General Contractor, and I can't even imagine just doing some work without making sure we both have a clear understanding! After all, "Contract" is right there in the title! LOL

Talk about getting taking advantage of :( . Everytime work is involved and the word friend comes into play it rarely ends up with a positive ending. I would tell her I will give you 150 bucks and that is my final offer. :lol:

You have one quote already, I suggest you get two more similar quotes in writing then present them to her as an established 'going rate' for her services. Tell her that you'd be quite happy to pay her the going rate plus 5% for the misunderstanding, which you should insist is on her side and not yours.
It's quite possible that she charged you her genuine rate and wasn't trying to take advantage of a loose contract. I charge $450 for an entire website and I know people who charge $3000+ for the same service. Act professionally and start by giving her the benefit of the doubt, and you'll settle it amicably enough.

You must have an S tattoed on your forehead! No wonder she is "struggling" so much at those prices i assume people would tell her to shove it all the time! :lol:

OK. I am in the business. This sounds excessive. Do you have examples of the work? If you are using a professional AD photographer/agency it is really cheap, if not get details about what each item entailed.

2 hours of photography work at $150 per hour - did she set up a photo shoot with lights in a studio? Why did it take 2 hours? Did she even take the photos?
1 hour photoshop at $75 per hour - This sounds right.
$150 per image for hi res digital images - Never heard of this. You wanted a high-res image as the final product. The ONLY time I ever heard of this was when getting my sons picture taken. To buy the copyright of 30 photos was around $275.00

OK. I am in the business. This sounds excessive. Do you have examples of the work? If you are using a professional AD photographer/agency it is really cheap, if not get details about what each item entailed.

2 hours of photography work at $150 per hour - did she set up a photo shoot with lights in a studio? Why did it take 2 hours? Did she even take the photos?
1 hour photoshop at $75 per hour - This sounds right.
$150 per image for hi res digital images - Never heard of this. You wanted a high-res image as the final product. The ONLY time I ever heard of this was when getting my sons picture taken. To buy the copyright of 30 photos was around $275.00

No, its not a professional agency - she operates out of her home

If she's operating out of her home and you dropped off the product.....WAY over priced!

No contract is good for you. If she won't accept an offer in line with the quote you received, then walk away.

Several years ago, we had a "professional" do our taxes. I had all the numbers totaled and laid out by item, all she had to do was plug-and-chug into the form. She wanted to charge us $550. I came unglued, ended up paying $350 (which was still too much imo). Next year....TurboTax!

For $675 you can buy your own digital camera and make ALL the pics you want! Seriously, we bought a great camera for less than $500.

Overpriced is not the issue, you had a verbal contract to perform the work, she performed the work. Sorry but you should pay, it's a tough lesson. Why the heck didn't you get a quote?

Are you happy with it? The only thing I would dispute is the file charge. She worked in hi-res and sent you low, meaning, she already has the high. That's just a file that can be sent, no work involved. The work was already done.

Too late to call it overpriced, when you didn't bother to ask what she charges, and then commissioned her.

PS. I've paid for logos that I ended up not liking or using, but paid because they did the work, but always got a quote.

I think you should pay, but only because the work is already done. you should have checked for prices BEFORE giving her the job. I personally would not hire her. I got to work with famous, award-winning photographers and they didn't charge that much. they charge by the hour. that's it. they don't do graphics though (that's my job... lol).

Sorry THP, and Omri. I seriously disagree. Verbal contracts include price, scope of work, and deadline or timeline. edit: AHEAD OF TIME. [Servicer's responsibility]
This is like a puzzle that we can't know all of the pieces. I would love it if the "LAW" favored the person providing the service, but in this case the "LAW" would work properly.
Customers of mine don't know all of the questions to even ask. They want a kitchen remodel, and I talk to them for initially, a couple hours, Then I bring up money because I am high end.
9 times out of ten, they're more concerned with the dishwasher being to the right of the sink (for example). After I get them all hot and bothered with the "kitchen details" they want to have me start the next day.
That's when I bring up, "based on what we've talked about, it will cost this much". Well, there you have it. If I never brought up the cost, and just started tearing into their kitchen, I WOULD BE SCREWED. period.
It's the same thing... If she's "high end", money is first, NOT the work.
Any Mechanic, Carpenter, Electrician, Butcher, or Photographer in this case, worth his weight in skill, would be just as concerned with the client feeling as comfortable as possible, with everything that the job entails, (including cost).
I don't do this for practice, like so many do, they're easy to find...
I'm not saying she is high end (because she's not), that is just not professional. You take CARE of your clients, on the FRONT end as well as the back end. (that has a strange echo here at THP LOL) LOL!
If you go to ANY store, and see something you might want, take it up to the cash register, and they tell you it's twice what you thought it might be... you walk away is all I'm sayin'.
I have to admit, right now I'm not "ON" but I feel VERY protective of Clients. I couldn't give 2 shits about people selling there "abilities" and not backing them up.

I also think that being told :tear: a friend of a friend, divorced, :tear: etc.. That story didn't go both ways, she took advantage :tear:
Did SHE know that he was made to feel like HE was doing HER a favor? hmmm...
Puzzle....

Back