• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Got Aphids? Other Pests? Or Fungal Diseases?

Hey Everybody!
PepperGuru recently warned me of aphids showing up on my plants that I'm overwintering..
I didn't see any when I brought them in and thought I might have gotten lucky..

Nope.

2 weeks later I found a ton of aphids on almost all of my plants.
He told me to hit him up when they showed and he had a solution..

Bonide Citrus, Fruit & Nut Orchard Spray
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&sugexp=ppwl&cp=15&gs_id=22&xhr=t&q=bonide+citrus+fruit+%26+nut+orchard+spray&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=590&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=15698544640429604089&sa=X&ei=gGq8ToyHHsjMiQL_qfC2Aw&sqi=2&ved=0CE4Q8wIwAw

First application did the trick and I am completely aphid free :cool: You can use it up to the day before harvest as well. I wish I knew about this when I was battling fungus gnats earlier this year. He told me you can buy it at Home Depot or Lowes, I found mine at the local michlendons.

I've tried countless sprays, homemade remedies and nothing worked near as well as this stuff.
I'm telling ya, this stuff should be called miracle in a bottle.
Just thought I'd spread the love :D

Thanks again Guru!

While this particular product is one of the best on the market, the important thing to remember is what's in it. Pyrethrins and sulphur. Both are natural pesticides and the sulphur is also a fungicide and bactericide. You can find liquid sources and make your own like I do, but the bonnide is great stuff for those more accustomed. To buying their stuff premade and ready to go...
I've been trying to tell guys on here for years about these two compounds but I guess it will have to be one of those "see for yourself" type of things... Pepper growers can be stubborn sometimes! Lol glad you got rid of them bastards bigcedar. And yes pyrethrins works great on all pests, even mites. But those are pretty rare pests to encounter so I can see the questioning. Happy growing!

Cedar, don't you work at a nursery?

+1 on the post above.

Yes, well, it's a 3in1 kind of deal.. Its a store that might as well be a permanent farmers market for produce, any dry goods you need, and every season that's fit we have a sh*tload of plants/trees/flowers/starts surrounding our store and filling our parking lot. Might I add they take a good 6-8hrs to water em all and give ya a nice farmers tan :lol:

While this particular product is one of the best on the market, the important thing to remember is what's in it. Pyrethrins and sulphur. Both are natural pesticides and the sulphur is also a fungicide and bactericide. You can find liquid sources and make your own like I do, but the bonnide is great stuff for those more accustomed. To buying their stuff premade and ready to go...I've been trying to tell guys on here for years about these two compounds but I guess it will have to be one of those "see for yourself" type of things... Pepper growers can be stubborn sometimes! Lol glad you got rid of them bastards bigcedar. And yes pyrethrins works great on all pests, even mites. But those are pretty rare pests to encounter so I can see the questioning. Happy growing!

Thanks for the info!

I read this thread before I checked out a Lowes near our home - that store is going out of business and everything was half off. I didn't find the stuff you guys were talking about, but I did find something called "Natria" and the active ingredients were sulfur and pyrethrins so it's gotta be about the same thing right? I'm overwintering 3 peppers for the first time, have all new dirt, pruned off all the leaves and thought I was clean, but no luck. At least I caught the aphids early and saw this thread. I guess the main thing is to get them all taken care of before I start my seeds in January or so.

I read this thread before I checked out a Lowes near our home - that store is going out of business and everything was half off. I didn't find the stuff you guys were talking about, but I did find something called "Natria" and the active ingredients were sulfur and pyrethrins so it's gotta be about the same thing right? I'm overwintering 3 peppers for the first time, have all new dirt, pruned off all the leaves and thought I was clean, but no luck. At least I caught the aphids early and saw this thread. I guess the main thing is to get them all taken care of before I start my seeds in January or so.
Never tried it. Let us know how it works! What's the %? Anywhere near 10% concentrate should be fine.

Glad to see people are getting some use out of this thread! :woohoo:
I, and I know Guru want to save alot of people alot of time and energy taking out the problems that arise with growing pepper plants and others. It sure has helped me out. Good to have an all in one spray to use. I'm so use to using 5 different things for fungus and insects.. and most of them not working. Great to have this product laying around, and also, your not covering your plants in bleach-like products to get the job down :D

In Israel Pyrethrins can't be marketed as insecticides for edible plants and a warning that it should not be applied on edible plants is a must. I personally would not eat anything that has anything to do with insecticides.

Until not too long ago I used to spray both neem oil solutions and nicotine, and even water with neem. now that I've learned the possible harm to humans, I only use neem and by spray. needless to say I wash my chiles very well before consumption. it works great with all insects. a good fungicide is cinnamon. please remember these are edibles and you, your family and friends will eventually consume them.

In Israel Pyrethrins can't be marketed as insecticides for edible plants and a warning that it should not be applied on edible plants is a must. I personally would not eat anything that has anything to do with insecticides.

Until not too long ago I used to spray both neem oil solutions and nicotine, and even water with neem. now that I've learned the possible harm to humans, I only use neem and by spray. needless to say I wash my chiles very well before consumption. it works great with all insects. a good fungicide is cinnamon. please remember these are edibles and you, your family and friends will eventually consume them.

