• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Swamp Bhuty Stinger!!

So early this year I started growing Tomatillos out in the nursery. Mainly because I sell HOT pepper plants and most people like to make hot sauce with them and tomatillos make a good sauce base...so....I grew them :) Sold quite a few actually, and had a bunch of them ripen up recently so I figured it was SAUCE time!! :) The name I gave it is Swamp Bhuty Stinger..."Swamp" for the tomatillo green base, "Bhuty" for the Bhut Jolokia pods in it, and "Stinger" for the Trinidad Scorpion pods in it :) Plus it does "Sting the booty" on the way out the next day!! Ha Ha :) So this sauce was born :) Heres how it all went down in Chef Dale's Kitchen tonight....
These are the Peppers going in this sauce... Trinidad Scorpion Red, Bhut Jolokia Red, and Red Congo's
IMAG0830.jpg

This is how the sauce starts with a puree of Tomatillo over medium low heat...
IMAG0831.jpg

Next we have some peeled garlic cloves that are added...whole!
IMAG0833.jpg

Let that cook for about 5 minutes or so...
IMAG0839.jpg

Then add the fresh PEPPERS :) I dont cut or slice or mince or dice my peppers...I find I get better flavor in the sauce if I just tear the peppers in half and throw them in! :) Let the blender do the rest later.....trust me here....dont knock it till you try it...First pic is a cross section of the Scorpions i used in this...yes seeds and ALL!!
IMAG0837.jpg

The peppers torn and added to the sauce...still over medium low heat..
IMAG0846.jpg

We are going to now add a little fresh ground Sea Salt...
IMAG0847.jpg

And fresh ground Pepper...
IMAG0848.jpg

to be continued....

Continued....

Now we add a little bit of plain ol cane sugar...
IMAG0849.jpg

And some of Chef Dales Secret Chili Powder...Consists of 33 different peppers! :) YUMMY!
IMAG0851.jpg

Now we increase the heat a little, just under meduim heat, and cook for about 15-20 minutes stirring occasionally...the garlic will soften up through this process and you can feel free to mash it up a little with your stirring utencil :)
IMAG0850.jpg

After 15-20 minutes of cooking...turn off heat and add the sauce to the blender...Put lid on and PUREE!
IMAG0854.jpg

Now comes the FUN part! Heres where we blow your mind just a little...Next we add just a little apple juice and FRESH Raspberries! :)
IMAG0855.jpg

Now comes the vinegar to finish the process.....
IMAG0856.jpg

After the vinegar...its PUREE time again! You can either strain the sauce with a chinois or leave with tiny chunkies in it :) ENJOY!
IMAG0857.jpg

This Sauce is AMAZING!!! Im gonna bottle some and send to a few select friends on here and get some feedback :)

That looks great. Really hot, but great! I have tons of wild raspberry bushes behind my house. I might have to recreate this next year. Incorporating fresh fruit into hot sauces works very well. I made a blueberry-chocolate habanero barbecue sauce a couple weeks ago. It came out great. Let me know if you want to trade samples.

If your leaving it chunky I would suggest a canning jar. If you have a food saver that would keep it sealed very well. Otherwise you gotta go old school.
If your sauce is not chunky then you can use the woozy bottle. There are a couple good threads here that can help direct you in how to properly seal them.
The sauce sounds great though!
Aaron

Hold it, your in Tampa. Go to Publix and get some bottles of Trapleys Bull. 61 cents each and no shipping charges. Dump the bull, wash and steralize the bottles and your golden. Besides they're great bottles. 6 ounces.

Good looking sauce, I love the color the Raspbeeries give it. What consistency did it come out as? As you didn't use any carrots or other ingredient that would add some thickness to it did you cook it down a bit to make it a little thicker or is it a thinner sauce?

Cheers,
RM

That sauce looks outstanding! I too prefer to just cut the peppers in half and toss them in. I don't mind having the seeds in my sauce at all. Actually, I like the look of them suspended in the bottle.

:cheers:

Nice twist to the "Tomatillo" sauce... :)

But seriously....your chef's knife has lost its keen bevel edge, and what's with the "Rival"...........no "Vitamix...?... :(

just kidding... :lol:

Greg

That looks great. Really hot, but great! I have tons of wild raspberry bushes behind my house. I might have to recreate this next year. Incorporating fresh fruit into hot sauces works very well. I made a blueberry-chocolate habanero barbecue sauce a couple weeks ago. It came out great. Let me know if you want to trade samples.

I swear I saw a post with this, but now I can't find it. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Back