Very interesting to hear about Israel's warnings to say the least. I envy that. Being a member of the USA that works in the produce business I can tell you that warnings about chemicals, insecticides, fungicides, preservatives, waxes, and gases to ripen product do not exist for a consumer. On the boxes that I personally put out daily, that consumers do not get to read, all of the above are listed. It is a very VERY, LARGE list. But, I'm the only one that gets to read it. Even the "organic" product is really, not, organic by any means. They still have the same shit list loaded up on non-organic products. They just.. claim to not use as much, but! they still use it. Organic is kind of silly to me, they charge twice the price yet use the same shit to grow the product. I mean comeon.. You ever seen a naturally grown banana? They don't look ANYTHING like the bananas at your local market.. half the size and taste. My point is, using this stuff, as opposed to what they're using on the product you're buying at your local market, atleast in the US.. It might as well be water lol.. I will tell you Omri, Cinnamon and Neem Oil is something I will be looking into! Also, no matter if I use this product, or nothing at all, I too wash my product 5times over with veggie wash n soap. These days.. you have to! Thanks for the reply :)

Pyrethrins is COMPLETELY safe and all natural. Especially, within the concentration levels of these liquids which is hardly any at all. In fact, out of all the organic pesticides, its the safest, even above neem. As with ANY thing labeled "pesticide" care should be taken and directions followed 100%. The main reason pyrethrins is safer than neem is due to comparing the residual effects of both. Neem has a residual buildup of toxicity, while pyrethrins, has none and is broken down extrememly rapidly by air and water. I wouldn't go drinking ANYTHING that has psticidal properties...lol but as for use on food production plants, pyrethrins is the safest.

I found a bunch of aphids on my plants the other day and bought some spray at the hardware store. It barely bothered them at all, so after reading about using soap spray and other remedies, I took some vinegar water that my wife uses for cleaning, mixed in some dish soap and some hot chili oil and spritzed liberally. Some of the leaves became a dark brittle looking green (I assume from the vinegar) but the aphids are drastically reduced. Not sure if it is a coincidence or not but I will keep watch.

I found a bunch of aphids on my plants the other day and bought some spray at the hardware store. It barely bothered them at all, so after reading about using soap spray and other remedies, I took some vinegar water that my wife uses for cleaning, mixed in some dish soap and some hot chili oil and spritzed liberally. Some of the leaves became a dark brittle looking green (I assume from the vinegar) but the aphids are drastically reduced. Not sure if it is a coincidence or not but I will keep watch.

I never had any luck with store bought sprays either until this one, I've tried all the organic sprays and they still only put a tiny dent in the problem. I won't use pesticides for many reasons obviously, I have 2 dogs and a baby girl, and I'm worried about myself as well. Only thing that has come close to this affect for me was just plain dawn dishsoap, I'd say half tbsp in a large spray bottle with plain ol water. Just gotta make sure to spray them in the early AM or evening so it doesn't burn. If I ran out of this product that's what I'd be using. Good luck!

I never had any luck with store bought sprays either until this one, I've tried all the organic sprays and they still only put a tiny dent in the problem. I won't use pesticides for many reasons obviously, I have 2 dogs and a baby girl, and I'm worried about myself as well. Only thing that has come close to this affect for me was just plain dawn dishsoap, I'd say half tbsp in a large spray bottle with plain ol water. Just gotta make sure to spray them in the early AM or evening so it doesn't burn. If I ran out of this product that's what I'd be using. Good luck!

Glad its working for you BigCedar. I knew it would :) Oh and that "artesian water smell" goes away pretty quickly too. I'd say the only downside to using organic sulphur as a surface ph adjust, is the smell. :lol: Its pretty cool though. It simply raises the ph of the plant material and viola, fungus/bacteria can't grow. Nature's cure. The pyrethrin is just what I like to use as the insecticide. If you mix your own stuff like I do, you can go with different insecticides like neem, add a little copper, what ever you want. Its all up to what works for you, the grower. I can just show you what I do and explain why its works so well.

In drier weather, you can cut WAY down on the ratio. It is very subtle in terms of the effect it has on your gardens mojo (doesn't harm the food soil web or keep beneficial predators away for more than a few hours).

Honestly, these spray things are the last resort for me. I prefer having a very healthy food soil web, feeding with teas, and treating/spraying with AACT. Anaerobically brewed teas. The micro-organisms that begin to colonize the tea after 24hours are like SUPER immune boosters for your plants, and act as antibiotics, if you will. This is type of preventive maintenance that can keep you from even needing to use sulphur, pyrethrin, copper, neem, clove, etc etc...the list goes on...some stinkier than the other...lol

Glad its working for you BigCedar. I knew it would :) Oh and that "artesian water smell" goes away pretty quickly too.

Thanks Guru :D smell went away in a couple days, I didn't really even notice it.
Definitely wouldn't mind learning how to make my own! as long as it doesn't cost a fortune that is. Cool that it's all natural, glad I learned about this before next year. Gonna save me alot of time. Man I envy that you can make your own soils n teas my friend. Id be hitting you up for all sorts of info and how to guides! Pretty sure though with my schedule though I wouldn't even come close to time for all of that, I mean might have the time for 20 or so plants but I'm shooting for 200 next year. So I'm gonna need almost instant solutions from soil, fertilizing, watering, fungicides, insecticides etc. We have pretty good soil at my work that my plants seem to love from year to year, sure it could be better, but it's quick, easy, and free (best part :lol: ). If retirement miraculously still exists when I'm of age :lol: I'll be making all my own stuff I hope. Or I'll scale back in a couple years n try it on out. Thanks for all the info you've posted on here btw :D

Checked homedepot and did not find any. Decided to buy online. Definitely will need this solution this winter as it will be my first overwintering try! Thanks BigCedar and Pepper-Guru.

Sounds like I have to find some... I do try not to spray, but i do have the soft body one, I wonder if a lil DE in a sprayer... would deliver the DE, water evaporate, then they could shred them selves every time they moved. Think it will work? I have some so it's worth a try. :beer:

Back